+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Job title/role/descritption opinions advice? in Technical; Just wanted to have peoples opinions on this. We have at school 2 IT Support staff. One as the title ...
    Thank Post

Job title/role/descritption opinions advice?

Just wanted to have peoples opinions on this. We have at school 2 IT Support staff. One as the title of Systems Manager and the other Network Manager. The System Manager title was given dus thr guys main role incharge is the MIS set up which is currenty SIms.net and because he has been years. The Network Manager got his title because of his administration of moving everything from NT4 anf 98 to Server 2003 and XP and keeping the current 700+client network running smoothly.

Now...............we will be shortly appointing a much needed Senior ICT Technician. We have been told that when this happens and there is a team of 3 one of us will be put in overall charge. I think there will be a interview proccess for the 2 guys already mentioned above.

What are your opinions of this, what should the job title be of the person who will be in overall charge?

Thank Post

Re: Job title/role/descritption opinions advice?

Hold on, you've got 2 people at the moment who are both "managers" and you're appointing a 3rd one who will be a "Senior ICT technician"?

Who or what will they be senior to?

I'd have said that either of the current managerial job titles would be fine for a "head of the IT support department" role, but if you're planning to have 3 people where the lowest ranked guy is still a "Senior ICT technician" then perhaps the whole department should be reviewed and restructured.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted / expected to hear, but if I was interviewing for that post based on the job title, then heard i'd be the lowest ranked guy out of a team of 3, with two "managers" above me, I'd assume you were all insane and walk out of the interview as soon as I could politely do so.

Thank Post

@Roberto
    I do agree with some of what you said, but these descision are made by SLT who tend not to know the correct structure of IT Support jobs, hence my question.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well this is how i would do it...

the person who has overall control become system administrator put in charge of overall + control of what ever network he was in charge of before.

the second person then become network manager of the network they are involved in.

next new person is employed as technician then there line manager is net man and net mans line manager is system admin.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

With the added compexity and greater needs of systems managment schools are bandying around fancy job titles to go with the rise in pay - which of course is totally right.

Hence the strange situation of managers with no underlings. I don't think Network Manager would cover the current MIS support guy here - as that isn't his area of expertise - of course it depends who the SLT want to get the job! - but I would say the top job title should be ICT Manager. That post could then be independant of teaching management - which is only right and proper in light of the Workload Agreement. [somebody pass me a spoon! ].

Thank Post

I'd suggest that the best qualified and experienced person be the "IT Systems Manager" or whatever, with a "Senior Technician" and a "Technician".

Now this would put a few noses out of joint, one person will feel like they've been demoted, and you have to consider what level of person you're hoping to attract for the *new* senior technician role. None the less, I would say that this issue has to be corrected sooner or later.

As for the SMT, perhaps there is something on the BECTA website on building a ICT support team that might help them learn how to structure the department? Or maybe an independant consultancy from a human resources type company or a larger school or college who they might trust to talk to them on best practices here?

Thank Post

We have a Systems Manager (been that for about 10-15 years, so much deserved) and myself (Network Manager); we then have an ICT Technician under me. The technician's first LM is myself, and then the system as it stands means that he is passed on up the line to the SM. I have to say though that the current way of doing things leads to amazing clashes of philosophy and management style that we could do without.

It would have been better to have a Systems Manager, Senior Technician and then ICT Technician in my mind if it weren't for the lines of demarcation being drawn now: the Systems Manager deals mainly with SIMS and I handle the 400+ curriculum network.

In your example, I think the system could work so long as the technician is just that- a technician. Either that or move your own position (without pay drop) to Senior Technician and then hire an ICT Technician to work under you...

Good luck!

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread