+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Stopping flash games. in Technical; Originally Posted by Gatt Originally Posted by timbo343 Originally Posted by Uraken "Isn't there a legal issue with deleting stuff ...
    Thank Post

Re: Stopping flash games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343
    Quote Originally Posted by Uraken
    "Isn't there a legal issue with deleting stuff of their own personal pen-drives?"

Absolutley not our network our rules.
    Someone who stands for no nonsense too !!! What ever is on our network is the administrators too.. For all we know they could have viruses or anything that could harm other peoples files or computers..
    This is the point I'm trying to make... if its on the kids pen drive then it is NOT on our network (its on their removable media not the school PC or Network shares)

What im not sure about is if we can legally delete data from pen drives that are not owned by the school.
    Until I can find out otherwise, our school assumes that its illegal to delete the data, therefore we takes steps to block pen drives and/or confiscate the drives.

If it turns out that we can legally delete data from their drives then our policy will change likewise.
    I've often wondered about this and I'm in the same boat as you on this one. Unless somebody tells me otherwise I assume my right to delete stuff from their USBs is the same as my right to delete MP3s off their players or numbers from their phones.

Stuff they store on the server is another matter...

Thank Post

I would assume there are implications with deleting stuff off users own personal pen-drives. Now, if you were to issue students with a pen-drive the school "owned" and you could block all other drives, that would be different.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

if you were to issue students with a pen-drive the school "owned" and you could block all other drives, that would be different.
    Good thinking, the USB drives could be populated with free applications, like the french government are planning. It would prevent file inconsistency problems when transferring work from home, allow kids to work in public libraries/internet cafes whilst narrowing the digital divide.

http://portableapps.com/news/2006-11...e_2.0_and_more

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can't remember anyone saying this already... There are flash games hidden as easter eggs in Flash 8 loaded directly from the web: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/flashegg2.swf

Thank Post

We currently have a really bad gaming problem, mainly because the staff aren't taking control of the class effectively. I'm adopting several methods to control it. I've a script scheduled to run throught the night which removes unwanted files (such as .exe and bat). Group policy prevents them from downloading games from the internet - this is a pain to maintain as the staff have to request sites to be unblocked which can get tiresome. I've also written some network management software that checks for and deletes unwanted software from workstation. This worked well until pen drives were allowed!

My new plan is to use group policy to only allow pre-defined applications (such as word, excel etc), I'm still trialling this but I can't see why it shouldn't work - although the upkeep of this will be high

Yorkshire Martyrs Catholic College, Bradford
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Inglebob

My new plan is to use group policy to only allow pre-defined applications (such as word, excel etc), I'm still trialling this but I can't see why it shouldn't work - although the upkeep of this will be high
    That sounds like a good idea.
    Let me know how this works out, i've been thinking about implementing something like this over the summer!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's not too hard to block all executables from shares, home areas and USB drives using Software Restriction Policies and USBDLM inglebob - I rpesume you're talking about attacking SRPs the other way around?

Thank Post

I'm experimenting with a string replacement program - BK ReplaceEm

I'm using it to search for the .swf string inside doc, xls, ppt files - inside the student folders. Its not replacing any of the files/strings it finds, just using it to create a log files which I can go through at my leisure.

You can run it from the command prompt too, so it can be scheduled overnight.

Thank Post

as soon as the pendrive is connected it becomes part of the network

Thank Post

For those people who wish to ban software (exe's etc) from running and use Active Directory look into Software Restriction Policy. Very easy to set up.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson
    For those people who wish to ban software (exe's etc) from running and use Active Directory look into Software Restriction Policy. Very easy to set up.
    But no use against flash games.

Thank Post

Unfortunately not.... we do it the crude way here, block game sites via websense and delete *.swf files as we find them or by a weekly purge.

Thank Post

kids here email the flash game files from home. :d

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    It's not too hard to block all executables from shares, home areas and USB drives using Software Restriction Policies and USBDLM inglebob - I rpesume you're talking about attacking SRPs the other way around?
    OooooO Nice! Like the look of USBDLM. How well does it work?

Thank Post

If I catch any student playing games, either in person or remotely, I take away their internet access for a couple of weeks. If they need it for lesson, the teacher has to ask for it to be reinstated for the lesson. The student soon gets the message. We make them sign up to the rules before they join and regularly refresh their memories. I also take sadistic pleasure with repeat offenders who continue to play games in lessons, whilst supposedly working by rebooting their pcs remotely. A Word file called doc 1 with a page's worth of work is red rag to a bull.

Stop MP3s and exes running by using Space Guard or similar software

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast