+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Stop VMWare booting via network when creating a new VM in Technical; Afternoon, I am trying to add another virtual PC using WMWare Workstation 7.0. I have been running a virtual machine ...
    Thank Post

Stop VMWare booting via network when creating a new VM

Afternoon,

I am trying to add another virtual PC using WMWare Workstation 7.0. I have been running a virtual machine with XP on for some months now, which installed fine from installer disk.

I have now come to add another virtual machine using both the installer disc and from ISO and each time, once I have set up the virtual machine and it then reboots, it is trying to boot using PXE and searching for a DHCP response. I have not chosen it to do this and simply want it to install from disc as it did originally.

This occurs with all OS's, all discs are know good working discs as are the ISO images.

I have gone into the BIOS of the WM and set the boot options to CD Rom first and network boot last, however this has made no difference, I cannot find an option to disable/remove the option for network boot.

I have tried this both with the Vm's network card connected and disconnected and do have it set as a 'bridged' connection in order to replicate the physical network state.

I have uploaded a video to youtube to show what happens, this can be seen here -

YouTube - PXE Movie.avi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH9ZwRHt460

How can I stop this trying to boot from the network and just use the damm disc?

Cheers!
    Last edited by acrobson; 22nd August 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Editied to add links

Thank Post
    If you have the order set in the bios, thats correct and the VM is not finding your DVD/ISO and boot drive. If you edit the VM are the virtual CD drives used for the ISO actually 'connected' and 'connected at power on'?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    If you have the order set in the bios, thats correct and the VM is not finding your DVD/ISO and boot drive. If you edit the VM are the virtual CD drives used for the ISO actually 'connected' and 'connected at power on'?
    Thanks for the reply, the boot order is set for CD > HDD > Removable deice > LAN and both the optical driv and birdged NIC are conneted and set to 'connect at power on'.

The thing that frustrates me about this issue is that absolutely nothing has changed since I set up the orignal VM some time ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobson View Post
    Thanks for the reply, the boot order is set for CD > HDD > Removable deice > LAN and both the optical driv and birdged NIC are conneted and set to 'connect at power on'.

The thing that frustrates me about this issue is that absolutely nothing has changed since I set up the orignal VM some time ago.
    Are you using a passthrough devices or an iso?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Are you using a passthrough devices or an iso?
    I have tried various ISO's which are know good and working as well as having the actual bootable disc in the CD optical drive.

I have uploaded another video to you tube detailing the settings within the BIOS -

YouTube - VMWare PXE Boot - Wont boot from Disc.avi

I have also just pretended VM was a MS product and completely removed VM Workstation from PC as well as any registry entries and completely reinstalled. The problem is still there however!

Thanks,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread