+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, IIS for dummies in Technical; Hi folks - I could really do with a hand getting started with IIS. Never had any experience with this ...
    Thank Post

IIS for dummies

Hi folks - I could really do with a hand getting started with IIS.

Never had any experience with this or anything but the simplest of websites, and I'm determined to get an intranet set up here.

My questions would be how do you get started building websites and the like using IIS on server 2003? Are there any SUPER awesome resources out there? Is there anything along the lines of an 'intranet from scratch by numbers' going I might take a look at?

I'd very much like to get cracking, but I'm loth to tinker with anything that's already in place on my servers currently unless I b0rk something if you see.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you must you IIS i would go for Server 2008 or 2008 R2.

IIS 7 is much easier to use.

What do you want to do?

Thank Post
    That was quick FN!

Primarily, learn something new. Close second is to get us an intranet set up here as we don't have one currently. I'm absolutely overwhelmed with work during the day but I'm keen to get to grips with something that rears its head occasionally but which I've very little knowledge of directly only as an accessory to, say, WSUS.

Thought the intranet project was an ideal way to start but I'm not really picking up a whole lot from the YouTube videos I've seen and bitsand pieces I've read, and tinkering with something I'm not fully sure I'm confident with is putting me off at the moment.

Any ideas on where to look and what to read up on?

And it's going to sound VERY SILLY but I'd like to get to grips with IIS 6 first off.
    Last edited by El_Nombre; 22nd March 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi again - don't mean to be a pest, just bumping incase a benevolent passing IIS wizard is watching.

I'd like to get to grips with things myself and not keep posting things which might be obvious but are just getting me stuck on occasion, but as far as issues go I've only got one now right at the beginning.

Trying to set up an intranet site on my IIS server which is also my WSUS server. All the tutorials out there I've read say to instantly disable the default website in IIS but if I do that I can't view the WSUS console in the MMC. I've changed the port for the default site also for the sake of using WSUS on a different port rather than 80.

Long and the short is want to set up an intranet, but not really any idea what I'm doing from now on with the default website still going, no real understanding of IIS.

What do Edugeek?

Thank Post
    The basic run-through from MS is here Microsoft Corporation and the specific bit on setting up multiple sites on one server is here Hosting Multiple Web Sites on a Single Server (IIS 6.0)

6. Thanks to Netman from:

El_Nombre (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    THANKS BRO! Dammit I've just been called away or I'd be spending the afternoon tinkering.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread