+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Sun S7xxx series backup - offsite replication in Technical; Over the next couple of years I'm looking at doing a couple of projects, firstly, this year I'll be looking ...

Thank Post

Sun S7xxx series backup - offsite replication

Over the next couple of years I'm looking at doing a couple of projects, firstly, this year I'll be looking to get a second disk based storage device to replicate our backups to - to be kept offsite (either in County DC or at another school to keep 100Mb throughput), then next year I'd like to look at getting a Unified Storage Device (ie Sun S7xxx series) to increase our usable space and increase access speeds to data across the network (and provide more VM space). This brings in a 2-fold issue:

We currently use BE2010R2 for our backup software, to make offsite more efficient we'd need to get the de-dupe addon (money money money) and then we'd need to look at options (NDMP?) for backing up the Unified Storage or NAS device efficiently.

I'd been looking at DPM for backups due to cost and the data transfer required for offsite replication (after initial) would be relatively small, and would be a constant stream (rather than a lets push 1.3TB on a saturday night), however this can't do CIFS or NDMP backup.

Looked at Ahsay due to it's offsite abilities, but not sure about it's Enterprise features (or CIFS backup ability). Other NDMP capable software seems to shift into enterprise class backup software (and enterprise cost)

So... how do you guys who have Sun devices do your backups, and what do those of you with offsite/online replication use (and if there's anyone who fits in both boats... info gratefully received).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    We will have, in 2012 when we have 2 campuses where we will also have 2 server rooms, a Sun / Oracle SAN on each site, these will replicate to each other using the built in replication features of the product so nothing too magical or more to explain on that I'm afraid but thats what that does.

In terms of backup, still setting ours up but I aim to be using CA ArcServe for backup onto an LTO5 autoloader via SMB shares which works fine from my testing so far and hasn't given any issues.

Thank Post
    Buy DPM 2010 its awesome! you know you dont have to pay £400 when sharepoint agent comes out

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Buy DPM 2010 its awesome! you know you dont have to pay £400 when sharepoint agent comes out
    OK, please tell me how you backup a Sun/Oracle S7000 series unified storage with DPM, in fact how do you backup any NAS device with it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    OK, please tell me how you backup a Sun/Oracle S7000 series unified storage with DPM, in fact how do you backup any NAS device with it?
    Indeed, as it seems that it has to have remote agents to work on anything from what I saw by the demo I had from @Ric_

Thank Post
    Thanks for replies thus far - DPM isn't an option for backing up (hence why I mentioned this in first post).

@john - Don't suppose you could let me know who you bought Arcserve from, or any rough pricing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Thanks for replies thus far - DPM isn't an option for backing up (hence why I mentioned this in first post).

@john - Don't suppose you could let me know who you bought Arcserve from, or any rough pricing?
    Insight, the lovely Ruth in Licensing got me details earlier in the year for it and its VERY attractively priced and flexible compared to Backup Exec and fine as a long standing BE liker I can also enjoy ArcServe, just need to change how I think a few things in my mind but works well enough. Hope to buy it soon, but still waiting to confirm the budgets and priorities as I may have some things to buy that I hadn't planned on due to a few things going pop recently.

I'll PM you the number to call for my account manager she will sort you out

Thank Post
    @john - thanks for the tip to John orginally about Arcserve from Insight, I got it the other day and am waiting to install it on my nice shiny new backup server!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread