+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, A New Departure For Us: Cloud Computing in Technical; One concern I would have about cloud computing and storing peoples work off site is that if your internet goes ...
    Thank Post
    One concern I would have about cloud computing and storing peoples work off site is that if your internet goes down, bang go all your files. The only way round this would be to ensure that you have a local replica on site as a failsafe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    One concern I would have about cloud computing and storing peoples work off site is that if your internet goes down, bang go all your files. The only way round this would be to ensure that you have a local replica on site as a failsafe.
    Ditto. And with our link to our council and hence Internet saturated at times anyway, we'd have problems throwing more data down our link! Interesting topic this, I always took cloud computing to mean out there on the web, but using Ubuntu and having it in house is something to think of for the future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Ditto. And with our link to our council and hence Internet saturated at times anyway, we'd have problems throwing more data down our link! Interesting topic this, I always took cloud computing to mean out there on the web, but using Ubuntu and having it in house is something to think of for the future.
    Definitely, the in house solution would seem a good way of going and then having a link into this for external access as you therefore have it all in house and safe and available no matter what happens to the outside worlds connection ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    google apps has an offline mode, you don't need an internet connection to write emails documents etc. unless you want to send them, of course.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    google apps has an offline mode, you don't need an internet connection to write emails documents etc. unless you want to send them, of course.
    Does that include a locally stored collection of all your online data as well, or is that just for creating new things?

Thank Post
    Does that include a locally stored collection of all your online data as well, or is that just for creating new things?
    Email, Calendar attachments are all stored locally and synced through Google gears, an OpenSource plugin. I just noticed that my docs are not synced though, they should be according to this:
    Google Docs in Offline Mode
    not sure whats going on there, other stuff is ok I was under the impression that all data can be downloaded locally.

Thank Post
    not sure whats going on there, other stuff is ok I was under the impression that all data can be downloaded locally.[/QUOTE]

As of May 3rd, 2010 we’ve temporarily removed support for offline access in Google Docs through Gears. We know offline access is important for some of you, and we're working hard to bring a new and improved offline access option to Google Docs.

If you need offline access to certain documents after May 3rd, you can always export files to your computer from the Google Docs homepage, then upload your offline files back to Google Docs after you’re finished editing offline.
    ​What happened on May 3rd?

On May 3rd, 2010 we disabled offline access to Google Docs, and it's no longer possible to access Google Docs while disconnected from the Internet.
    How will I know when offline access to Google Docs is available again?

We’re working hard to bring new and improved support for offline access to Google Docs. To make sure you don’t miss the announcement, keep an eye on the Google Apps Blog.

We've heard from some users that keeping Gears enabled for Docs (even though offline access is not available) can cause some unexpected behavior in Google Docs. So, just in case, here's how to disable Gears for Google Docs:

1. Click the Offline link in the upper-right corner of your Docs list.
    2. On the dialogue box that appears, click the Reset my offline access button.
    bloody google. mail and cals still ok though
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 1st July 2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info

Thank Post
    Although we have signed up for Google Apps for education it is mainly used for email. There are a few members of staff that use Google Docs but not many. Since last March there have only been 2 occasions where we have had major issues and both of these have been due to our internet connection being lost, once for a full day.

With email I have to confess that I cheat slightly as I have configured Outlook to communicate with Google Mail. That means that even when the internet does go down I still have access to all previous messages and can compose new ones in readiness for the connection being restored.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    not sure whats going on there, other stuff is ok I was under the impression that all data can be downloaded locally.

bloody google. mail and cals still ok though[/QUOTE]

In a nutshell - why using the cloud would worry me - you've just lost control of your data/functionality..

Thank Post
    Depends if your cloud is gmail (use offline mode, better than outlook), or a bunch of VMs on amazon E2C etc etc. If you don't have the source code you have no control

Thank Post
    This is all why maybe and in house solution that you allow access to the outside world using whatever secure method you choose to do that, that way the only problem if you lose internet connection to the school or something is that staff can't access their files from home, but all the stuff is still accessible in school.

Another option would be to have a dedicated server space in the "real world" that you can mirror your internal solution to thus if your internet does die, people have access to an external version of it to the latest update, obviously, something like that starts getting rather expensive as you need custom rack solutions not just off the shelf rack hosting, but it would provide a good backup and you would have the best control for it.

Thank Post
    something like that starts getting rather expensive as you need custom rack solutions not just off the shelf rack hosting
    You don't, neccesarily - if you have your all your servers in in the same VM as your cloud providor then you can move / duplicate VMs between local hardware and a remote cloud as you like. This is why I like Xen - same format as Amazon's cloud service.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You don't, neccesarily - if you have your all your servers in in the same VM as your cloud providor then you can move / duplicate VMs between local hardware and a remote cloud as you like. This is why I like Xen - same format as Amazon's cloud service.

--
    David Hicks
    Should of been clearer .. I meant if you wanted a full control of the source and functionality .. but yeah, you could do it that way too ..

Thank Post
    Should of been clearer .. I meant if you wanted a full control of the source and functionality
    Sorry, not quite with you - the source and functionality of what? You wouldn't have any say over what hardware your VM runs on in Amazon's cloud, but the whole point of virtual machines is that they run on large, generic servers and get assigned processor/RAM/disk resources as needed.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

DOS applications under Windows = Windows Applications under Cloud

DOS applications under Windows = Windows Applications under Cloud

In 1990s when Windows replaced DOS, some software vendors tweaked their DOS applications to sell their DOS application under Windows without true benefits of Windows GUI, multi-tasking, multi-threading and host of other underlying features etc..

Now 20 years on, in 2010s Windows suppliers will be trying to repeat the history and sell their Windows based applications with terminal services under browser without the true benefit of the Cloud and at the expense of performance, higher server costs, flexibility, dynamism, larger carbon foot-print and underlying host of features etc...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12