+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, deploying software in Technical; does anybody use symantec ghost 7.5 AI builder to deploy software? I use GPO's when i can but i am ...
    Thank Post

deploying software

does anybody use symantec ghost 7.5 AI builder to deploy software?
    I use GPO's when i can but i am trying to see if it is worth me spending time testing ghost AI or to look for other options.
    What pieces of software do you use to deploy software?
    We have prism that is currently used but is always good to hear what is being used in techieland

(half term ain't it great!)

Thank Post

Re: deploying software

We have some schools with ghost suite, dont think any of them use the AI, i personally havent used it, so im interesting in the replies to this thread!

Loving half-term, schools are sooooo quiet!!

Thank Post

I have used AI in the past and it did the job... it just seemed like a very basic snapshot system to me at the time - it may have improved since then mind.

If you do start using AI exclusively you should consider that you will have to re-make all your packages should you move away from Ghost in the future. I suspect that you are less likely to move away from Windows than Ghost so MSIs are probably the way to go.

Thank Post

I currently use AI Packages to deploy software it does the job and is reliable depending on the size of the file and the amount of pc's you deploy software to, no problems for me since i've been using it.

Messa

Thank Post

sorry to go off the topic

i have managed (well finally found the time) to use ghost console to clone client pc's
    I have noticed that when ghost installs the remote client it records the cleint's mac address and the pcname. I have deployed clone tasks to workstations. My question is is there a way of telling ghost to use the pcname of the cleint when it runs through the mini setup after dropping the image to the client. At the moment the client gets to the give the pc a name window. We have to manually type in the pcname
    The server is a 2000 server and all cleints are xp pro.
    thanks

Thank Post

we use a combination of wpkg and Active directory GPOs. I wouldn't recomend trying to deploy large apps with either of them though. (I'd consider MS Office and large app)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mtupker
    we use a combination of wpkg and Active directory GPOs. I wouldn't recomend trying to deploy large apps with either of them though. (I'd consider MS Office and large app)
    I've deployed MS Office using GPO many times with no problems whatsoever. Have you experienced problems with this? Did you do the admin install and use the ORK to create a custom MST?

Thank Post

Hi,

Which is th best software around to create msi packages for software to be deployed vi Group Policy?

Thanks

Robert

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    I've deployed MS Office using GPO many times with no problems whatsoever. Have you experienced problems with this? Did you do the admin install and use the ORK to create a custom MST?
    our users get really upset if login take more than usual. That why we don't deploy office through GPO. WPKG is a different story though. It installs softrware at computer startup but the user can login during the install. I just started using it so it may actually work for Office deployment. I've also heard rumors that Office 2007 doesn't deploy well through GPO.

Thank Post

I'm looking at Net-Runna at the moment, not sure how it deploys software yet, but it says that it does

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    our users get really upset if login take more than usual. That why we don't deploy office through GPO. WPKG is a different story though. It installs softrware at computer startup but the user can login during the install. I just started using it so it may actually work for Office deployment. I've also heard rumors that Office 2007 doesn't deploy well through GPO.
    If you assign the software to computers rather than users then it is installed at startup, not logon.

Thank Post

Yeah, we have no problems with rollout via GPO, even large apps, Office and various Matchware stuff goes out ok. Make the changes at night if you are not sure and force a reboot to give yourself maximum time, otherwise first startup in the morning kills the network dead almost.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bagatelle
    Yeah, we have no problems with rollout via GPO, even large apps, Office and various Matchware stuff goes out ok. Make the changes at night if you are not sure and force a reboot to give yourself maximum time, otherwise first startup in the morning kills the network dead almost.
    Yeah, that's a very good point. It's best to do phased roll-outs where possible. This can be accomplished by using the GPO scope filtering;

Preparation;
    1 - Create an AD group to use for the deployment (eg AppName_PCs)
    2 - Create the GPO and remove the 'Authenticated Users' entry from the scope.
    2 - Add the AD group to the scope and give it Read and Apply Policy rights

Phased installation;
    - Add a batch of computer accounts to the AD group and allow enough time for the PCs to pick up the software (eg 1 day / 1 week depending on how often the PCs get rebooted)

At this point the scope of the GPO could be reset back to 'Authenticated Users' and the AD group removed and deleted, OR it could be retained if necessary.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    I'm looking at Net-Runna at the moment, not sure how it deploys software yet, but it says that it does
    run away. run away fast!. have a look at their forums for the kinds of schanigans to expect.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Stewart,

net-runna can deploy software in two ways - preboot or post-boot:
    • Preboot we deploy by copying the differences of files and registry settings that make up an installation. These are sent via multicast (for efficiency) and stored in the local cache partition, so subsequent deployments are much faster.
    • Post-boot (or Live Software Deployment) allows you to copy and run MSIs or .EXEs to clients that you have Windows permissions to access.

Pop over to our forum if you want to know more (despite what strawberry might suggest )

Martin

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast