+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Cutting Printing Costs in Technical; Originally Posted by Ric_ I currently use Print Manager Pluse (v6) but am not 100% happy with it and don't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Cutting Printing Costs

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    I currently use Print Manager Pluse (v6) but am not 100% happy with it and don't want to keep paying the maintenance fee to keep getting upgrades.
    What are you not happy about Ric_, we are currenlty looking at this to purchase and any feedback would be good.

Thank Post

@ZeroHour: Don't get me wrong... it is a great piece of software and I would definitely recommend it over others I have tried if you don't have the time/inclination to go with PyKota.

Some of its downsides are the price (although it isn't that expensive), lack of ability to do extra stuff (e.g. processing job output and saving PDFs of prints) and some quirks with the client that notifies users. The service occasionally falls over too (but not regularly enough to be a problem).

Thank Post

I've just installed a new printer, 10 days later 2000 sheets have been printed! 360 pupil primary, 25 ish staff, I don't think much of it was generated by the pupils the staff have gone printing crazy.

Thank Post

@chrbb: I would tell the head about that immediately... somebody is taking the p*ss! It MUST be nipped in the bud!

Thank Post

Matbe their all printing you off an Easter card ?

Thank Post

Lol doubt it, apparently they're printing off resources because we aren't buying enough to go round. Strange logic.

Thank Post

In other words are they avoiding the photocopier so it doesnt come out of budgets etc?

Thank Post

@ZeroHour - We hav been running Print Manager Plus now for nearly 2 years the maintenence is about £120 odd a year, not much really. Ours has never fallen over once and we could not live without it now.

Just for balance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

I find print manager plus to be a bit flaky. For example, making a change to the file extensions restriction yesterday somehow enabled 'filter black and white' printing somewhere for all the pupils. It wasn't ticked anywhere though... It took several resets of the service and changing default groups of the kids to fix it.

Sometimes I have found that it simply stops charging people and lets them print anything they want. I spot this quickly though when I see more stuff coming out of the printer.

I am going to be investigating a cups + pykota system myself, as I want to add the username to the top of each page so I can track them down easier.

Also, even though PMP seems flaky, I will say that it has saved us a lot of wastage. According to its reports it saves us about £540 a quarter - based on real per page costs.

Thank Post

@Disease: I didn't say that it was carp... I have been using it for 2 years. I just want a better solution with the benefit that I can save the £100-odd maintenance fee (which can be reallocated to the NM's PC budget - an extra £120 makes my computer go faster! )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

Printer costs whole school 30 laserjets - 10 colour, 20 mono, 750 pupils, 70 staff members = £3500 per year.

Now also looking at whole school reprographics at 5p pp including toner and maintenance this would make it possible to cut down on printing off the laser jets and we would be able to give each dept its own code therefore charging them per page usage.

We could also enforce smaller print jobs to promote the using of the reprographics on the network.

Bounced Users
    Thank Post

Hello all,

one of my google alerts sent this link to me and i thought i would say hello.

One of the many jobs i have to do is to test printer/copy monitoring software.

I saw the discussion about papercut and i would say it is one of the top products i have used over the years and it now has the option to monitor copies.

The interesting thing about charging for print/copy jobs is i have not seen 1 bit of software that will fit in at every site and working out what is best for the site is the fun part.

oh and then the hardware comes into play monitoring copies is even more fun

as for charging for copies, i know alot of sites that do not do it simply because they never thought of it. These days students dont mind paying for copies and for generating some money its a very nice earner, some sites happily make a nice profit from charging.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

Firstly welcome SOSAGES,
    We are looking at papercut also here so any issues you have would be good.

Bounced Users
    Thank Post

it would depend on what u want it to do.... The papercut lads seem to work hard and its a nice product, also they are very open to suggestions on how to make the software better i have had a few chats with them in the past and they were very helpful.

But with so many software products to choose from its a headache. I wouldnt pick one product over them all it would all depend on your setup and what you want to achive, do you want to charge for copies? what OS are you running? if you want hardware what if any cards do you have (mifare/barcode/etc) ? and a million other questions

Thank Post

Hi all,

i am considering going for a cost per copy solution. I have been working with a company who will supply us with Gell printers which give an excellent quality print. The charges after you have purchased the printer are in the region of 0.05p per black print and 4p per colour print.

Phil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast