+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Oliver via Moodle in Technical; well just put Oliver in - recomended server RAM was about 6GB/8GB from memory ? I put in 12 GB ...

Thank Post
    well just put Oliver in - recomended server RAM was about 6GB/8GB from memory ?

I put in 12 GB to be sure - it works absolutely fine

- and everything on that server works at lightning speed now :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feizhou View Post
    Why do you think I would know anything about integration with Moodle IF they did not specifically claim that by moving to Jboss they have made it easy to integrate with VLEs? What I did not know about was integration of Active Directory. This I did not read about from their sites.

I don't care why they are using Jboss and SQL. In fact, I am rather irked by the fact that they chose to only support MS SQL when they could have easily tacked on support for Postgresql and made the whole thing available on Linux/UNIX instead of just Windows whatever Server. Then there is what appears to be their inability to make proper use of the tools that they have chosen. Just because they are using Java and SQL does not automatically mean it will scale.

I don't know about you but as far as I am concerned, using a lot of memory is a sign of incompetency and that especially shows when Oliver chews 1GB of RAM and yet cannot perform when it is just, ironic that you should mention 3 users, 3 users and not all are on at the same time too. The kids are not logging on and using OPAC yet and already the thing is a misfit. To add insult to injury, it is running on a box with 16GB of RAM, 12 cores in total and with 12 disks on SAS. You want to tell me that I am simply slagging off a product just because I think it uses too much memory? I have run/managed clusters of servers totalling just 60 boxes that handled over 200 million smtp transactions and 2-5 million deliveries daily. Most of these where just dual PIII boxes while a few where Xeons with a bit more RAM and 9 of these boxes were mysql servers for the clusters. I believe I know what I am talking about when I have had to make crap hardware perform because I ain't getting anything new/better.

You are highly mistaken about the part: Oliver used a lot less RAM but then worked poorly. It is: Oliver uses truckloads of RAM and still works poorly.
    You don't make any sense. It's like say my core switch has 1gb RAM and it handles 32gb/s of traffic 24/7. Oliver stores thounsands of books, with large number of cross-ref indexes, search terms and all that, which is going to use RAM because discs are slow. SMTP and POP is peanuts. I wouldn't be suprised to find your using the Express version of MSSQL and your using 1GB and 1 core.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Library databases shouldn't need that sort of system requirements, for years universities have run libraries for hundreds of thousands of records on much more modest resources. Oliver uses way more resources than it needs to.

This is free and looks like it's used in some large setups:
    Welcome to koha.org! — Koha - Open Source ILS - Integrated Library System

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our school library has about 3000 books if I recall correctly, we have 600 kids and about 50 staff on it too. One librarian, and a couple of machines which the kids use to search it.

I have Oliver on a 2 system setup as recommended. One server has 3GB RAM - this holds the database. The other has 4GB RAM and runs the front-end stuff. Neither gets anywhere near the memory available to them. ie. the database server is hitting around 1.8GB RAM in use on an average day. The front-end hits 2GB at most.

Considering the speed at which it returns search results etc... I'm quite happy with that memory use. Complaining about memory use for it is a bit pointless in my mind, considering that RAM is cheap and most people seem to base their views of what is 'good' on decade old ideas about memory usage and resource allocation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You don't make any sense. It's like say my core switch has 1gb RAM and it handles 32gb/s of traffic 24/7. Oliver stores thounsands of books, with large number of cross-ref indexes, search terms and all that, which is going to use RAM because discs are slow. SMTP and POP is peanuts. I wouldn't be suprised to find your using the Express version of MSSQL and your using 1GB and 1 core.
    Oliver stores squat. MSSQL stores the actual data but I don't see it chewing up 1GB of RAM. Yeah, so I am running the express version of MSSQL. I had 2GB and 2 Cores allocated to it initially. Now I have 4GB and 4 Cores allocated to it and it is behaving better. In other words, Oliver is crap. At one point it was chewing almost 1.5GB of RAM. So you want to tell me a dumb frontend to a sql database needs to use 1GB of RAM just right after startup?

PicPaste - oliver_chews_1GB_RAM-XPOV6rll.png

PicPaste - oliver_needs_4GB_RAM-aJFxykzL.png

Like CyberNerd has pointed out, other library systems are way more efficient that this excuse for a sql db frontend called Oliver

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itboss View Post
    well just put Oliver in - recomended server RAM was about 6GB/8GB from memory ?

I put in 12 GB to be sure - it works absolutely fine

- and everything on that server works at lightning speed now :-)
    If I had a choice, we would be using something that runs on UNIX, uses lesser hardware and still run circles around Oliver with the current setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Our school library has about 3000 books if I recall correctly, we have 600 kids and about 50 staff on it too. One librarian, and a couple of machines which the kids use to search it.

I have Oliver on a 2 system setup as recommended. One server has 3GB RAM - this holds the database. The other has 4GB RAM and runs the front-end stuff. Neither gets anywhere near the memory available to them. ie. the database server is hitting around 1.8GB RAM in use on an average day. The front-end hits 2GB at most.

Considering the speed at which it returns search results etc... I'm quite happy with that memory use. Complaining about memory use for it is a bit pointless in my mind, considering that RAM is cheap and most people seem to base their views of what is 'good' on decade old ideas about memory usage and resource allocation.
    /me rotfl. Of course they recommend that kind of setup because their design sucks. Oliver would not be able to run with anything less. No RAM, no work. Amazing that it seems to be the only one that demands that kind of resources just to run. 600 kids and 50 staff? We have just a wee bit more at 720 kids and 60 staff. Maybe you can make sense of this: "15232 Bibliographic Resources, 27844 Copies, 8189 Authors, 2423 Subjects, 1120 Publishers, 1713 Series" as to what is stored besides user data. Connecting to the MSSQL database to fix records via python on Linux and running big updates was pretty much instantaneous so any slowness has nothing to do with MSSQL or the hardware. It's that big slow frontend called Oliver that needs uber amounts of RAM. If you are willing to allocate a big box just to run the frontend, fine. I, for one, am not going to allocate anything more than the 4GB of RAM and 4 Cores that I have already done. I ain't asking the school to spend 8,000USD just to run one stupid instance of Oliver.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Thats pretty much what they said to me, and it was those rumors that lead us to upgrade to the latest version - only to find that it wasn't there and the AD "integration" requires CSV imports and is actually more of a pita than I could have possibly imagined.
    Hi CyberNerd,

I was poking around Oliver and found a whole bunch of parameters that seem to imply AD integration and even single sign on. Running version 4.2 here. Is that what you have too?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12