+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you do your start menus. in Technical; Originally Posted by Galway I also redirect mine to a folder on C Drive, as well as the desktop icons ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    I also redirect mine to a folder on C Drive, as well as the desktop icons and wallpaper.

A startup script check for changes and copies then latest start menu or other changes from a network share.

I feel this is the best of both worlds in that the network is not hammered everytime the user clicks the start menu or logs on.
    We do ours like Galway does.

This is a bit of a tangent, we have our software listed by subject. With many subjects using the same software I've been toying with the idea of listing applications by type rather than subject but I think this may be too large a step.

Image3.jpg

Thank Post
    I think I came up with something similar to what you are talking about...

I have 2 (3 if you include the staff only version) parts to this.

• A folder in the All Users start menu called applications that is linked to the user's start menu at login if it doesn't already exist (first login) using linkd
    • A machine batch script that runs at boot to check 2 locations, one for creation and one for removal
    • (A folder in the All Users start menu call staff)

The batch script has 3 variables at the top that need to be set.
    cutpath is the location where the current shortcuts are
    oldcutpath is where you MOVE shortcuts to after they are no longer needed
    cutbase is where the script copies the shortcuts to on the local machine.
    Code:
    @echo off
    set cutpath=\\<server name>\NETLOGON\Shortcuts
    set oldcutpath=\\<server name>\NETLOGON\OldShortcuts
    set cutbase=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Applications

for /d /r %cutpath% %%i IN (*) do (call :makefolders "%%i")

FOR /R %cutpath% %%i IN (*.lnk) DO (call :copycuts "%%i")

FOR /R %oldcutpath% %%i IN (*.lnk) DO (call :removecuts "%%i")

FOR /R %oldcutpath% %%i IN (*.remove) DO (call :removefolders "%%i")

GOTO :eof

:makefolders
    	set name=%1
    	CALL SET name=%%name:*%cutpath%\=%%
    	set name=%name:~0,-1%
    	rem echo %name%
    	if not exist "%cutbase%\%name%" mkdir "%cutbase%\%name%"
    goto :eof

:copycuts
    	set name=%1
    	rem echo %name%
    	copy "%cutpath%\%name%" "%cutbase%\%name%" /y

:removecuts
    	set name=%1
    	CALL SET name=%%name:*%oldcutpath%\=%%
    	rem echo %name%
    	del "%cutbase%\%name%" /f /q

:removefolders
    	set name=%1
    	set name=%name:~0,-9%
    	rem echo %name%
    	rmdir /s /q "%cutbase%\%name%"
    Now I used the all user start menu so that when a user without lockdown/gpos logs in they still get shortcuts, but when a normal pupil or staff member logs in they don't get the all users start menu.

A symbolic link is used so that in windows 7 the start menu searching still works (rather than just having a shortcut that wouldn't allow windows to find programs under it)

To try and summarize the script it does 4 things
    1. It checks for all folder at the cutpath location (including subfolders) and creates them at the cutbase location
    2. It checks for all shortcuts at the cutpath location (including subfolders) and creates them in the same relative path at the cutbase location
    3. It checks for all shortcuts at the oldcutpath location and removes them from the same place at the cutbase location if they exist
    4. This last bit is a bit of a fudge, but it checks for the file ".remove" (ie no filename before the .) and if it finds at in a folder in the oldcutpath location it tries remove that folder, files and subfolders from the cutbase if it exists (obviously this should be used with care!).

What this as meant for us it that user login time is reduced, because all they do is create a symbolic link at login, and then only the first login. It does, however, increase the boot time marginally as all the shortcut management is done then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    I think I came up with something similar to what you are talking about...

I have 2 (3 if you include the staff only version) parts to this.

• A folder in the All Users start menu called applications that is linked to the user's start menu at login if it doesn't already exist (first login) using linkd
    • A machine batch script that runs at boot to check 2 locations, one for creation and one for removal
    • (A folder in the All Users start menu call staff)

The batch script has 3 variables at the top that need to be set.
    cutpath is the location where the current shortcuts are
    oldcutpath is where you MOVE shortcuts to after they are no longer needed
    cutbase is where the script copies the shortcuts to on the local machine.
    Code:
    @echo off
    set cutpath=\\<server name>\NETLOGON\Shortcuts
    set oldcutpath=\\<server name>\NETLOGON\OldShortcuts
    set cutbase=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Applications

for /d /r %cutpath% %%i IN (*) do (call :makefolders "%%i")

FOR /R %cutpath% %%i IN (*.lnk) DO (call :copycuts "%%i")

FOR /R %oldcutpath% %%i IN (*.lnk) DO (call :removecuts "%%i")

FOR /R %oldcutpath% %%i IN (*.remove) DO (call :removefolders "%%i")

GOTO :eof

:makefolders
    	set name=%1
    	rem echo %name%
    	if not exist "%cutbase%\%name%" mkdir "%cutbase%\%name%"

:copycuts
    	set name=%1
    	rem echo %name%
    	copy "%cutpath%\%name%" "%cutbase%\%name%" /y

:removecuts
    	set name=%1
    	rem echo %name%
    	del "%cutbase%\%name%" /f /q

:removefolders
    	set name=%1
    	set name=%name:~0,-9%
    	rem echo %name%
    	rmdir /s /q "%cutbase%\%name%"
    Now I used the all user start menu so that when a user without lockdown/gpos logs in they still get shortcuts, but when a normal pupil or staff member logs in they don't get the all users start menu.

A symbolic link is used so that in windows 7 the start menu searching still works (rather than just having a shortcut that wouldn't allow windows to find programs under it)

To try and summarize the script it does 4 things
    1. It checks for all folder at the cutpath location (including subfolders) and creates them at the cutbase location
    2. It checks for all shortcuts at the cutpath location (including subfolders) and creates them in the same relative path at the cutbase location
    3. It checks for all shortcuts at the oldcutpath location and removes them from the same place at the cutbase location if they exist
    4. This last bit is a bit of a fudge, but it checks for the file ".remove" (ie no filename before the .) and if it finds at in a folder in the oldcutpath location it tries remove that folder, files and subfolders from the cutbase if it exists (obviously this should be used with care!).

What this as meant for us it that user login time is reduced, because all they do is create a symbolic link at login, and then only the first login. It does, however, increase the boot time marginally as all the shortcut management is done then.
    Thanks very much. What if the application isnt installed does the link still get copied down please?

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 11th May 2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: got rid of the question mark oops :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Thanks very much? What if the application isnt installed does the link still get copied down please?

Thanks
    Sorry, but no, that wouldn't work in our environment as many of the shortcuts point to mapped network drives that the local machine wouldn't see, so testing validity would cause these to drop out too.

Thank Post
    Hi,

On RM CC3 network it works by redirecting the start menu on the user's profile folder under a folder called Start Menu\Programs etc. I think there is a RM component which at logon checks to see which shortcuts have dead links to and hides them by placing a Hidden attribute. It also checks the server at a particular location X:\Group Resources\Programs which contains all the Menus for various Program sets that the user has created with the RMMC. The group resources folder also contains a text file called daserver.ini which has the name of each of the program sets followed by an = sign and then a number e.g. Core Programs=22

Now everytime that program set is updated or redelivered by the administration using RMMC it increments this number so when the station (or user's logon) checks this it will copy down new shortcuts or remove them depending on what has changed.

Its is a good method that works well on cc3 network and it is possible i guess to do on a vanilla network. Because the start menu items are cached on the user's profile most of the items are available quicker to the user (except the changes) which takes a few seconds to show sometime. This also works well because for staff laptops the start menu and program sets are also available because of the local profile being cached on their laptop.

Another thing RM does is that the my docs is redirected (not through a GPO but their own component) which maps it to the user's home drive and i guess this explains why we didn't any issues with adobe reader offline etc that some people have had when the used UNCs. This is easily fixed on vanilla if the in the folder redirection GPO the %homedrive% variable is used.

Hope this helps.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but no, that wouldn't work in our environment as many of the shortcuts point to mapped network drives that the local machine wouldn't see, so testing validity would cause these to drop out too.
    Sorry i have missed the point. Would it copy dead short cuts for applications that are not installed?

Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    Hi,

On RM CC3 network it works by redirecting the start menu on the user's profile folder under a folder called Start Menu\Programs etc. I think there is a RM component which at logon checks to see which shortcuts have dead links to and hides them by placing a Hidden attribute. It also checks the server at a particular location X:\Group Resources\Programs which contains all the Menus for various Program sets that the user has created with the RMMC. The group resources folder also contains a text file called daserver.ini which has the name of each of the program sets followed by an = sign and then a number e.g. Core Programs=22

Now everytime that program set is updated or redelivered by the administration using RMMC it increments this number so when the station (or user's logon) checks this it will copy down new shortcuts or remove them depending on what has changed.

Its is a good method that works well on cc3 network and it is possible i guess to do on a vanilla network. Because the start menu items are cached on the user's profile most of the items are available quicker to the user (except the changes) which takes a few seconds to show sometime. This also works well because for staff laptops the start menu and program sets are also available because of the local profile being cached on their laptop.

Another thing RM does is that the my docs is redirected (not through a GPO but their own component) which maps it to the user's home drive and i guess this explains why we didn't any issues with adobe reader offline etc that some people have had when the used UNCs. This is easily fixed on vanilla if the in the folder redirection GPO the %homedrive% variable is used.

Hope this helps.

Ash.
    Sounds like what i want but its not an RM network.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I was just outlining how RM does it, i suppose there needs to be some script that runs at logon or something that check the start menu i.e if it has changed on the server and then udpate accordingly and hides the dead shortcuts by placing the the hidden attribute.

It should be possible to code this in VBscript or similar.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    Ours is in the mandatory profile, so I update it as and when new software is installed. This does lead to the occassional unsightly dead link, but I can live with it. Start menu is divided into subjects, with only accessories and Microsoft office having their own folders.
    Same here, although I try and ensure that all apps are installed to every machine or to the network where possible to reduce the dead links.

Thank Post
    Sorry i have missed the point. Would it copy dead short cuts for applications that are not installed?

Sounds like what i want but its not an RM network.
    Hi FN,

Yes it would copy dead shortcuts if there were any due to the previously mentioned network shortcuts. I could have 2 systems, one of network based programs and one for locally installed programs, but I haven't the need. I am wondering about a script at the end that could check through shortcuts and remove dead ones if they point to local locations that don't exist. I like the thought I might dedicate some time to it, but I have no idea if it is possible and I have my job appeal tomorrow, so it could be a while...

Thank Post
    Bah, what can I say, the idea intrigued me!

Anyway, this script will parse through the location defined in objStartFolder and look for any shortcuts pointing to locations beginning with sTargetStart and if they don't point to anything valid it deletes them. Afterwards it goes through and looks for empty folders and removes them too.

As it is set atm it looks in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Applications" (After first checking it exists) for any shortcuts (.lnk) that point to a target starting with "C:\" and removes it if the target doesn't exist.

I've hacked this together quite quickly, so don't expect anything pretty
    Code:
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objStartFolder = "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Applications"
    sTargetStart = "C:\"

If objFSO.FolderExists(objStartFolder) Then

' Check for invalid shortcuts pointing to locations starting with sTargetStart
    	Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)
    	Set colFiles = objFolder.Files
    	For Each objFile in colFiles
    		CheckValid objFile
    	Next

CheckSubFoldersShortcuts objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)

' Check for empty folders after clearing out invalid shortcuts
    	CheckSubFoldersEmptyAndRemove objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)

Else
    	'msgbox objStartFolder & " does not exist"

End If

Sub CheckSubFoldersEmptyAndRemove(Folder)
        For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders
            Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(Subfolder.Path)

If FolderEmpty(Subfolder.Path) Then
    			'msgbox "delete " & Subfolder.Path
    			objFSO.DeleteFolder Subfolder.Path
    		Else 
    			'msgbox Subfolder.Path & " is occupied"
    			CheckSubFoldersEmptyAndRemove Subfolder
    		End If
        Next
    End Sub

Sub CheckSubFoldersShortcuts(Folder)
    			CheckValid objFile
            Next
            CheckSubFoldersShortcuts Subfolder
        Next
    End Sub

Sub CheckValid(objCheckFile)
    	If LCase(objFSO.GetExtensionName(objCheckFile.name)) = "lnk" Then

Set oLnk = oShell.CreateShortcut(objCheckFile.path)
    		'msgbox objCheckFile.Path
    		'msgbox oLnk.TargetPath

If StrComp(LCase(Left(oLnk.TargetPath,Len(sTargetStart))),LCase(sTargetStart))  = 0 Then
    			If objFSO.FileExists(oLnk.TargetPath) Then
    				'msgbox objCheckFile.path & " is a valid shortcut"
    			Else
    				'msgbox objCheckFile.path & " is an invalid shortcut"
    				objFSO.DeleteFile objCheckFile.path
    			End If
    		Else
    			'msgbox "Not local shortcut"
    		End If
    	End If

End Sub

Function FolderEmpty(strFolderPathName)
    	Dim oFiles, oFile, oFolder, oSubFolders, oSubFolder
    	Dim blnFileFound : blnFileFound = False
    	Set oFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strFolderPathName)
    	Set oFiles = oFolder.Files
    	If oFiles.Count > 1 Then
    		FolderEmpty = False
    		Exit Function
    	ElseIf oFiles.Count = 1 Then
    		For Each oFile In oFiles 
    			If oFile.Name <> "desktop.ini" Then
    				FolderEmpty = False
    				Exit Function
    			End If
    		Next
    	End If
    	Set oSubFolders = oFolder.SubFolders
    	For Each oSubFolder In oSubFolders
    		If Not FolderEmpty(oSubFolder.Path) Then
    			FolderEmpty = False
    			Exit Function
    		End If
    	Next
    	FolderEmpty = True
    End Function
    I know my original script was batch, but I didn't think I could do this with batch, so vbs will have to do

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bah, what can I say, the idea intrigued me!

Anyway, this script will parse through the location defined in objStartFolder and look for any shortcuts pointing to locations beginning with sTargetStart and if they don't point to anything valid it deletes them. Afterwards it goes through and looks for empty folders and removes them too.

As it is set atm it looks in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Applications" (After first checking it exists) for any shortcuts (.lnk) that point to a target starting with "C:\" and removes it if the target doesn't exist.

I've hacked this together quite quickly, so don't expect anything pretty
    Code:
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objStartFolder = "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Applications"
    sTargetStart = "C:\"

If objFSO.FolderExists(objStartFolder) Then

' Check for invalid shortcuts pointing to locations starting with sTargetStart
    	Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)
    		CheckValid objFile
    	Next

CheckSubFoldersShortcuts objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)

' Check for empty folders after clearing out invalid shortcuts
    	CheckSubFoldersEmptyAndRemove objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)

Else
    	'msgbox objStartFolder & " does not exist"

End If

Sub CheckSubFoldersEmptyAndRemove(Folder)

If FolderEmpty(Subfolder.Path) Then
    			'msgbox "delete " & Subfolder.Path
    			objFSO.DeleteFolder Subfolder.Path
    		Else 
    			'msgbox Subfolder.Path & " is occupied"
    			CheckSubFoldersEmptyAndRemove Subfolder
    		End If
        Next
    End Sub

Sub CheckSubFoldersShortcuts(Folder)
    			CheckValid objFile
            Next
            CheckSubFoldersShortcuts Subfolder
        Next
    End Sub

Sub CheckValid(objCheckFile)
    	If LCase(objFSO.GetExtensionName(objCheckFile.name)) = "lnk" Then

Set oLnk = oShell.CreateShortcut(objCheckFile.path)
    		'msgbox objCheckFile.Path
    		'msgbox oLnk.TargetPath

If StrComp(LCase(Left(oLnk.TargetPath,Len(sTargetStart))),LCase(sTargetStart))  = 0 Then
    			If objFSO.FileExists(oLnk.TargetPath) Then
    				'msgbox objCheckFile.path & " is a valid shortcut"
    			Else
    				'msgbox objCheckFile.path & " is an invalid shortcut"
    				objFSO.DeleteFile objCheckFile.path
    			End If
    		Else
    			'msgbox "Not local shortcut"
    		End If
    	End If

End Sub

Function FolderEmpty(strFolderPathName)
    	Dim oFiles, oFile, oFolder, oSubFolders, oSubFolder
    	Dim blnFileFound : blnFileFound = False
    	Set oFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strFolderPathName)
    	Set oFiles = oFolder.Files
    	If oFiles.Count > 1 Then
    		FolderEmpty = False
    		Exit Function
    	ElseIf oFiles.Count = 1 Then
    		For Each oFile In oFiles 
    			If oFile.Name <> "desktop.ini" Then
    				FolderEmpty = False
    				Exit Function
    			End If
    		Next
    	End If
    	Set oSubFolders = oFolder.SubFolders
    	For Each oSubFolder In oSubFolders
    		If Not FolderEmpty(oSubFolder.Path) Then
    			FolderEmpty = False
    			Exit Function
    		End If
    	Next
    	FolderEmpty = True
    End Function
    I know my original script was batch, but I didn't think I could do this with batch, so vbs will have to do
    Thanks, does this work with the Batch File or instead of please?

Thank Post
    Thanks, does this work with the Batch File or instead of please?
    It would work best when run after the batch file.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It would work best when run after the batch file.
    Cheers, do you use the VBS script?

Quick question. If a user installs some software and they have a redirected start menu. Would the shortcuts be placed into the redirected folder or would they show in the All users startmenu?

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 16th May 2011 at 03:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Cheers, do you use the VBS script?
    No, I have no dead shortcuts

Quick question. If a user installs some software and they have a redirected start menu. Would the shortcuts be placed into the redirected folder or would they show in the All users startmenu?

Thanks
    Most likely the all users startmenu... but why would you allow users to install software?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    but why would you allow users to install software?
    My thoughts exactly.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast