+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you.....explain to a teacher what is legal and illegal..... in Technical; Originally Posted by jcollings So a student's music/media/languages/technology coursework or teaching resources that are legit are deleted as a matter ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    So a student's music/media/languages/technology coursework or teaching resources that are legit are deleted as a matter of routine (how you determine suspect is another issue) and to continue working on it or when they need it for a lesson they have to get it restored. I've got to say that doesn't feel over customer friendly to me.
    See my post and suggestion .. How do you.....explain to a teacher what is legal and illegal..... .. in summary, if it's genuinely needed for work, etc, the staff member has to at least authorise, if not actually complete, the paperwork for that and give it to the tech department to ensure it isn't deleted as a matter of routine .. if copyrighted material, it needs the appropriate permissions to go with ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Incidentally, if you were unable to download the music track etc. Would they expect you to go into HMV and steal the CD for them?
    Knowing some staff, they probably would! lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    See my post and suggestion .. How do you.....explain to a teacher what is legal and illegal..... .. in summary, if it's genuinely needed for work, etc, the staff member has to at least authorise, if not actually complete, the paperwork for that and give it to the tech department to ensure it isn't deleted as a matter of routine .. if copyrighted material, it needs the appropriate permissions to go with ..
    So they have to authorise every mp3/video etc a student produces or they produce for work?

Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning illegal activity. I am just saying the "we run a script to delete all file types" approach seems flawed to me as stacks of legit stuff exists across most networks. How do you ensure you know what every staff member or student is saving legitimately and not delete it. Registering with IT support seems impossible - students save dozens of media files in all sorts of courses that they need and are legal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    So they have to authorise every mp3/video etc a student produces or they produce for work?

Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning illegal activity. I am just saying the "we run a script to delete all file types" approach seems flawed to me as stacks of legit stuff exists across most networks. How do you ensure you know what every staff member or student is saving legitimately and not delete it. Registering with IT support seems impossible - students save dozens of media files in all sorts of courses that they need and are legal.
    I realise that it's a large task, but if there is genuine need for certain file types then the only real way to ensure that the files are no infringing on copyright is to have a paper trail of sorts. In an ideal world, educational needs would be exempt with a removal of files from, for example, a GCSE Group to archive after their year leaves.

The other method is to have set areas on drives that the legit stuff can be stored, or certain ways of naming files to ensure that they are marked as being legit, this way it saves the paper trail, but the flaw here is that if, taking my previous example, a member of staff wants to store "Take That - The Flood" somewhere for non-required usage, that by being shown how to put those things in place, they can easily have their illegal files stored.

Don't get me wrong, my method is also open to being got round by the simple fact they can rename a file and submit the paperwork and the file will stay. It was just a suggestion that for the genuinely legit stuff that there is a papertrail.

A class sized example could be that you have a folder called "GCSE 2011 Music" which is for all those who are doing their GCSE Music this year and leave at the end of this year. What you do then is get the member of staff responsible to complete a form saying that any of the media stored in this folder is for the use of the GCSE Music Students and that it falls within the remits of the educational use and that no unauthorised copyrighted material will be stored in this folder, then give access to those students and staff that need access and the folder is covered, and the responsibility then lies with that member of staff and the SLT of the school should issues arise. That way you can be seen to be doing all you can to combat copyright infringement in the school by having this in place.

It's a very big topic for discussion with a huge number of loopholes in any theory to how we can make it work for us and the schools, but (as the main theme is) if it is illegal and you are asked to do it, you shouldn't, this is just a way of combating the storage of illegal material on your network. If you word the agreements strongly enough that would, in a lot of cases, be enough to put staff off doing things. i.e. the final declaration along the lines of "by signing this form you agree to be wholly responsible for the content of this folder and, should an investigation be carried out and there found to be illegal material stored in this area, this form will be passed to the relevant authorities in the handling of the case" .. I know it sounds a bit severe, but it's all in an effort to ensure things are cut back.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I should add from the earlier post that now working with a good number of schools who also face the same issues are taking similar steps, not perfect but adequate, using drive spaces, naming conventions and user training.

Thank Post
    LOL

Today:

DVD "The Truman Show" left on my desk with a note ' 2 copies please'

Great!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Note back: No!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I'll give you + rep if you photocopy it.
    i'm pretty sure that the images are copyrighted also.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Make a really cheap video of you spoiling the whole plot in 30 seconds, then put that on their desk as the copies...

Thank Post
    This is based in the states but is very interesting at explaining what "fair use" is for resources

Copyright And Fair Use: Lesson Plans for High School, College and Graduate Education | Media Education Lab

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345