+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Backups in Technical; I have some 500Gb of data at home and need to find some sort of solution to back it up ...

Thank Post

Backups

I have some 500Gb of data at home and need to find some sort of solution to back it up more often. At the minute I have a HP G4 and G5 server which I am currently building up as a file server and I am going to create a raid on it, (what do you recommend for this) so need something to back it up with. I am looking to install Backup Exec on it.

Thank Post
    Personally I use backblaze.com to backup all of my personal data. At $50/year for unlimited storage (I have around 500gb backed up ) it's a godsend. The initial upload takes a while (mine took months!), but now its there the only things that get uploaded are changes and new files. Hell of a lot easier than worrying about building your own backup infrastructure at home and worrying about loosing all those photos and documents should you have a fire/break in.

Also cheaper on the electricity . Failing that why not looking into something like cobian backup (free) which should work fine for basic files?

Thank Post
    I do not want to upload externally I want to keep it all at home, I know it will not be cheap but want to put something into place. I am just not sure weather I should be backing up to tape or what. If so which ones. I only want to backup once every few weeks so I have a copy of everything but its getting a bit tedious and slow backing up to an external drive now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I do not want to upload externally I want to keep it all at home, I know it will not be cheap but want to put something into place. I am just not sure weather I should be backing up to tape or what. If so which ones. I only want to backup once every few weeks so I have a copy of everything but its getting a bit tedious and slow backing up to an external drive now.
    Not to be rude but if your house burns down you'll lose your backup and your main data. At least with uploading it it's 'offsite'.....your only option would be to backup to tape and buy a fire proof safe.....

Thank Post
    I backup to a couple of external hard drives. One is just a copy not stored on the PC but kept at home, the other I keep at work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread