+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Toner inventory Database in Technical; I was just about to knock up a stock control MS Access database for our toner supplies.. But figured someone ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Toner inventory Database

I was just about to knock up a stock control MS Access database for our toner supplies.. But figured someone must have done this already...

Has anyone got one they would be willing to share please?
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 26th August 2010 at 06:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently working on something like that for my degree project, using PHP/MySQL. Will let you know once it's finished.

3. 6 Thanks to webman:

IWDave (20th February 2014), lionsl2005 (19th January 2011), mac_shinobi (26th August 2010), RabbieBurns (14th January 2011), talksr (9th March 2011), zag (18th October 2013)

Thank Post
    GLPI Helpdesk and inventory has one built in, put your toners into the Cartridges Inventory, and list your printers in the Printer Inventory, you then can say which toners are compatible with each printer then add and remove stock and, "install" cartridges into printers. its a really nice system, think ive made it sound more complicated than it actually is. GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    database is a bit overkill?
    We use a google docs spreadsheet/form.

Thank Post
    I just have a printed list in the office with amount of each in stock, and when I use a cartridge reduce the number by 1. When I get to 0 I know there aren't any left. Keep it simple =)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    database is a bit overkill?
    We use a google docs spreadsheet/form.
    Think it depends on the size of the business/school, on a small scale it is overkill in a school with lots of printers it makes sense.

ours is set up to email a warning when stock of any toner gets to 2, then a new order is put in place. very useful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have a spreadsheet just now but its becoming unmanageable. Have 2 campuses to look after too.

Will have a look at your suggestion tomorrow, cheers flakes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I started using GLPI since I needed to get a new asset management system anyway. If you go into all the details of it, handy for linking to suppliers and pricing to keep an extra track of things, but I'm only just starting with that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I'm currently working on something like that for my degree project, using PHP/MySQL. Will let you know once it's finished.
    I would be very interested to take a look at this when you have finished it, or even test it if you want feedback.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    I just have a printed list in the office with amount of each in stock, and when I use a cartridge reduce the number by 1. When I get to 0 I know there aren't any left. Keep it simple =)
    How do you keep track of individual printer costs, to know if a model is costing a huge amount more than others?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Let me know as well - would be good

Thank Post
    I have an in house solution that latches into our assets management which was also written by me in house, all PHP and SQL based. Anything on the assets database marked as a printer automatically appears in the toner management system, and then you can tell it what consumables each type of printer needs - you only have to do this once for each model.

Whenever you change a toner in a printer, get the asset number off the back, look it up on the list, click change toner - if it's a colour one there's an additional step to select which one, job done! It knocks one of the stock file and logs a toner change against that printer. It's dead handy for seeing how much toner a particular printer gets through.

On the front screen it alerts us to low stock scinarios, which it does by looking at the history of toner changes for that cartridge type, ad the number of printers requiring that cartridge and estimating how many we need in stock to cover us for the next 4 weeks - if there's less than 4 weeks worth in stock it alerts us. It's not 100% accurate yet, I'm still tweeking the algorithm for this. There's also a simple booking in system for when we get deliveries and a stock checking system as well.

Does the job for us!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post

ours is set up to email a warning when stock of any toner gets to 2, then a new order is put in place. very useful.
    Good Idea! I might write a script so our Google spreadsheet sends an email...

we do have 50 odd printers, but I didn't really notice it being difficult to manage. Would be interested in the php/mysql as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post

Good Idea! I might write a script so our Google spreadsheet sends an email....
    Thinking aloud, I could probably get the spreadsheet to automatically generate an order requisition, and email it to our finance team as soon as the toner stock gets low.
    Theres loads of info about these scripts here:
    Spreadsheet Services - Google Apps Script - Google Code

/enthusiasm

Thank Post
    I will share my PHP/MYSQL creation if anyone wants it, but it was never written for distribution and was developed in situ on the system it's currently running on, so there's a lot of references that point directly to parts of our system, very sloppy programming, but it works for us and I've never been bothered to go through and tidy the code up. Therefore it would be an absolute nightmare to get working on any other configuration.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast