+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Asset tags in Technical; We've been asked to start putting asset tags on our equipment (mostly the non networked stuff that doesn't auto appear ...

Thank Post

Asset tags

We've been asked to start putting asset tags on our equipment (mostly the non networked stuff that doesn't auto appear in Spiceworks but also IT equipment that was purchased out of a department's budget rather than ours).

We would like to use those 2D bar codes (QR codes?) on the equipment - do any of you know of a recommended labeler/software to get that done - we don't want them falling off after 5 minutes.

A scanner that can read them bar the android/iphone app might be useful too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank Post
    Any particular reason for wanting to use 2d barcodes? surely the only info you really need to record on such a barcode is the asset number

I'm not sure how suitable 2d barcodes would be for this, I know very little about them but I assume that if 10% of the barcode happens to wear off over time or be defaced by students you'd have very little chance of being able to scan it successfully whereas normal barcodes would probably stand up to wear and tear slightly better and any defacement would be more obvious

James

Thank Post
    It was more so we could get the info on the item immediately rather than having to look it up (and that it seems a bit new and we'd like to have a go with it). We were thinking of Dept. Shop. Date of Purchase. Budget. Warranty? Notes (such as "this was bought on the understanding there is no support from IT") etc just being available with a scan from a phone/scanner over the label. You have a point about their ability to stand up to scratches and attack but it might be we end up with a QR over a normal barcode then as a backup - it's not like they take much space.
    I just didn't instantly find what I wanted so I thought I'd see if anyone else had experimented.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    If possible just an asset number under the 2d barcode which can then be looked up.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    On the label side take a look at these - Avery NoPeel Labels

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread