+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, IT Support in computer labs in Technical; Thank you to all who contributed - you've pretty much confirmed my own view of the situation but it is ...

Thank Post
    Thank you to all who contributed - you've pretty much confirmed my own view of the situation but it is always worth checking other people's processes to see if it is just me being difficult or, as I'm often accused, too corporate.

Thank Post
    In one school I set it up so a tech could be booked for the beginning, end or all of a lesson. This was for lesons booked and not for timetables lessons. Over time this resource was used less and less as teachers confidence improved

JPS
    Thank Post
    Come September we wouldnt even have the option as we will commence with our managed service and Capita/Ramesys will not be paying their techs to support lessons! In an ideal world perhaps, if a school could afford a kind of IT Tech/TA and assign them to each of their IT teachers....

Bev

Thank Post
    We are a small school, with one ICT suite and one ICT Technician/Network Manager (ie me).
    My Office is adjacent to the Suite, (as it is infact the classroom cupboard) so whilst I am not in lessons, I am always immediately available.

I do find that different members of staff view my role in different ways, and the head of ICT would like me to spend more of my time in ICT lessons, but it really isn't the best use of my time.

Thank Post
    Here IT does not equal ICT. ICT is only one subject, and not actually the biggest user of IT. We have an office in the centre of the school and resopnd to calls as they come in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeTP View Post
    At the school where I work we have a small war going on regarding provision of IT Support staff during lessons in computer labs. Without prejudicing the replies by stating my own position/viewpoint I'd be interested to know how other schools cater for this.

Do you have a technician present in each and every IT lesson?

Do you have one technician based in each lab to provide assistance but also responding to calls nearby?

Do you respond to issues if they arise from a central support section?

Do you have a different approach?

Any and all replies gratefully received!
    No, No, No.

Teachers teach, classroom assistants, gtp and pgce assist and IT techs fix proper stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Why would there be a need for a technician in the classroom? Everything should be working, if not then logged and fixed as and when. If there is a need for an assistant it should be a classroom assistant not a technician. We support the school site, not a department.
    Quite! When I started my job here (junior school with one IT Suite and me as only IT support), I was employed as IT Teaching Assistant and IT Technician jointly. I was in every IT lesson, assisting with the teaching. I was then (still am) only part time, and was left with VERY little time to actually do IT Tech stuff. As soon as I got the chance, after struggling on for a few years, I dropped the Teaching Assistant bit. If there is a technical issue in an IT class, someone now sends a runner.

Thank Post
    As above - No on all counts - and still the case now that RM have taken over..

Tech to PC ratio here is 1:400 over 6 IT Suites... Ain't going to happen anytime soon...

Our Head of IT has been demanding this for the past few years and insisting he get preferential treatment

He and I have had many arguements about this and he has been told repeatedly to log IT faults on the helpdesk

Case in point..

On one occaission he called me up, wanting to me to create a user account for a Polish student.. I asked him to either raise it on the helpdesk or email me it - easier due the amount of letters in the Pupils name.
    He then hung up..
    I then try and ring him back - several times within 10 mins only for the phone to go unanswered..
    What he had done was: Hangup, stomp off out the room, past my office, and down tot he DHT ranting and raving about things and how he was too busy to log calls - blah blah -

DHT eventually emailled me the info (username was 16 characters long!) and the account got created there and then.. (just under 2 mins from receipt of the email to sending one back saying "done")

So in total that entire call must have taken about 20 minutes... had compaired to the 2 it should have taken..

As for IT presense in suites - I ONLY do that if there is something like an IT related exam - and that is only as far as them loggin in and the exam starting - I then make sure I am available for the duration whilst I continue my work - 9/10 I am never called back...

As long as you have an effective way of dealing with IT calls (helpdesk / email) then there is no need to be in the IT suites unless you are needed

It also stops you being used as a cheap TA..

Thank Post
    Everything goes through helpdesk unless its MEGA urgent in which case there is a phone in each ICT suite that can be used.

Generally we have ICT suites bigger than the class size to allow for hiccups that might happen, i.e. blue screen of death, keyboard broken etc.

Head of curriculum ICT is all for the helpdesk, and teaches his staff of the importance of it. I guess im lucky when compared to reading some of your comments.

Thank Post
    My $0.02: Our tech to PC ratio is 1:830...Every student has a notebook...We do just fine!

Thank Post
    Do you have a technician present in each and every IT lesson?
    No.

Do you have one technician based in each lab to provide assistance but also responding to calls nearby?
    No.

Do you respond to issues if they arise from a central support section?
    Yes.

Do you have a different approach?
    Yes will also respond to phone calls / pupils in emergencies.

One technician per 800 PCs here. The scenario you descibe above is not feasible in any secondary school.

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12