+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Replicating RM Network onto Vanilla in Technical; Morning all, Following on from a previous thread i started on here, i am looking to finalise my costings for ...

Thank Post

Replicating RM Network onto Vanilla

Morning all,

Following on from a previous thread i started on here, i am looking to finalise my costings for moving to Vanilla.

We currently have a RM CC3 network, using RM tutor 3, RM Management console, RM Build Manager and RM Backup (on 2 of the servers) to manage the network. We have 3 servers running W2K3 SP2 and clients run XP SP3. In total we have 4 Windows 2003 SP licenses and 1 Symantec Backup Exec license. We have currently got 369 Windows 7 Pro licenses with the rest XP.

We are looking to also upgrade to Windows 7 and adding a 4th Server to run SCCM and the SQL database.

In total we have 425 PCs/Laptops that in our plan will be connecting to our network. I have come up with the following software/licenses to try and re-create a similar network setup as the RM one so that staff dont get too upset.....

Vanilla Setup
    Server 2008 R2 License x 4
    Server 2008 R2 CAL's x 425
    Server 2008 R2 Media x 1

SCCM 2007 R3 License x 1
    SCCM 2007 R3 CAL's x 425
    SCCM 2007 R3 Media x 1
    SQL Server 2008 x 1
    SQL Server 2008 CAL x 1
    SQL Server 2008 Media x 1
    Basic Rackmount Server x 1

Symantec Backup Exec License x 2

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Licenses x 56

Including the Windows 7 license upgrades this looks to be totalling around 17,100

RM CC4 Upgrade Costs
    RM quote = 17,500
    Windows 7 Pro Upgrade licenses = 10,500
    Total = 28,000

Im after any information from those who have moved from a similar RM setup to Vanilla and for a list of the software you use? Have i missed anything out to get this up and running?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would consider something like a K-box instead of SCCM as it supposed to require one person full time to manage it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    I would consider something like a K-box instead of SCCM as it supposed to require one person full time on it.
    Thanks for input - i went for SCCM as i have experience in the configuration and maintenance of it. True it was in a much larger team but we would only be using certain features in it which i think will make it easier to manage. I have never heard of K-box? do you have link for more info as wont rule anything else out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    www.kace.com they are now owned by Dell. I did speak to the case study school in the UK running it.

5. Thanks to nicholab from:

mcnallyfc (4th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    I would consider something like a K-box instead of SCCM as it supposed to require one person full time to manage it.
    I've got SCCM here and if you know your way around it already it won't take long to set up and keep running. Will also handle all your imaging needs as well so I'd say well worth it on education pricing

7. Thanks to gshaw from:

mcnallyfc (4th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I've got SCCM here and if you know your way around it already it won't take long to set up and keep running. Will also handle all your imaging needs as well so I'd say well worth it on education pricing
    That was my hope - there are two us of here that would look after it and im confident that if setup correctly it can be managed easily enough

Am keen on feedback on anything else that was purchased to make the RM to Vanilla transition easier? or something you wish you had purchased when you had the chance.....?

Thank Post
    Some thoughts:

Tutor 3 replacement (if required)?
    Print Management (quotas etc.)?
    Review existing s/w packages e.g. are there any you want with restrictive RM small-print or config/functionality that won't play nicely with vanilla? Or are just broken on Win7?
    Do people have or will they want some kind of remote access from home to docs?
    Backup Exec: Not sure what's going where, but if you want the full "media server" install working on a 2008 R2 you need BE2010. And if you don't then you likely want an agent.

Given SCCM I can't think of anything else especially significant. You obviously need to string the new domain together, in particular design and make that OU structure, GPOs, file system structure, and it might be worth trying to figure out the rough time and the cost required for that.

I always pitch that at around 3 months which would significantly narrow the price gap you have above, but I'm a bit of perfectionist and it's my estimate for "nothing left to do besides get on and use it".

10. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

mcnallyfc (5th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Piqueboo - exactly what i was after

I forgot to include ABTutor in the original post - we are looking at purchasing that to replace Tutor 3. We did look at netsupport to replicate Tutor but their costs for us were crazy.

We currently have papercut on trial, we are looking to purchase this soon as a printing solution in the school regardless of if we go to vanilla or cc4 so that will manage the printing aspect.

Software/packages is a good point - one thing we are planning to do is to test software on Windows 7, the packages on a vanilla setup is not a major issue as to start with we will be looking at image creation rather than deploying packages.

Currently there is no provision for people to be able to access docs from home.

Backup exec - i think we just need the agent running on the servers

With regards to timescale we are having to stick to budget times and have this done over 2 budgets. The split plan would have us purchase all software/licenses as well as the 2 new servers (one is replacement FRDC that RM are doing - the other server can be setup for testing vanilla domain and W7 PCs) in year one, then second year would be for purchasing the new PCs and any RAM upgrades needed as well as the Windows 7 Pro upgrade licenses.

Oh and to those who noticed my calculations seemed high, i actually need 278 upgrade licenses not 56!

Thank Post
    Interesting as we are looking at the same!

Thank Post
    If its any help TechMonkey i have finished a draft report that im presenting to our finance committee. Big thing for me was the small team we have here (2!) supporting a new vanilla network. So current support costs and what we get were looked into as well as looking at potential 3rd party support.

What i went for in the end was a 3 option approach all over 3 financial years.

First option was upgrade to CC4 and getting all school PCs up to recommended (not min) Windows 7 spec.
    Second option was to go Vanilla, including server 2008 licenses, abtutor, Windows 7 across the school and also sccm and required licenses to manage it utilising as well existing LEA support we currentl pay for.
    Third option was vanilla, with server 2008 licenses, abtutor, Windows 7 across the school but with 3rd party server and infrastructure 2nd and 3rd line support (that comes with Keseya) to replace LEA support.

Still a bit of a toss up between the vanilla options, using third option means costs of the 3 year plan are around 4k cheaper (no sccm etc) but the support costs are about 2k per year more expensive.

Will have to see what they say with regards to the report but im siding with the third option as its only a yearly rolling contract with the 3rd party company so can leave if need be once we up and running.

Thank Post
    Exactly what we are looking at. Option 1 is not very likely at all. We'd probably go with Option 2. I'm trying to write a report but as ever everything gets in the way. The biggest problem will be money. So may try and stage it, so get hardware up to spec this year then go for the jump. I'd like to virtualize a lot, but that may well add too much to the cost as well as complicate it. We shall see, as the Chinese say, Interesting Times

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just got an e-mail to say that the k-box will be on the dell stand.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread