+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, SSL Certs in Technical; Where do you get your SSL certs? What level of SSL do you normally go with or does it vary ...

Thank Post

SSL Certs

Where do you get your SSL certs? What level of SSL do you normally go with or does it vary depending on security demands?

Thank Post
    I get mine from Comodo (yes I know Firefox has a hissy fit with them) as they were the only ones where I could:
    a) talk to someone in the UK who knew what he was talking about and deals with every part of the process
    b) would accept school purchase orders
    We had quite complicated requirements due to Exchange 2010 and some other servers and our account manager sorted it out absolutely spot on first time, no other company I spoke to would actually advise us to exactly what we needed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I get mine from Comodo (yes I know Firefox has a hissy fit with them) as they were the only ones where I could:
    a) talk to someone in the UK who knew what he was talking about and deals with every part of the process
    b) would accept school purchase orders
    We had quite complicated requirements due to Exchange 2010 and some other servers and our account manager sorted it out absolutely spot on first time, no other company I spoke to would actually advise us to exactly what we needed.
    I got a 90-day free one with them. Which level of cert have you got? Is it worth getting the one with the green address bar thingy or is that just overkill?

Thank Post
    It really depends what you are doing with it. If I was running an e-commerce site I would get one of those green address bar ones and if we bring SIMS Learning Gateway in house rather than being hosted I would use one for that. If you are wanting it to use SSL with Exchange for activesync/web access then for most deployments you need a UCC certificate, you also need to look if single or wildcard certificates are best value for you if you have multiple sites.
    If you speak or mail their Manchester office I found them extremely helpful.

Thank Post
    We got them from GoDaddy. They were a complete nightmare. They couldnt understand that we only owned "school.council.sch.uk" and not "council.sch.uk". Took us weeks to get through to someone who speaks the lingo rather than Mia and her pidgin English. They gave us 48hours to do something, even on a weekend, but when you asked them a question they could take days to reply.

Thank Post
    If you are an FE/HE College (i.e. ac.uk domain) then ja.net provide them for free (as many as you want). I know that most people here are working at Schools, but I know there are a few FE techs on here...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have used GoDaddy in the past, but i use RapidSSL going forward as i have no issues with them where as GoDaddy wanted alot of Verification which can be difficult at times especially with .sch.uk domains.

James.

Thank Post
    I would echo the nightmare element of trying to work with GoDaddy. Lots of issues with standard SSL and trying to get a UC working wasted huge amounts of time for me, and eventually ended up with a no win situation from their techies resulting in a refund.

Comodo win hands down for me - education discounts, fantastic pre-tech sales and after sale support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    RapidSSL and AlphaSSL are the ones I've used recently.

Both work fine, the latter requires a little more prep work than the prior, but has more widespread compatibility IIRC.

JPS
    Thank Post
    I use ipsCA - SSL Certificates SSL Wildcard SSL Free Certificates SSL Server Certificate 256 bits . I have had no problems with them and they do certificates for schools at no cost, and it just took one email to explain the school.council.sch.uk issue.

Thank Post
    I have used ipsCA certificate they are still having issues with firefox. They are also limited on what you can actually do with the certificate, they will only allow server authenication nothing else like client authenication etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We recently bought a wildcard domain certificate from SchoolsICT - enabling 21st century learning
    very fast service, and no problem about paying by credit card (which is difficult for us) once they have set up an account, we just settle the invoice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread