+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Toner inventory Database in Technical; Hi guys! Exciting update about PrintMaster for you (particularly @ eclass ). Some new features that will help you install ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi guys! Exciting update about PrintMaster for you (particularly @eclass).

Some new features that will help you install consumables to printers quicker and easier:

• Select multiple consumables to install to a printer at one time
    • Search printer list on dashboard

Download Version 1.1.0.

Upgrade instructions: Replace existing installation with the contents from the zip file; but make sure you keep your inc/config.php and inc/init.php files. A CSS file has also been updated, so make sure you do a hard refresh in your browser to get it out of your cache.

Hope those changes help you out. Let me know if you have any issues

@fiza: Thanks! Glad you find it useful

2. 3 Thanks to webman:

fiza (5th August 2013), mdrabble (15th August 2013), RabbieBurns (4th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Hi guys! Exciting update about PrintMaster for you (particularly @eclass).

Some new features that will help you install consumables to printers quicker and easier:

• Select multiple consumables to install to a printer at one time
    • Search printer list on dashboard

Download Version 1.1.0.

Upgrade instructions: Replace existing installation with the contents from the zip file; but make sure you keep your inc/config.php and inc/init.php files. A CSS file has also been updated, so make sure you do a hard refresh in your browser to get it out of your cache.

Hope those changes help you out. Let me know if you have any issues

@fiza: Thanks! Glad you find it useful
    Excellent upgrade - Thank you.

Thank Post
    @webman - Have got it all set up exactly how I want. Works really well.
    One noob question - How can I put security on so that only certain users can gain access to the website? I have set the website/database up with XAMPP but haven't the foggiest on how to secure the website. I don't want students finding and fiddling with it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi fiza

There are a couple of options you can use. If you or someone you know is good with PHP development, you could implement something basic yourself using the fAuthorization class that's part of the bundled libraries.

Alternatively, you can use the Apache web server's built-in authentication methods - this seems to be a nice guide:
    how to use htpasswd to create protected directories XAMPP / apache

6. Thanks to webman from:

fiza (13th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi fiza

Alternatively, you can use the Apache web server's built-in authentication methods - this seems to be a nice guide:
    how to use htpasswd to create protected directories XAMPP / apache
    Fantastic - Thanks

Thank Post
    @webman - would it be possible to add in "purchase date" for the printers section? That way I have the serial numbers and when the printer was purchased.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would love to see a 'purchase cost' for the toner. We charge back each faculty the toner costs so have to produce a report each month to the finance manager of who had what, when and how much it costs.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Would love to see a 'purchase cost' for the toner. We charge back each faculty the toner costs so have to produce a report each month to the finance manager of who had what, when and how much it costs.

Pete
    Ditto - That would be awesome

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @webman - would it be possible to add in "purchase date" for the printers section? That way I have the serial numbers and when the printer was purchased.
    Hi. Yes! This would be quite an easy change to add. I will look at adding this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Ditto - That would be awesome
    An EduGeek member local to me has actually made a change to PrintMaster based around cost-per-toner for the way their school works, and they have kindly provided me with the copy of project with all the changed files. However, I have yet to go through the changes and integrate them into PrintMaster in such a way that it will be useful to many users. There are several things to consider.

Based on my own past experience, my main concern is the potential fluctuation in cost of consumables. For example, you take delivery of 2 toners in March at £36 each, and 2 more in September at £42 each. There needs to be a way of specifying which cost toners you use when installing to a printer. This also affects quantity.

Is it a case of just saying "This consumable will always cost a fixed amount of £X" and be done with it? Within this fixed cost you "absorb" or hide any differences you may encounter?

Then there is the reporting side. When you install a toner, you're simply recording which consumable went into which printer, and when (currently). When costs are involved, that's fine - because we just record the price at the time of installation. But then what do you do with that information? Send someone an email with the details? Or is it just a case of being able to look at a given printer, and view the consumable installation history, including costs, for a given time period?

The currency would also have to be configurable, as I know there are international users of this project now

Any feedback and suggestions on how best to tackle the cost feature, to make it useful to as many of you as possible, would be appreciated

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    An EduGeek member local to me has actually made a change to PrintMaster based around cost-per-toner for the way their school works, and they have kindly provided me with the copy of project with all the changed files. However, I have yet to go through the changes and integrate them into PrintMaster in such a way that it will be useful to many users. There are several things to consider.

Based on my own past experience, my main concern is the potential fluctuation in cost of consumables. For example, you take delivery of 2 toners in March at £36 each, and 2 more in September at £42 each. There needs to be a way of specifying which cost toners you use when installing to a printer. This also affects quantity.

Is it a case of just saying "This consumable will always cost a fixed amount of £X" and be done with it? Within this fixed cost you "absorb" or hide any differences you may encounter?

Then there is the reporting side. When you install a toner, you're simply recording which consumable went into which printer, and when (currently). When costs are involved, that's fine - because we just record the price at the time of installation. But then what do you do with that information? Send someone an email with the details? Or is it just a case of being able to look at a given printer, and view the consumable installation history, including costs, for a given time period?

The currency would also have to be configurable, as I know there are international users of this project now

Any feedback and suggestions on how best to tackle the cost feature, to make it useful to as many of you as possible, would be appreciated
    Agreed - its an issue which does affect us. We currently 'round up' prices for cartridges, and when new stock comes in, I usually price the older stuff as the new. The reason being it covers me when I have stock that is left on the shelf after a printer has decided to die - not ideal I know, but as I said, it covers my budget.

A junior tech did develop an in-house version of a similar thing here, but he's since moved on and we're discovering so many bugs in it now that I want to move on to something else; its a shame as it showed so much promise but he left before he could really finish it.

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Pete, that's good to know.

My current train of thought then, is:

• Each consumable will have a price attached to it, which you can change by just going to the Edit link for a consumable.
    • When you record a new delivery for a consumable, the price will be displayed, but you will have the opportunity to change it at this time.
    • When you install a consumable to a printer, its current price at that time will be stored with the "log" entry for that installation.

Right track?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Pete, that's good to know.

• Each consumable will have a price attached to it, which you can change by just going to the Edit link for a consumable.
    • When you record a new delivery for a consumable, the price will be displayed, but you will have the opportunity to change it at this time.
    • When you install a consumable to a printer, its current price at that time will be stored with the "log" entry for that installation.

Right track?
    Gets my vote!

Pete

Thank Post

Right track?
    That sounds spot on for us too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello again.

PrintMaster is now at version 1.2.0, which now includes the discussed cost feature.

Please read the upgrade instructions, paying attention to the step that involves running /upgrade.php - this is important, and makes the necessary database changes. You will also need to add the currency value mentioned to the inc/config.php file.

17. 4 Thanks to webman:

bossman (18th August 2013), fiza (19th August 2013), FragglePete (18th August 2013), Techie-v2 (15th November 2013)

Thank Post
    @webman Thank you Thank you Thank you......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast