+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Video Streaming and ERA Licensing in Technical; So in theory a file acquired from some medium, say from a network of world wide interconnected computers, would be ...

Thank Post
    So in theory a file acquired from some medium, say from a network of world wide interconnected computers, would be OK as it was originally captured by DVD recorder, or PC card?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    So in theory a file acquired from some medium, say from a network of world wide interconnected computers, would be OK as it was originally captured by DVD recorder, or PC card?
    It's my understanding that if you obtain it through illegal means, even though you have the right to a digital copy, it is still illegal. So if you have a DVD of a recent BBC series that you want a digital copy of, to make available on your VLE - as is specifically licensed under the ERA+ scheme - you would have to rip the content yourself and not just say "I have the DVD, I want a digital copy, I can download it from this link and save myself the effort".

Which is thoroughly ridiculous, and thus completely in character for copyright laws.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    You can use a dvd or legal download such as from a online rental company but not a rip you've found on the internet.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can use the DVD *played from* the DVD (ie not a 'ripped section') or the legally downloaded version under the PVSL licence and use the digitally encoded version from a free to air recording under ERA+.

Anything else would have to be on negotiation with the publishing company and any others who might hold some rights to the DVD / Video. Some of this might have already been done for you if using clipbank, clickview channels, etc ...

5. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

sonofsanta (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You can use the DVD *played from* the DVD (ie not a 'ripped section') or the legally downloaded version under the PVSL licence and use the digitally encoded version from a free to air recording under ERA+.

Anything else would have to be on negotiation with the publishing company and any others who might hold some rights to the DVD / Video. Some of this might have already been done for you if using clipbank, clickview channels, etc ...
    Thanks Tony - your knowledge puts the rest of us to shame, as always.

Given that the ERA+ only lets you use digital broadcasts then, have any of the channels given details of how schools can get permanent downloads to store on site and access later? A lot of BBC documentaries are ruddy marvellous for education, but only if you can schedule all your lessons to fall within a week of each other and only in the month after broadcast. Which is very annoying when it's a program that captures part of the curriculum perfectly and could be re-used year after year.

Thank Post
    Is that not the whole purpose of ERA+? You record it off-air and keep the recording.

I thought the digital bit referred to your recording, rather than the transmission medium - in Lincolnshire you'll only have analogue broadcasts until August anyway!

I don't know if this is the case for schools, but for us in HE we have to be careful with the BBC documentaries - if it's an Open University co-production it's excluded from our license, so that means that things like Coast are off-limits.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The full details of ERA+ are on the ERA site The ERA Licensing Scheme and I would recommend people take a close look at the terms of the licence carefully. After recent comments about logging what goes on for a copyright audit, this will also apply to materials recorded under ERA and then digitised / published under ERA+.

Section 6 - Maintaining Records - covers this quite a bit, including sorting out your library of recordings. I know many people will shake their head at yet another piece of red tape for having to log and itemise everything which is recorded, but this is just about creating a decent video library. Once you have this it makes life so much easier for staff who need to find any recorded material. This is why folk pay for things like Clickview or other electronic video storage and display systems.

Another important thing to remind manglement about ... this is a licence. It is an annual payment for the permission to do make use of the ERA+ setup. If you don't pay then you have to stop using and delete the digital recordings. The same applies to many schools becoming academies ... you might find that some of your LAs have been paying for ERA (or even ERA+ too) ... and this will now be the responsibility of the Academy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ERA+ refers to encoded recordings ... the use of the word digitise is in reference to the process of encoding an analogue recording (or one made onto an off-line system such as VHS) into an electronic format, or the direct recording of a free-to-air broadcast via an electronic system. It does not refer to recording of channels broadcast on 'digital' rather than 'analogue'.

It's just one of those things where some terms are very similar but used to mean different things. That is why the first section in the terms for ERA+ is the definitions section.

10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

nickjelly (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Is that not the whole purpose of ERA+? You record it off-air and keep the recording.
    Quoting from Tony's link just there, ERA+ is "an additional licence which will enable licensed ERA Recordings to be accessed by students and teachers on line whether they are on the premises of their school, college or university, or at home or working elsewhere within the UK."

Which unless I'm misreading it horribly, sounds like you can make licensed shows available on your VLE. Which requires getting a permanent recording. Which as far as I can tell, has to be done individually by each school through a capture card and an aerial, because there's no scheme under which schools can access permanent, downloadable copies of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I don't know if this is the case for schools, but for us in HE we have to be careful with the BBC documentaries - if it's an Open University co-production it's excluded from our license, so that means that things like Coast are off-limits.
    Someone seriously needs to sort out copyright law. It's just getting ridiculous.

(although I suspect that's the point, you're so terrified that no matter how careful you are you end up breaking the law, that you just don't do anything, and/or pay over the odds for licences you don't actually need)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The ERA and ERA+ is an agreement with licence holders to allow non-personal, non-commercial educational use of broadcasted materials from most rights holders from free-to-air channels. There are some restrictions which is why the ERA and ERA+ terms tell you to look at the credits and not use it if the rights holders put something in there about not using it (similar to the intro on DVDs meaning you have to get the PVSL licence).

The licence is kept as simple as possible, but that also means that it is not that flexible ... they could negotiate it to be far more flexible that that would make it complex, produce a sliding scale for the licence charge and it gets messy.

The OU restriction (IIRC) in HE/FE is down to the fact that the OU is a university and they do not want other universities using their staff, materials, resources, expertise without paying an appropriate amount. IIRC it is possible to sort out a separate arrangement with the OU about this and it should also cover stuff which would normally be covered on Free-To-Air broadcasts too. I no longer have a contact in the team looking after this at the OU though ... so if someone was to try to find out it might be helpful for HE/FE members.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Which unless I'm misreading it horribly, sounds like you can make licensed shows available on your VLE. Which requires getting a permanent recording. Which as far as I can tell, has to be done individually by each school through a capture card and an aerial, because there's no scheme under which schools can access permanent, downloadable copies of shows.
    With the ClickView system and an ERA+ licence you can make use of an Exchange website where schools with 24/7 digital capturing boxes upload their free-to-air tv recordings. With a couple of clicks one can download titles from the Exchange and upload to the school's library for permanent storage. It's a wonderfully effective system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12