+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, A New Departure For Us: Cloud Computing in Technical; I have been asked to look at Cloud Computing for our site, visit some schools that have already deployed a ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

A New Departure For Us: Cloud Computing

I have been asked to look at Cloud Computing for our site, visit some schools that have already deployed a Cloud Computing solution and to make recommendations to senior staff about how we should move forward.

To this end is anyone here willing to receive me as a visitor? Please PM me if it is OK for me to visit you and see your Cloud Computing solution.

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Hi Dave,
    Our Head of ICT is currently looking into this too, herre are the sites she has found - Live Mesh, JungleDisk, DropBox, Sugarsync, and Box.net.

Personally we are not sure about this as personal network storage and backup is barred through the filtering. It would mean students would have their work held off site using resources off site also perhaps using communication medium off site. We have no control or access to what is ocurring, no backups or resources in school... no need for us either?
    Perhaps this is the way forward, what do you think?
    Am I pessimistic?

Thank Post
    We are looking at implementing something like this:

eyeOS - Cloud Computing Operating System | Web Desktop - RIA Framework - Web Office - your files and applications everywhere

There's support for LDAP auth/users' home dirs too so looks good if you have a server chunky enough to pull it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I have been asked to look at Cloud Computing for our site
    Could you define "cloud computing" a bit more?

--
    David Hicks

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Could you define "cloud computing" a bit more?
    It early days for us on this. What I can say is that our Head has been hearing good things about computing in the cloud and would like us to take the best aspects from it.

So I guess the sort of thing he is thinking about is:

• Remote storage of student and staff work.
    • Open source applications for all users [wherever possible]
    • Thin clients in the classroom offering only a browser logon [Ubuntu/Mint/...?]

Other things I can list here will have to wait as I have just been called away...
    Last edited by DaveP; 1st July 2010 at 06:45 AM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I dont think dhicks was unware of cloud computing, but more along the lines of depending on who you talk to, the definition of cloud computing changes, and lots of things that are tagged as cloud computing is actually just virtulisation.

I am guessing that what he was after was the reasons behind looking at cloud computing rather than just do it because it's the buzz word. And as one of the reasons was to use Open source applications, my first question would be have you used Open Office and if so what was the response like?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Cloud computing is Internet-based computing
    But I've always thought of "cloud computing" as that used by Amazon's "elastic compute cloud" - a pool of physical servers upon which a bunch of virtual machines run, able to move between machines as needed and possibly mirrored, so if one physical server breaks another can seamlessly take over. Facilities to run your own such cloud are included with the latest release of Ubuntu Server - a compute cloud doesn't have to be away on the Internet somewhere.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We have a cloud based:

Storage, Office Apps, Email, Collaboration, calendar, websites etc.

Its all single sign on and integrated with moodle and AD.
    You don't need to visit us, just sign up for free here:

Business email, calendar, documents and intranet sites for your company - Google Apps for Business

Thank Post
    We've been looking at this and a huge stumbling block is that the data must be held within the EU and not stored outside the EU to comply with current EU privacy directives. This rather limits a lot of services, which has left us looking at the Microsoft live@edu service with the new Ofiice 2010 web apps, or building our own cloud using something like Ubuntu 10.04 server with its cloud components.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    We've been looking at this and a huge stumbling block is that the data must be held within the EU and not stored outside the EU to comply with current EU privacy directives. This rather limits a lot of services, which has left us looking at the Microsoft live@edu service with the new Ofiice 2010 web apps, or building our own cloud using something like Ubuntu 10.04 server with its cloud components.
    You could also look at the google services because they host within the EU and comply with UK data protection legislation (according to their website and contract)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You could also look at the google services because they host within the EU and comply with UK data protection legislation (according to their website and contract)
    Could you point me in the direction of where it states that as all I can find is this below, which basically measn it doesn't comply:

Is my organization compliant with the European Commission Directive on Data Protection if we use Google Apps?

Google adheres to the U.S. Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of Notice, Choice, Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity, Access and Enforcement, and is registered with the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor Program.

Generally, an organization must decide whether its use of Google Apps is compliant with any regulations it may be subject to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Remote storage of student and staff work.
    Remember that on something like Amazon's storage service you pay monthly for the amount stored and the amount transferred, so if people are constantly opening and closing files you pay a fair bit in bandwidth fees.

Open source applications for all users [wherever possible]
    Run from a thin client server "cloud" you mean? Or open source web-based applications? Or is your head's definition of "cloud computing" stretching somewhat?

Thin clients in the classroom offering only a browser logon [Ubuntu/Mint/...?]
    I'm trying Slax just now, booting over PXE, but could easily be booted locally from a small solid state drive. Bear in mind that old computer equipment is old computer equipment - our RM all-in-ones make great thin clients but don't seem up to running Firefox locally (loading YouTube crashes Firefox on Slax, could be Firefox, Slax or just the age of the machines).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cloud computing as in remote access (eg: terminal services) or as in web based submissions (eg: VLE)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Could you point me in the direction of where it states that as all I can find is this below, which basically measn it doesn't comply:
    I found this bit:
    Google Apps

17.1.1. Google shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations, regulatory requirements and codes of practice in connection with its data processing obligations under this Agreement, including without limitation by complying with all the provisions of the UK Data Protection Act 1998, and any regulations or instruments thereunder, and of Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Protection of Individuals with Regard to the Processing of Personal Data and on the Free Movement of Such Data (together, the "Data Protection Laws") applicable to a data controller and shall not do, or cause or permit to be done, anything which may cause or otherwise result in a breach by Customer of the same;

16. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

box_l (18th May 2011), teejay (1st July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast