+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Startup Script not completed before login in Technical; I have a startup script that uninstalls mcafee: objShell.Run ("C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MANAGE~1\Agent\myinx /Script=C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MANAGE~1\VScan\vsasap.in x /Section=DefaultUninstall /quiet") It works on its own. It ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Startup Script not completed before login

I have a startup script that uninstalls mcafee:

objShell.Run ("C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MANAGE~1\Agent\myinx /Script=C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MANAGE~1\VScan\vsasap.in x /Section=DefaultUninstall /quiet")

It works on its own.

It also gives me a dialog box "do you wish to uninstall mcafee etc" if ran without /quiet switch running as a startup script. This suggests it works in the startup script.

But it does not appear to work properly, as a startup script. I previously had a similair script to uninstall google toolbar, this worked fine, but was slightly different as it was written:

objshell.run """C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarManager_9DE96A29E72 1D90A.exe""/uninstall" ,,True

like i said though the script does perform the job if ran whilst logged in.

Also as i said, if ran without /quiet, in the startup script, i can see the dialog box

Am not sure why this would happen.

I have tried various settings in gpmc like stated here: Scripts Extension Tools and Settings: Group Policy

Run logon scripts synchronously
    Run startup scripts visible

It appears that the script process is not being completed. Or its not working, but with waht i stated earlier things seem to be running ok in some respects.

Anyone help?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    i assume its because the script thats running at startup is finishing the uninstalers its calling are running on their own and are not tied back to the main script so the main script goes run prog1 done run prog 2 done rather than run prog one wait for control to be returned run prog 2 and so on

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It looks like you are right. I added the ,,true and removed the parenthesis and it now waits.

I had tried this previous, removing parenthesis, but i was getting syntax errors.

Only issue now is that its nt running at startup, its running after I log in. It says running startup scripts, after I login. Weird. Might be something to do with the synchronous thing i set in gpmc.

Thanks for response.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you enabled synchronous processing?
    If not try setting: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

Sounds like users are logging in before policies are applied which (in my opinion) is never a good idea.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread