Poll: Do you allow staff to have Local Admin Privileges?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Do you allow staff to have Local Admin privileges? in Technical; I am currently having an argument with my SMT relating to a specific user and local admin permissions on said ...
    Thank Post

Do you allow staff to have Local Admin privileges?

I am currently having an argument with my SMT relating to a specific user and local admin permissions on said staff member's PC so that they can "still work when the network is down" (we have had two outages in 6 months thanks to power cuts, both of which were resolved in less than 2 hours).

Said member of staff has had local admin privileges in the past and saved all of her data to the C: drive. Until the hard drive "failed". Apparently four years worth of work was lost including staff appraisals, personal references and other sensitive data relating to personnel.

Despite the blatant incompetence on display, plus the severe breach of Data Protection legislation, said member of staff is still pushing for local admin rights! And the Head is backing them up!

In fact, the Head wants all staff to have local admin permissions and the ability to install their own software. I have attempted to explain that my position becomes untenable if that desire becomes a reality as I will never be able to keep track of software licenses let alone the trouble caused by the multitude of cr4p which would be added to the network. And the potential for further breaches of Data Protection legislation, intentional or otherwise...

Anyway, before you all start complaining this thread should be in FFS, what I really need to know is this: How many of you allow your staff unrestricted C: drive access with permission to install anything and everything?

Thank Post

Re: Local Admin Permissions

On their laptops and PC's of which they only use they are allowed local admin. Any PC's in LABS etc they are not.

Thank Post

Re: Do you allow staff to have Local Admin privileges?

Do you have an AUP in place with enforceable punishment for breaches, such as installation of unlicensed software?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Oh my, I feel really sorry for you on this. There is NO way I would let anyone have the admin password. Can't you get some sort of Edugeek E-petition setup so we can all back you up on this ? Then you can show it to your head and SMT.
    As you know a network setup like that would be un-manageable. Can't you explain if this happened it would not be long before the students got hold of the password and started deleting everything in site and causing a mass of problems ?
    If they still insist of granting Admin rights to all staff, I would write up an E-mail letter to them & the Govs explaining what will happen, and when it happens you want NOTHING to do with it and that you had warned the SMT & Head and because of their actions you don't have a network anymore...
    I am sure others on the site would offer more valueable advice but all I can do is wish you luck on your quest.
    Get a petition going on here, I'll sign it....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,799 Posts

Staff can do whatever they like on their laptops - I have tried to point out all the things you mention but the head just lets them get on with it.
    They aren't allowed on my network, though, and if I get them for repair I take care to clean them up.
    I have said that if they go on my network, they will have the same permissions that staff have there - ie not allowed to install anything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I know giving staff LA rights to their laptops can open up a whole can of worms.
    All staff here have LA on their laptops. Yes, they can install their own software, but all know that we regularly (once every 6 weeks or so) get all staff laptops in to make sure updates are running and do basic health checks on them. So that means we will notice things and point it out to them (installation of file sharing/p2p stuff for example) or if it poses a threat, remove it.
    It's not an ideal situation but I think (not 100% sure) that with SIMS on their laptops, if they are LA then updates will install rather than us having to do it manually.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ravening_Wolf
    Do you have an AUP in place with enforceable punishment for breaches, such as installation of unlicensed software?
    We have no AUP.

Thank Post

Never, laptops they can do what they want, but network pc's are locked down and all work is saved onto the servers. I couldn't think of a worse thing than the burser losing all their work.Sometimes even a knoppix cd can't rescue the contents of a harddrive!!

Jo

Thank Post

I make staff members of the local admin group on thier own laptops, so they can do what they like with them. They need to be able to set up internet. They would be responsible for any crap software.

I also configure offline file so they can work at home and in school. This would negate the argument about needing to use the laptop when the server's down.

Thank Post

At a guess the best way to resolve this is to put together some demands of your own.

1. AUP with enforceable penalties if breached (ie: loss of admin rights, etc..)
    2. Require a training course to have been completed BEFORE admin rights given
    3. Absolutely no admin access on anything other than their specific classroom machine and/or laptop
    4. SLT must sign off on any remedial work required because of a teacher mis-using the admin privs

Beyond that I'd quietly make them at most a power user and ensure that any machines are locked down in terms of what they can do on the network.. and ensure that the network is locked down itself to detect and block any malware or suspect usage (eg: from a child gaining access and going a wandering).

Either way you'll only be able to counter the problems by stating your position in terms of the experience they will undoubtedly gain by forcing you to go this route. A classic case of "I told you so" waiting to happen..

My sympathies...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

Local Admins on their laptops ... but all teachers work from laptops ... there are no 'teacher computers' in any of the rooms now.

On the normal desktops ... they are locked down. The only exceptions are a few of the admin staff who are member of the local admin group (but still locked down) purely to make life easier with some of the admin software used.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by MK-2
    It's not an ideal situation but I think (not 100% sure) that with SIMS on their laptops, if they are LA then updates will install rather than us having to do it manually.
    Not strictly true. SIMS will update for non-admins if you run SIMSperm.bat on the machine before hand. This loosens permissions on the C:\Program Files\SIMS folder and on the HKCR registry key(yikes!).

Thank Post

Laptops: if they know what they're doing and the benefit outweighs the grief they would cause themselves. Currently that's 3 users out of ~60. SMT back me on this - everything they need for teaching is installed automatically. New tax laws FTW as well

Desktops: Nope, even if you're the only one to use that machine.

Given the users history of saving to C:, it would be safer for them to sit on their hands until the power comes back on.

Thank Post

Our staff have the ability to logon their laptop without the network being present, but they are still logging on with their network account. Because we have offline files enabled on all laptops this means they can be used as if they were on the network even if the servers aren't available. Of course they loose public drives etc. but their own home area, desktop etc. is still available.

All staff have local admin rights to the laptop too but again only through their network account, they don't have a local login as such. They still can't install software though, as we've disabled that ability using group policy. As soon as a setup program is run, it requests the administrator details.

The only reason we enabled local admin rights on laptops was so staff could install hardware at home such as printers, scanners, USB modems etc. which they couldn't do otherwise.

Desktop machines, no one has rights above a normal user. Never had any one challenge this as the machines do everything needed of them.

Mike.

Thank Post

I have a meeting with the Head on Friday and would like to be able to present a full AUP on the day in the event that I get overruled. Does anyone know where to find a template? The links on Becta were, errrr, poor...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast