+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Laptop storage and updating in Technical; Just wondering how people store and more importantly update their laptops? Appologies if this has been covered, I have looked ...
    Thank Post

Laptop storage and updating

Just wondering how people store and more importantly update their laptops?

Appologies if this has been covered, I have looked but not really found the answer I want.

We have a bank of 15 for our science dept, which are not always used daily sometimes it can be a week or so between usage. And obviously they build up a number of updates which all install when they are switched on, bringing to me teachers and pupils moaning about how slow they are.

We can't afford any form of laptop trolley so that is out of the question.
    They are currently stored in the ol' school trays in a cupboard. Plugging them in to charge is not a problem and I can connect them to the network whilst they are in storage, but can't WOL and update tham when they are closed

But has anyone ever built their own? That will allow them to update the laptop whilest the lid is closed?

Any suggestions would be welcome!!!

2. Thanks to Griffo from:

psydii (1st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
    can't WOL and update tham when they are closed
    Why not? Is there a BIOS setting that will allow them to be woken-on-LAN when closed? If not, how does the laptop register that the lid is down - by a press-in switch that gets pushed down by the lid as it closes? Would removing that switch stop the laptop thinking it was closed, letting you do what you liked with teh lid down?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was just about to ask this very questions as the OP. Very interested to hear how others keep their student laptops up to date, and push software to them. In our case the laptops will be distributed around the site in trolley's rather that conveniently collected together in a cupboard.

For us physically hacking the lid switch isn't an option. I don't need the manufacturer to have a get out of jail for free card on our hard earned warranty package.

Thank Post
    We recently put 8 data points and 16 electric points in our office, with some shelving, and bring the laptops to our office when they need any work.

Thank Post
    There doesn't seem to be any obvious BIOS settings but 13 of the 15 do have an accessable lid switch, which could be an option - but the other 2 are hidden inside. I seem to remember reading that some of the professional cabs allow them to be updated whilst closed, but can't remember if it mentoned that there were only certain laptops that allow it or some software was involved?

I like the option of shelfs and data points but that sort of space is limited in that part of the school for us.

Any other ideas would be good

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread