+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Print Monitoring and Limiting in Technical; Hi All. Looking for some opinions here. I have recently installed 3 new colour laser printers in our school to ...
    M0MST

Print Monitoring and Limiting

Hi All.

Looking for some opinions here. I have recently installed 3 new colour laser printers in our school to replace all of the old inkjets they were using. Anyways, they seem to like the "high" life now and find printing 30 pictures a day as full page fax prints as the norm, and causing us to run out of money already.

I currently use papercut free to "monitor" whos doing what, although it doesnt show amount of color use. I have seen the Papercut NG at 380, which seems a small amount, however if I could do it cheaper it would be excellent.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank Post
    I know you already mentioned papercut.

We use it here and its been great.

We also really like the print queue release utility (you get 1 free with papercut ng and can pay for more release queues if needed). It stops all printing to an A3 printer we have, holds it in a queue and is only printed once one of the technology teachers allows it.

Thank Post
    Papercut is great, also look into the alternatives, PrintManager etc, that should do what you want. Believe me, you very quickly recoup the cost of the software (we did within a few months!)

M0MST
    I hope we will do, we are only a small school, circa 60 Pc's and laptops. I will try and see if I can get the funding for it.

Dont know if there are any others out there, but papercut seems to be the most popular

M0MST
    Just on a quick note, any papercut NG users out there,

From what I gather there is software for the end users, however I cannot find it (somewhere to display the messages and charges)

Thanks

Thank Post
    another +1 for PaperCut
    Just got it installed and working here
    It can even monitor locally attached printers, give environmental impact reports (tree's, CO2, Bulb usage equivelant)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M0MST View Post
    Just on a quick note, any papercut NG users out there,

From what I gather there is software for the end users, however I cannot find it (somewhere to display the messages and charges)

Thanks
    It's installed to a folder in the Papercut Server install - Program Files\PaperCut NG\client

M0MST
    They missed a trick with no MSI there, Thanks for the heads up though.

Thank Post
    Yeah there is a papercut client - its normally found in one of the server folders... let me go find where

Edit - Its called pc-client.exe (for windows) - mine is in my papercut NG/client/win folder.
    Last edited by siuko; 5th November 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Thank Post
    We use the papercut client here. There lack of MSI isn't that big a deal - it runs on login directly from the papercut server (although caches its self locally). They're supposed to be giving us an MSI version at some point, but to be honest I'm not that fussed . What I'm more interested in is getting the features of the manager mode popup available off-the-glass on the embedded Papercut-MF installs .

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M0MST View Post
    I hope we will do, we are only a small school, circa 60 Pc's and laptops. I will try and see if I can get the funding for it.

Dont know if there are any others out there, but papercut seems to be the most popular
    I've got just under 50 machines, 150 pupils plus staff and Print Manager Plus is a godsend that paid for itself long ago. PaperCut will pay for itself, have no fear!

M0MST
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    We use the papercut client here. There lack of MSI isn't that big a deal - it runs on login directly from the papercut server (although caches its self locally). They're supposed to be giving us an MSI version at some point, but to be honest I'm not that fussed . What I'm more interested in is getting the features of the manager mode popup available off-the-glass on the embedded Papercut-MF installs .
    Ok, I have not seen any software been installed as of yet, Must admit the documentation could be better.

However next week whilst im having our wireless installed I should have time to sit back and have a read

M0MST
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I've got just under 50 machines, 150 pupils plus staff and Print Manager Plus is a godsend that paid for itself long ago. PaperCut will pay for itself, have no fear!
    Very Similar, 185 pupils, just as many staff and around 76 PC's (according to my sophos enterprise console), I have around 80 connected though.

Printer Manager Plus is something that was mentioned by one of my suppliers who are fitting our wireless next week, will check it out

Thank Post
    We use PCounter from Altman Technologies. It integrates with your AD and you can set limits on how much users can print in a set period of time (i.e. 100 sheets per month). You can set rules on printers to allow certain paper sizes/types etc and it can give detailed reports on what an individual has printed or what jobs have gone through a particular printer. We have it set so that colour prints go to a paused queue and members of staff have to authorize the jobs before they begin to print. So far has been a great saving for us.

Very powerful and well worth it!!

Thank Post
    Another one here with PCounter. Very good bit of software.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast