+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Proxy sites now using 443 in Technical; But that is not how their contracts work. The staff are paid to do a job - that job isn't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Proxy sites now using 443

But that is not how their contracts work. The staff are paid to do a job - that job isn't listed as being an 8:30 - 4:00 job and entails working at home, marking and the like. This is accepted as the way the job is and is the exact reason teachers get huge holidays, unlike support staff who don't *have* to do work at home (but often do) and don't get the holidays.

Arguing that they should be able to misuse the school equipment still wouldn't fly with me.

Thank Post

But at the end of the day, not my decision and I'm really not fussed.

If people get their work done and don't cause problems I don't see why I should mind if they spend 5 minutes the day after they get paid checking during school time that there's money in the bank or whatever.

Thank Post

If you employ some sort of filtering solutions you can (in theory) setup "Working Hours".

I have that at my place where during working hours things like webmail and banking cannot be accessed but before and after school and during lunch staff can access them.

Stuff like ebay and the likes are banned anyhow as part of the AUP (which I belive if you gonna set it up right then the NM should do it).

Thank Post

Teachers are unlikely to use the proxy - so maybe just block https (except whitelisted sites) for pupils?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    The argument that was put to the Headmaster at this school was that if the Teachers were expected not to be able to do the odd personal thing online during their free periods or whatever, then they weren't going to do any work at home in their personal time either.
    I'd love too see that attitude in effect, come end of term, end of year, exam time etc, doing nothing at home will only thwart them, as they're going to have to stay behind at school and get everything done, as per contract, all marking, exam preparation, grades, reports HAVE to be done.

It's perfect, adopt that attitude and a mountain of garbage comes your way, win win to be honest!

Thank Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread: but this is an old trick we used to use at College, Open up a SSH connection to your home machine using port 443, because most firewalls allow it for HTTPS and you can use the tunnel for the internet, that is why there seems to be 'no pattern'

of course, once the other students work out that you can do it, you end up being the local jailed shell host

*edit, also SSH won't be so easily sniffed at,*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Performing a man in the middle attack on SSH sessions on the school proxy and injecting 'rm -rf /' and 'deltree C:\*.* /Y' commands is fun.

Thank Post
    Guardian can block such things - we check to see that any host connected to on 443 presents a valid cert - blocking most "tunneling" activity. It also blocks a lot of https web proxies, by checking for self-signed certs, you can whitelist out any you need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    'rm -rf /'
    Jailed Shell accounts for reasons like this, also SSH2 is quite hard to sniff, have a go, you'll be pleasently surprised.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleus View Post
    Jailed Shell accounts for reasons like this, also SSH2 is quite hard to sniff, have a go, you'll be pleasently surprised.
    which is why I throw in a 'rm -rf ~' for good measure. Anyway, I'm not sniffing, I'm intercepting.

Thank Post
    Am I missing something?

I would gather evidence, present to the head, have the child’s internet access removed due to violation of the AUP and if possible get the parents to sign a responsible use agreement.

Guaranteed the kid will shite their pants at the idea of no internet and/or parents having to sign a contract.

Thank Post
    Watch out for https://2hide.net, we had a student being bullied for the URL because websense would allow it through...

As an ICT tech I feel at the sharp end...
    • We use websense filtering and for the most part it's OK, keywords of proxy/proxies are blocked with netsupport school on every computer that the students can access. Thus we can control, if teachers would actually bother of course!
    • We get our "students" to sign an AUP (internet access letter), which has to be countersigned by the parents. It's deliberately phrased as a legal contract between the school and the family. Do the students take any notice of it...do they hell!
    • Their homepage has the AUP plastered on it not one will read it, I guarantee you, they bring up the homepage (our intranet site) and skip straight to google.

Our new intake are waiting for their internet access to be released. We've also supplied e-mail accounts to all students this year as it has apparently become part of their ICT curriculum...has meant a new mail server with exchange 2007 and we are still ironing out the creases. This of course means that their e-mail is accessed through https as they use the OWA site rather than outlook, as is the access to the school's VLE through https. Any student who abuses that e-mail privilege loses the ability to use it, and we have had them on the first day abusing it!

The main problem is, in my opinion, it comes down to enforcement, the staff do not want to "rock the boat" or "...endanger the student's enterprise". The fact that that enterprise consists of hacking, proxy avoidance, games playing, malicious use of the e-mail system and essentially doing as little as they believe they can get away with doesn't mean a damn thing! If you listen to some of the arguments that take place because a student who wants to send e-mail has had the OWA site blocked by netsupport by the teacher, the language could turn the air blue! One student today point blank refused to do ANY work at all because his internet access was being controlled by the teacher through netsupport.
    Believe me...I thank the powers that be every day that I'm not nor ever want to be a teacher!!!
    The students course realise that nothing will be done if they break the ICT rules and thus know that the AUP is worthless! Even when we do try to enforce it we end up with a earful from all directions.

It was different 2 years ago as we could remove internet/network access from anyone caught breaking the AUP, now we are told we can't! One 6th former last year lost all network access due to showing other students how to use a particular proxy site, this year it feels like we'd be clapping him on the back for his initiative!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks_ghost View Post
    Watch out for https://2hide.net, we had a student being bullied for the URL because websense would allow it through...
    Ouch... you do wonder sometimes...

Thank Post
    Lol, Thats why i have my proxy setup to use https:// all the teachers keep on reporting in and they cant do anything, also password protected but the whole school knows the password. XD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Antp View Post
    Lol, Thats why i have my proxy setup to use https:// all the teachers keep on reporting in and they cant do anything, also password protected but the whole school knows the password. XD
    I'd love to work at your school, I'd take great pride in banning you from the internet and writing to your parents explaining how you are circumventing filters put in place to protect you.

That being said, there's nothing big and clever about using a product someone else wrote and trying to say you're something special when really all you are is a user.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast