+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Student ID Card system in Technical; Hi all, We're looking to upgrade our Student ID Card printing system. Any recommendations? Ideally we could integrate it with ...

Thank Post

Student ID Card system

Hi all,

We're looking to upgrade our Student ID Card printing system. Any recommendations? Ideally we could integrate it with existing data from our student management system, like student names/ID #s, as well as existing photos.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    What do you currently use.

We use Card5 and it's pretty good, prints to quality cards with a special printer, but does require a dedicated PC with a special dongle in it.

It can use any sort of data base, excel, access, sql. Currently we're on access and have to manually update from SIMs. Am looking at buying into a solution whereby we host on sql and get it synched with sims overnight.

The only we've had is i couldn't work out how to manipulate the pics in / out of the access db, i'm hoping it's easier in sql, or a maybe a newer version of the software.

There's no reason you couldn't dump it straight out of your MIS system with a suitable template and a decent printer to do the job. You may need a special printer for best quality. SIMS could do this quite easily i think, we have the system as it hosts other databases for staff, parents, workmen, maids, etc. who aren't all on SIMs.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

MarsRed (1st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info.

I honestly don't know what we're currently using. It's not something I was involved with until being asked to look into a new system.

Could you post a link to Card5's website? There are a few variations when I Google it and want to make sure I'm looking at the right one.

rad
    Thank Post
    We use CardExchange, works well and we use a webcam for the pics. When the guy came to sort an issue out, turns out the same company also do the scrolling faces on the Ant and Dec Sat Night show

Thank Post
    Overview

It's a high end bit of kit if you want it to be. We use it for student and staff id as the others, it prints on the reverse, can do magnetic strip too.
    We put the library bar code on it too, so it acts as libary card.

Not sure on price, but a quick google search came back with one version of software for only $85. You'd have to research a bit more though.

Just bear in mind the limitations i mentioned in getting into the access database, though the new versions are probably much better than our 5+ year old stuff.

Worth considering what other things you might want in the future like cashless dinner money payments etc. as those systems may double as an id too, so worth thinking out of scope a little.

Thank Post
    With CardExchange and Card5, are there printers bundled with the software, or do you need to go out and find a printer? If the latter, are there specific printers that work well with this software (perhaps that you've had good experiences with)?

Thank Post
    Separate but the reseller may bundle. Depends how much you wanna spend. Ours is a dedicated card printer and is v.quick producing credit card type quality. Not sure of model but can check on saturday

rad
    Thank Post
    We got our kit from DED - DED Ltd are uk suppliers of kiosk printers,retail, pharmacy, kitchen printer, barcode scanner, barcode reader, id, card, repairs, printer ribbons, printer rolls, cash drawer, customer display,epos systems, pos, hospitality, identity, label, receipt p

They are fantastic even to the point they are helpful when it came to upgrading the PC to RM CC4 and I forgot how to reinstall the software.

The database sits on a server and the software is really easy to use, do ask if you have any questions.

We have 2 printers, both the same 330 card printer

Last edited by rad; 2nd December 2010 at 09:04 AM.

Thank Post
    I just checked mine and it's a Zebra too

Zebra P310 to be exact.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread