+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you.....explain to a teacher what is legal and illegal..... in Technical; There is some useful material from Simon Finch of NGfL here: copyright simfin that might help...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    There is some useful material from Simon Finch of NGfL here: copyright simfin that might help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gotta love teachers... as long as I can teach my lessons bugger the law...

That is an actual quote of a teacher arguing with me on this same subject a couple of years back!

Thank Post
    Am I the only one who is a little bit naughty on the copyright side?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personal or professional?

Thank Post
    This is off this point but there is no copyright on that...

Having seen a teacher instruct a TA to photocopy a book for every kid in the class this problem is nothing new. The dilemma is that now it is easy (relatively) and culturally prevalent (I blame my mate Buckie's mix tapes from the 1980's). Just with the photocopier and mix tape it is still illegal and nobody should undertake it as part of their duties at work. However the bigger picture is that the Law is not fit for the digital world we live in and governments and companies move to maintain the status quo rather than fix the problem.

Anyway for a different view on copyright and how it foils creativity check out

Larry Lessig on laws that choke creativity | Video on TED.com (check the Bush Blair love song half way in)

youtube and copyright

http://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_st...copyright.html

I especially like the thought of where would Disney be if it didn't use the out of copyright fairy tales to make its fortune last century.
    Last edited by Face-Man; 24th November 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I ask for the "order" in writing, signed, dated and countersigned by another member of staff, with a copy of the copyright holders permission, if they do not have the last part then I say no.

Headteacher threatened to give me a disciplinary for not following instructions and insubordination, 1 call to my union put her straight.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Personal or professional?
    Both...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CapEnd View Post
    Am I the only one who is a little bit naughty on the copyright side?
    Both...
    I think that's pretty bad - you should not be playing fast and loose with the law in a professional or personal capacity!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    That may be so, but who's going to know? I personally find it much easier to use a programme obtained from an iplayer downloading program as opposed to a teacher recording it onto a DVD, or setting up a freeview box and capture device.

The ERA can be a bit of a dinosaur at times. When I first contacted them in 2003 to talk about streaming media servers they had no idea what I was on about and had to write a new set of rules for it.
    Just because it can be a dinosaur, doesn't mean you should ignore the rules set by it.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

GREED (25th November 2010)

Thank Post
    The amount of Music CD's that people bring in to put on the system is unbeleivable. I crack down every few months or so, then they reappear despite me telling them about copyright issues. I've also explained that we as a school are unlicensed to watch DVD's in classroom's. It still goes on 4 years after me telling them...

Thank Post
    Anyone here seen documentary-log.com site - had a teacher in today asking me to free it up - seems connect to a site called "graboid" which looked very dodgy - anyone know

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Just because it can be a dinosaur, doesn't mean you should ignore the rules set by it.
    Agree totally!

gsk

Thank Post
    Both...
    No. It's not for profit, it's for a school, for kids to learn.

One of the schools I work at had the students put together a video promoting the school and would show it to parents as an introduction type thing. Someone brought up the copyright thing and so I was tasked with getting the copyright for the backing track. It was atrack that went really nicely with the video, the students could relate to it and it added a bit to the video that you can't really get with some generic copyright free music.

I set about it and found that you have to contact the label that holds the licence to it rather than the artist. Then I found out that the artist changed labels and some songs but not others had the copyright transferred to the new label. Once I had figured out which label held the copyright, I tried to get in touch with them. Any form of contact was a complete nightmare. In the end I found a number that went straight through to the label. Great. I spoke to someone who told me that their parent company Universal deals with licensing. They gave me a number but that person had left. So I contacted Universal Licencing directly and kept getting forwarded to their American office who said that it was the UK branch I needed to deal with. Then after 2 weeks of pestering I got through to someone who specifically deals with copyright for education in the UK. For video. He said he knew who could help with music and gave me their number. They said it wasn't their job but they'd look into it for me.

2 Weeks later I got an email reply saying that they would licence the track for internal use on DVD media for 2 years for a maximum audience of 250 (open evening) for 4,000. If we wanted the video on our website, we'd have to pay more. If we wanted to send DVDs home to parents, we'd have to pay more. If we wanted students to be able to see the video over the network, we'd have to pay more.................

Is it any wonder that so many people decide it just isn't worth it? There was no profit to be made by anyone and was just a showcase of student collaboration. 4,000.

Thank Post
    Theft is theft, irrespective of what you want to use it for or whether there is a profit to be made or not.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is how the people who make the videos or track make money. Royalties. And however it is bought or shown, they are due the money (rightly or wrongly).

I think really end of the day, thems the rules!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Theft is theft, irrespective of what you want to use it for or whether there is a profit to be made or not.
    copyright infringement is not theft!

(and Piracy is a war-like act committed by private parties (not affiliated with any government) that engage in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea.)

I think we should follow Russia's lead on this. Downloading music and films for home use is legal due to exception provided by section 1273 of Russian Federation Civil Code. A special 1% compensatory levy intended for copyright owners is collected from the price of certain goods (like computers or clean CD-RW disks).
    Last edited by somabc; 25th November 2010 at 11:49 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast