+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, setup school intranet in Technical; Hi everyone hoping someone can shed some light on the issue i am having here. I have install WAMP onto ...
    Thank Post

setup school intranet

Hi everyone

hoping someone can shed some light on the issue i am having here. I have install WAMP onto one of the servers and set the permission in the httpd.conf file to allow connections from the server and clients within an IP range, i have also added the port inbound rule to allow port 80 and everything is now working for me if i log onto any computer and open IE and type into address bar http://servername it works.

The issue is when a staff or student logs on and trys the same they get the website cant be found error. is there something that i am missing to allow everyone else access to see this?

I was also hoping to change it so that users dont need to type in http://servername would it be possible to change it so that when they first click on IE it opens the webpage to http://intranet (or is this just a simple rename of index to intranet and redirect IE to open \\servername\www\intranet?

thank you for any help in advance

Thank Post
    Do you use a proxy server? Do the Staff and student users need to have the server name added to the "Do not use proxy Server for" list?
    I've never used WAMP - if it's not a proxy issue - might it be a file permission issue on the server (that you have permission to access, but regular users don't)?
    Finally, I think what you're after is adding a CNAME (also known as an Alias) DNS record to map "intranet" to "servername", and then modifying the Group policy to make the home page "http://intranet" for your users.

3. Thanks to ShorehamGeek from:

Aaron (23rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thank you i am trying to figure out which policy i have on that is stopping staff and pupils from starting the index page i can understand that with my account i am administrator I have tried setting share permissions on the folder so that everyone can at least read but for some reason this didnt help. Users still get a message about the IP cannot be found.

Would this have anything to do with locking out staff and students from running ping from cmd at all?

Thank Post
    No - shouldn't matter about disabling ping. Have you tried just typing the IP address of the server into the browser for a staff or student login?

Thank Post
    yes but for some reason it gives up the same error message

Thank Post
    Sounds like proxy, you probably won't have one set as administrator - use group policy modelling to check what settings a specifuc user/machine get, it'll show you where they're coming from as well.

Thank Post
    Or the admin has "bypass proxy for local addresses" ticked whereas everyone else doesn't.

Thank Post
    In group policy settings for your students.... check out User config>Windows settings>IEMaintanance>connection settings
    Click the dont use proxy for local addesses, and add the server (byIP) to the exception list and see if this helps.

10. Thanks to Galway from:

Aaron (21st July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread