+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Showing from one machine on another. in Technical; AB tutor costs go down depending on the amount you buy and you don't have to buy that many to ...
    Thank Post
    AB tutor costs go down depending on the amount you buy and you don't have to buy that many to start seeing a discount.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    would you be using a directshow capture filter similar to the one as detailed in an above post for capturing/encoding what has happening on the desktop of the teacher workstation. sorry not familiar with how WME captures screen activity.
    Yes something like that, it encodes what is on the screen to a asx type stream and would fire that up to the server for rebroadcasting out to howver many clients were 'tuned' into it. The use of the server just makes for a consistant endpoint for any clients to point to. It is all in the windows media streaming format. If you have used the screen recording feature on the Mimio software then it uses the same technology just pointed at a file rather than a server.

You're still looking at needing an alright dual core pc to handle the encode and a second or two delay in the video stream but you'd probably need a hardware solution for real time mirroring. I think that the laptop may actually be one of the limiting factors here as something like a 2.4ghz signal rebroadcaster and one of the portable security cammera monitering portable tvs that can tune into them may be a simpler solution.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would go with something like one of the classroom management tools such as Abtutor, Lanschool, iTalc, etc. Although they do provide more tools then needed the teacher(s) may find uses for them else where and might like the flexability they get (for example if they were also set up in say a computer lab)

* From memory Lanschool has a mode where you (the student) can select what teaching unit (aka teachers computer) you want to listen to which is handy if they want to change classrooms and such.
    * Abtutor has a licensing scheme where you only pay for the teaching installs (and i believe if you talk to them they do have a USB setup for the teachers so they can move around) and a system where the more you buy it goes down as well. From memory they also have a feature where you can draw on the screen like in powerpoint (for example if they want to highlight something)
    * iTalc from memory is powered by VNC and has a controller made up so its easier for the teachers to use and is free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes something like that, it encodes what is on the screen to a asx type stream and would fire that up to the server for rebroadcasting out to howver many clients were 'tuned' into it. The use of the server just makes for a consistant endpoint for any clients to point to. It is all in the windows media streaming format. If you have used the screen recording feature on the Mimio software then it uses the same technology just pointed at a file rather than a server.

You're still looking at needing an alright dual core pc to handle the encode and a second or two delay in the video stream but you'd probably need a hardware solution for real time mirroring. I think that the laptop may actually be one of the limiting factors here as something like a 2.4ghz signal rebroadcaster and one of the portable security cammera monitering portable tvs that can tune into them may be a simpler solution.
    that sounds like the ideal solution. although i'm sure those little security camera monitoring tv's don't come cheap. when you say a 2.4ghz signal rebroadcaster, are you thinking a generic AV sender. so you'd have vga to s-video/composite from the presentation pc to a sender and then a receiver unit connected to the s-video on a the portable ?

inspite of the tv cost probably still cheaper than an arbitrary number of licenses for classroom mgmt software teacher licenses. just sounds like the OP wants a software solution....but as you say a small delay would be inevitable. and there's still a certain amount of complexity.

Thank Post
    Which would equate to something like two and a half grand for something which MAY do the job
    No the £199 is for the teacher machine but includes unlimited clients and the tutor control can work from USB memory stick so is highly flexible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    No the £199 is for the teacher machine but includes unlimited clients and the tutor control can work from USB memory stick so is highly flexible.
    i think the OP would need multiple teacher licenses, hence the K's in price. Well, atleast that's what i took it to mean, that the screen of an arbitrary number of teacher pc's would need to be displayed/broadcast.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    two and a half would by 20 teacher licenses (@ 125.00ea) based on their quote pages

Thank Post
    i think the OP would need multiple teacher licenses, hence the K's in price
    I might be off the mark here but would the teacher licence on the pupils laptop not fulfill the OP's requirement. The pupil can then look at any screen of any teacher for £199 as all the clients are free. From a security standpoint ABTutor is highly configurable in terms of what the pupil may do.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Here's an idea that is kind of different from the above but may work quite well. Install Windows Media Player Encoder on the teacher workstations and Windows Media Server Services on one of your servers. Set up a profile for the encoder that points the output stream at the server when an icon is clicked and put this on the teacher workstations. Setup the server to take an input stream from any of these clients ans rebroadcast it on a specific URL.
    Presumably "Windows Media Server Services" requires some kind of Windows server. I don't have many of these available. Has anyone actually done this, if so what happens in the case of multiple "senders"?

Lastly setup the laptop to point to this URL and load media player in full screen when the laptop is logged in.
    The obvious problems here are
    a) the user can exit media player or easily make it display a different media.
    b) AFAIK there is no way for media player to only go into full screen mode when something is being sent to it.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    this what you need ? - not tried it myself TightProjector: Broadcast Screen Over the Network
    I'll contact them. The obvious issue with it being UDP based is how it handles multiple senders.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    Presumably "Windows Media Server Services" requires some kind of Windows server. I don't have many of these available. Has anyone actually done this, if so what happens in the case of multiple "senders"?
    That I am not sure of but the teacher would have to run the program and it would quit when they logged off so that should kill it at the end of the lesson. As it is only one stream it should not be to much of a load on the server because it does not need to do any encoding just rebroadcast it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    The obvious problems here are
    a) the user can exit media player or easily make it display a different media.
    b) AFAIK there is no way for media player to only go into full screen mode when something is being sent to it.
    a) set it as the shell application for that logon with GPO (local or domain) so that it runs and when it is closed it logs out Managing a Custom Shell via Active Directory
    b) Control Windows Media Player Behaviour with Command Line Parameters » My Digital Life
    wmplayer “c:\filename.wmv” /fullscreen
    – Play the specified file in full-screen mode. The path and file name of the content to play must be specified.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    * From memory Lanschool has a mode where you (the student) can select what teaching unit (aka teachers computer) you want to listen to which is handy if they want to change classrooms and such.
    If the student could see well enough to operate such a system they might well not need it in the first place. Being able to just look at the board

Thank Post
    I might be off the mark here but would the teacher licence on the pupils laptop not fulfill the OP's requirement. The pupil can then look at any screen of any teacher for £199 as all the clients are free. From a security standpoint ABTutor is highly configurable in terms of what the pupil may do.
    again, just a guess. but i'm assuming there's more than one teacher machine where the screen is to be broadcast. hence the multiple senders.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    that sounds like the ideal solution. although i'm sure those little security camera monitoring tv's don't come cheap. when you say a 2.4ghz signal rebroadcaster, are you thinking a generic AV sender. so you'd have vga to s-video/composite from the presentation pc to a sender and then a receiver unit connected to the s-video on a the portable ?
    2.4G is no good for the following reasons.
    a) It is likely mutually interfere with WAPs and other units.
    b) Not only will RF propergate some considerable distance within a building it's also possible for the strongest signal in parts of room A to be from room B. (Especially when the transmitter in room A is switched off.)

inspite of the tv cost probably still cheaper than an arbitrary number of licenses for classroom mgmt software teacher licenses. just sounds like the OP wants a software solution....but as you say a small delay would be inevitable. and there's still a certain amount of complexity.
    I don't especially care if it's hardware or software.
    Cost is a factor, including people's time. Installing software on individual machines tends to be quite time consuming, especially when these machines are laptops issued to teachers.
    By comparison connecting a box to a projector is easy. Just need some which use a wavelength which won't pass through plasterboard, wood, concrete and glass. 940nm fits the requirement rather better than 125mm

mpe

Thank Post
    Unlimited "clients" is of no use here. It's always going to be a definite small integer

The memory stick comment implies that the sending software need not be installed on a machine. However such devices are far too easily lost, mislayed, broken, stolen, etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast