+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Storage policy - warning letters in Technical; I've just been running through our storage on the main file server as it's getting a little full. We have ...

Thank Post

Storage policy - warning letters

I've just been running through our storage on the main file server as it's getting a little full. We have never had quota's but will be bringing them in later this year.

Running WinDirstat it's picked up some users with their personal itunes collection, holiday photos, copied movies etc etc. I know i could just start deleting these but want to send a letter and email to all users to point out what they are doing and the files will be deleted.

Anyone else done a letter along this line before? And yes most of the users are staff

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't have a sample letter but there are a few points to think about.

The chances are that the movies are illegal - you should warn them about this (who knows, they may have some agreement with Warner Bros which allows them to have a digital copy of a movie) but they should go sharpish.

The pictures and iTunes stuff could well be legal but you don't want them on your system because they take up too much space. It would be reasonable to give them time (say 1 week) to get the files off the file servers - you should offer advice about where they should go (it might be that they should just go off-site to the user's home PC but it would be sensible to give advice on how to do that)

The problem with iTunes is that it will default to putting its stuff in the "music" folder so for someone who legally buys stuff online and downloads it, that's where it goes. They will almost certainly need help to get it to somewhere better.

Thank Post
    something along the lines of

in order to improve the ict services we provide we need to apply storage limits to user accounts. Due to the ever increasing amount of digital data people store it is no longer possible for everyone to just store non school items in their users areas. So in the near future we will be going through the servers and removing to a safe location for later deletion any files we find that we believe should not be there so for example itunes libraries (the school does not have the appropriate licences to play this music as itunes is for home users NOT schools) backup copies of dvd's (we appreciate the fact that is convenient to have these stored electronically but they take up a disproportionate amount of space on teh server and often multiple people have the same films using even more space (it may be possible to set up a shared space to store school films at some future point).

might also be worth adding in due to budget cuts yada yada yada

Thank Post
    I assume you started out by giving users large quotas big enough to store lots of MP3s, rather than setting it at a fair usage and increasing it as necessary?

Thank Post
    Further to this - you can set FSRM up if the file server is on Windows - this can email the users if their email address is stored in AD. It can send customised messages to users who violate the policies. I have it already for students, staff will get it this summer (though much softer).

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice. We have never had quota's as it has never been an issue with storage until now. There is an AUP that all staff and pupils sign saying they will not store personal doc's on the college system and pupils are regularly checked for mp3's etc but staff have always been 'allowed' to carry on as they are.

Some of the worst offenders are SMT so need to try and not rock the boat too much but also have to get them to remove it or lose it. Those with itunes i know have ipods so will have sync'd with their pc's so i have no worries deleting it as it is a breach of the AUP. Think i best run the warning past the HM first just to cover me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread