+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, ICT suite layout. in Technical; I couldn't find the relevant section to post this under, hope it's ok here! There is the possibility that we ...

Thank Post

ICT suite layout.

I couldn't find the relevant section to post this under, hope it's ok here!

There is the possibility that we may have the oppotunity to change the layout in some of our ICT suites this coming summer, but as usual the planning starts now. What I'm after is peoples experiences of good and bad room layouts, and also how much attention people pay to the advice contained on these pages on the becta site starting Here specifcally to do with the amount of space allowed per workstation.

My personal preference for several reasons is have the machines round 3 sides of the room with some normal desks in the centre of the room and the teachers desk centre of the room at the front. Put the printers next the the teachers desk. This way the teacher can see most of the screens from the front of the room, can monitor the printers and it also makes cabling and power nice and easy. This is how most of our rooms are layed out at the moment, but we're open to explore new layouts if they are beneficial, offer better use of space or a better room for staff to teach in. I'm sure there are better room layouts to be explored!

How have different people got rooms layed out? Has anyone got some pictures of different ICT room layouts and can people tell me how well they work in practice? We're trying to make sure the right decisions get made first time round if this re-arrangement goes ahead. It's only a proposal at the moment, but I like to do my homework!

Thanks,

Mike

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Re: ICT suite layout.

I have got mine in various ways, I've got PCs round the edges and the centres with PCs in as well, I've got PCs on 3 walls as you describe but the teachers machine on the side. I've had it where there are PCs intersperced with free desks as well. I have seen / worked in rooms where there are PCs on all 4 walls and the teachers machine is in the middle of the room and printer in one corner (I wasn't keen on that design), uum i've seen a designe where the pc's come out from a long wall on rows so the kids all sit back to back have the white board so they all look to the right (or left depending on which way you lay it out) and have the teachers PC (TPC) in the corner out of the way:
    PC PC PC PC PC PC
    PC PC PC PC PC PC
    PC PC PC PC PC PC

Board and Projector TPC

I don't know how good it is for Teaching in, but I have seen that way.

My personal Preference is the 3 walls in a U shape with the teachers machine at the head of the room so they can see all 3 walls of machine fairly easily and the printer up near the teachers machine.

Thank Post

This is going to be the layout of our new ICT Suite which I am really looking forward to:

Here are some artist impressions of what the front of the room will look like. Bear in mind it is a primary school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Last edited by webman; 10th June 2008 at 11:36 AM.

Thank Post

@webman

I really like your schools website, been having a good browse! Was that in-house or commissioned from somewhere?

I'm so deeply disappointed with ours, it was comissioned before I started although we've still not got it live yet, we've no motivation as we all dislike it, and adding and editing content on it is so awkward! Ours just looks so amaterish compared to most.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks Mike, I've sent you a PM so we don't go off-topic

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    it was comissioned before I started although we've still not got it live yet, we've no motivation as we all dislike it...

Sorry to continue the off topicness (but it is your thread after all ), but who actually made your website if it was comissioned? Incidently I like Craigs website as well, I stole his ideas for the virtual tour on our site (though admittedly mine is no-where near as professional looking).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Will upload pictures of our new ict suite when it opens week on Monday...

Basis of it is total of 34 computers put around edges with central island of computers but we have also kept area at front of room for group teaching by the board...

My also suggest you ask teaching staff as they are ones who have to use it what they would like...

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

1 vote for plain old boring PCs around 3 sides! (plus desks in the middle, teachers desk/ whiteboard/ etc on 4th side)

It's the only way teachers can keep an eye on all PCs . Yes you can view all screens remotely (we do that) and kids are at liberty to turn their monitors away from you . With TFTs you can keep the desktop narrow . 30+ PCs requires a big room .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    ... 30+ PCs requires a big room .
    You would be surprised it doesn't need big room we though that.

not sure measurement of our room but not that big room slightly bigger than normal classroom but not much.

But what it does need for you to do is throw away the furniture catalogue and find someone like design technician who is willing to design and build the room over half term. Also works out lot cheaper as well...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

arr i see

sorry

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

[I meant if you were putting them all around the outside Russ - a downside to that approach ]

Thank Post

If you go by the figres on the becta site, they recommend 1 metre between workstations (presumably measured centre to centre) this means you would obviously need a room with a minimum 30 metres of space round 3 walls to fit 30 workstations in going by their guidelines. At the moment, all our ICT suites have machines a lot closer than this, literally only just enough room for the mouse in between workstation keyboards, because of the size of the rooms, there just isn't this space round the outside of them to get the recommended spacing (which is why I was interested in looking at some alturnatives)

Ensuring the machines are spaced properly is our main concern with having them round the outside of the room, which is why I was wondering how much attention other schools pay to that recommended spacing??

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

We go for for 800mm in most rooms, but allow for a deep desk to be able to put the keyboard and mouse to the back and use it as a regular classroom for book work.

We also tend to have a central pod of 5-10 computers either as a single strip or a double strip (back-to-back) so that we do not waste the space in the centre of the room.

In the very large rooms that can manage all 30 computers round the outside we that have regular tables in the centre.

Pics will be put up on Monday.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    ... 30+ PCs requires a big room .
    You would be surprised it doesn't need big room we though that.

not sure measurement of our room but not that big room slightly bigger than normal classroom but not much.

But what it does need for you to do is throw away the furniture catalogue and find someone like design technician who is willing to design and build the room over half term. Also works out lot cheaper as well...

Russ
    I have done that before, had a fellow tech design and install the room, infact I've done it myself before now and it works well, Kitchen Worktop, Chrome legs (or wooden if you prefer), wall battoning, L brackets are about all you need as major components, of course you need screws, corner worktop clamps etc but they are all common things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast