+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Help Desk in Technical; I'm convinced that we need (as a school that is) some kind of tool for implementing a support request logging ...

Thank Post

Help Desk

I'm convinced that we need (as a school that is) some kind of tool for implementing a support request logging system. We now have 400+ machines over two sites and most of the time two technicians to cover those sites. I really hate what FITS calls the "corridor" method of support, and I don't like scraps of paper being scribbled on and passed around...and don't even get me started on "word of mouth" support calls!

Looking at this in the past week I used our CSE tools to implement an "intermediate" call logging system that is basically a technical support forum whereby staff can log support requests and we (the IT department) can respond with either an attempted solution in the form of a walkthrough or a prioritised system of resolution. It looks like some of the staff really like the idea. All I have to do now is write up a small manual for use and get manglement (thanks Tony!) behind it all.

What do you use for your support system (if you have one), and do any of you have any ideas as to how I can improve this system (I'm already thinking in terms of web-based front end that staff log into so that they can post off a support form)?

Thanks!

Paul

Thank Post

Re: Help Desk

Hi Paul,
    we're currently using Liberum Help Desk. after a bit of a struggle I managed to set it up and it now works quite well. The only arguement I have with the operation of it is, will the teachers want to fill in an online form when they can just pick up a phone and contact us? We're trialling it this way to begin with, but then giving it a go where the staff call us and we fill in the brief details of the problem, and at a later time put in what was done to solve the problem.
    The reason for this being that the Liberum helpdesk comes with a searchable knowledge base, and if us techies are filling in the form we'll know how to describe the problem in a way that'll mean any future techies can easily bring up problems and, hopefully, solutions.
    Hope this helps,
    cheers,
    beeswax

Thank Post

Is Liberum helpdesk able to seperate out incidents and problems, and show the relationship between them properly?

Can it show the workaround to a helpdesk technician for a known problem, when they create a incident ticket and they / the system links it to a problem?

Thank Post

each incident is given a unique number. you can create (almost limitless) categories for incidents, so this needs careful planning. within each problem page is a report section where you can write down how the problem was resolved. the database can be searched, or you bring bring up all problems, or all problems in a particular category. or all problems reported by a particular person regarding a piece of equipment (if you set out your categories correctly). the way we are planning it is to have the subject line of the problem contain the (for example) teacher's name, piece of equipment, type of problem and room. we're hoping that over time we'll be able to identify trends in faults in the system, or if a particular teacher (for example) is constantly encountering problems with (for example) their laptop.
    I hope I've covered most points for you Roberto, but as it's late on a sunday evening, I may be a little tired. I'm also hoping to adapt it (by way of a second database) to audit all equipment, and who has what. which is nice.
    cheers,
    beeswax

Thank Post

Thanks for the reply beeswax.
    I'm looking for new, ITIL compliant helpdesk software, which means it has to seperate out incident management and problem management, sounds like Libreum doesn't do this, so the search continues.

Thank Post

well, you could always try googling it or looking on sourceforge.
    beeswax

Thank Post

i have just installed a sharepoint server and use the helpdesk template from microsoft. this seems to working fine. you can edit the template. the teachers are having a problem with "no verbal request, fill the online form out" but we find it much better

stephen

Thank Post

Liberum looks very interesting- as does the Sharepoint option. I have been thinking for a long time about SP as an intranet/collaboration solution for the school and I will look into both options. Thanks for that guys!

Paul :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto
    Thanks for the reply beeswax.
    I'm looking for new, ITIL compliant helpdesk software, which means it has to seperate out incident management and problem management, sounds like Libreum doesn't do this, so the search continues.
    I am assuming my college would need something like this too.
    I may either modify Liberium or write my own helpdesk softare, to this spec within the next few weeks depending on time as always.

Ill let you know if i do manage to do it
    .matt

Thank Post

Another vote for Liberium here, we have been using here at our school (110 staff, 400+ machines, 4 techies etc etc) since the begining of the new term, 300 and odd jobs into its infancy and everyone thinks it's a great peice of software, the staff love the idea of being able to see their submitted job's progress, they say there is more interaction with our technical staff and they don't have to go looking for a technician or send kids out of class on a man hunt.

just my 2p worth

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Squashy
    .....the staff love the idea of being able to see their submitted job's progress, they say there is more interaction with our technical staff and they don't have to go looking for a technician or send kids out of class on a man hunt.

just my 2p worth :D
    I always imagined the staff would have a problem with filling in the problem page etc., not because I think they are ignorant (for example), but just not having the time during lessons.

beeswax

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rokeby
    i have just installed a sharepoint server and use the helpdesk template from microsoft. this seems to working fine. you can edit the template. the teachers are having a problem with "no verbal request, fill the online form out" but we find it much better

stephen
    is the helpdesk template part of sharepoint server? if it isn't, where can I find it?

beeswax

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

@Beeswax

Don't have the link to hand, but there are several templates available for download from Microsoft. I think they're in the Sharepoint section of microsoft.com.

Thank Post

thanks chaps (this term in no way implies gender exclusion and is intended to be used as a verbal, all-encompassing shorthand relating equally to both sexes, for example)
    beeswax

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast