Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Remote Access with Log me in or another online alternative. in Technical; Some LAs and schools are using 'Log Me In', as far as I understand it Becta required dual form authentication ...
    Thank Post

Remote Access with Log me in or another online alternative.

Some LAs and schools are using 'Log Me In', as far as I understand it Becta required dual form authentication so we have never used 'Log Me In' as it doesn't "tick that box".

Anyone using 'Log Me in'? Anyone got any advice on if we should be using it or not to give teachers access to their SIMS data?

My instincts tell me that 'Log Me In' is unaccountable for any connectivity therefore it is not ideal as a remote access mechanism into children's/parents etc. personal & private information.

Sorry for excessive use of '' - I had to do it to identify that it was a product name and not a description of a service.

Thank Post
    we have cryptokeys fobs from the lea and a cisco client.

if its for yourself i use teamviewer now and again

Thank Post
    Just a thought, but as logmein and other derivatives require a username and password to access the intermediate system, followed by a domain user and password to login to the PC and bearing in mind the connection is encrypted end to end does that not meet the "two factor" argument.

I guess a dongle and Radius followed by a domain login is stronger because you need the token generator.

With Teredo and Meredo IP6 exploits in the wild since 2007 and many existing IPv4 firewalls about as useful as a chocolate teapot, I guess we all need to be extra vigilant

Thank Post
    We (RM) use LogMeIn a lot, but I also use teamviewer for helping people out

Advantage of TeamViewer is that its a free version of LogMeIn123 ... (Send user an email with a URL so they download a temp client that gives a unique connection number...)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnymac View Post
    Anyone got any advice on if we should be using it or not to give teachers access to their SIMS data?
    If you want two-factor authentication, would a VPN be best - the users has to have a VPN encryption key and a username/password to connect. If you dish out a different encryption key to each user you can have fine-grained controll over access - if someone has a laptop stolen you can instantly disable their key. OpenVPN would probably be a good place to start investigating (sorry, a bit short on details, - it's something I need to learn more about myself).

Thank Post
    I know remote access first time in my life using logmein rescue when a nortan agent took remote access to my pc.I was amazed but i tried myself with my relatives and freinds later.Then i found it to be difficult to newbies and old people.After i used team viewer as its very easy to connect.But unfortunately its only free for non commercial and personal use.I tried many and end up with MINGLEVIEW a High Definition Remote access and connection methodology is very easy.Quality was like as though your working on the same system.But its free and no installation needed as i just downloaded and opened to run.

Thank Post
    How about using rds gateway to access the machines?

Thank Post
    We use an rd gateway to remote in. Gets around the county's firewall and works really well. (You do need https to the server for it to work though and if you have that you can set up a SSTP VPN as well)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread