+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, A proposal for extra staff? in Technical; Hi (First, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section ) Hope everyone had a decent weekend. I am ...

Thank Post

A proposal for extra staff?

Hi (First, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section )

Hope everyone had a decent weekend.

I am looking for another member of staff to join the ICT support team given that our facilities have grown so much over the past 3 years and that we have a bigger student in take next year, which in turn means extra facilities.

I have been told that this shouldnt be a problem, however i need to create a proposal on paper for the governers.

So the question is - where do i start with the* layout of this proposal???? Looked on the net but there isnt much out there that isnt american and that does make sense.

Any help would be appriciated.

* = edit

Thank Post
    It would be helpful if you create a Job description for the new post, you will then find that the information for the proposal will come naturally as you justify points in the JD.

Thank Post
    Probably rubbish, but I would go with something like this. I don't think you will need anything to wordy:

Since <date> the school in take has grown by <percentage>, this has increase support request by <percentage>.

Currently <percentage> of support request are dealt with in a <number> hours, which we and the teachers feel is having a negative effect on teaching and learning.

By employing another skilled member of staff we hope to resolve support request within <number> hours.

Also by growing the IT team will free up some of the IT Manager time to move forward with key projects.

Cost for employing a new member of staff is xxxxxx.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Things to include:

history of the 'problem'
    what you want
    how much
    WHAT IS THE RETURN ON INVESTMENT... if you can get something accurately quantifiable, that will help.

The last point is the seller, or at least is with the ones I write!

Thank Post
    I also am in the process of preparing a proposal and would be interested to see what others have produced or hear how people have justified another member of staff. I have lots of ideas and can easily justify but I want my proposal to cover all bases and not easily be declined. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share any documents publicly.

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tend to open with a Background section, which in your case would be along the lines of "the IT Support team has been 2 members big since 2005. Over that time we have grown from a small provision of 100 computers and 3 servers up to our current network of 400 PCs, 150 laptops, 12 servers, a managed wireless solution, a VLE, and a networked coffee pot for the staff room. This increase has resulted in a greater reliance on IT not only for administration but also for teaching and learning."

Then have Problem, i.e. "With the new demands placed upon our small team we are struggling to maintain the status quo, let alone continue to improve and refine the IT provision in school. Our requests are up by 4000%, and our backlog grows by around 5 jobs a week due to a lack of staff time. We would like to migrate to Windows 7 and virtualise our servers but are unable to make time for these forward thinking and money saving projects"

Proposal "We would liek to employ an additional technician into our team under similar conditions of employment as Mr Marvellous, the current technician. This would allow us once again to begin improving the infrastructure and provision in school, improve our support times, blah de blah de blah..."

Something like that, anyway!

Thank Post
    Good opening Santa - i also include details of salary, working hours, and went as far to provide a job description proposal, as it clearly lays out what you would expect an individual to do for the money indicated.

If your suggestion gets turned down because of money then you could push for ...

if you have the time / resources, an apprentership appointment. There are fairly good technical minded students out there fresh from school etc, that will do an apprentership and the wage is only £2.50 an hour. You have to give them day release for college but ive found in the past that you can get very good "firefighters" that just need to get on the working ladder some how! Reminds me of how i started out, and wanted someone to give me that break!

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies. I've made a good start today and will finish tomorrow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread