+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Your first day as System Administrator in Technical; yes, that'd be great, thanks for all of the input guys....

Thank Post
    yes, that'd be great, thanks for all of the input guys.

Thank Post
    ok, here it is for a summary from various sources:

1. Understand where the overall business plans as well as where it wants to go.
    2. I would speak with my manager (and the business managers) to discover his or her top priorities and then work up a plan to address these.
    3. what needs improvement from not only the existing IT team, but from every department that you come in contact with in your first few weeks. Spend an extra 5 minutes when working on a user issue, and have a conversation with them about how IT plays a role in their work. What works great, what doesn't.
    4. Understand companies BCP see that everything is in place and fool proof. what's your backup plan and tape rotation schedule and how far back is your recovery window.
    5. The way things are configured, policies and customs in place, Reasons for things that may seem odd and Network topology map
    6. physical walkround/inventory of equipment and Full Inventory of Licensing.
    7. a floor plan with people and equipment on it. Find your "expert users" in each department so you have a good, reliable source when you need someone to help explain operations, procedures, or just need someone to help you test something out
    8. Get to know some of the key people (not necessarily managers) to get an understanding of their jobs .
    9. Find any contact information for vendor and reps and give them a call and get the relationship going.
    10. Review all server logs - look for problems and fix them
    11. I'd be learning all the established processes and schedules that kept their system running.
    12. I'll dig around for what apps I'm aware of and try to at least familiarize myself with what software packages are being used and figure out how many of them I already know and which ones I'll need to learn, and make a special note of which one is their "main" app.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12