+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Controlled Assessment : How we did it in Technical; What a idiotic idea this controlled assessment is! Talk about moving the donkey work onto ICT staff! We simply use ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What a idiotic idea this controlled assessment is! Talk about moving the donkey work onto ICT staff!

We simply use the same normal accounts but disable their my documents and internet for the session.

They save their work in a shared folder which I move when the session is complete.

Seems to work but not idea solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    @kili: Figured thats what happens, i do think using group permisisons would be quicker/easier though (instead of setting file permission all the time)

@Tunster: Ref access to internet, yeah tell me about it. I've flagged this but they're just ignoring it. Havent yet found a way to block uploads and downloads. With accounts though, are you suggesting a different account for each subject/policy(some subject want certain restrictions sometimes but not others so have more then 1 policy)?

Apeo I only set the permissions once at the start of the year and then forget it. All permissions are assigned using calcs via a batch file which is scheduled to run at certain times of the day.

So no work involved set and forget

I'm for an easy life

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    What a idiotic idea this controlled assessment is! Talk about moving the donkey work onto ICT staff!

We simply use the same normal accounts but disable their my documents and internet for the session.

They save their work in a shared folder which I move when the session is complete.

Seems to work but not idea solution.

You need to automate the process creating batch files which use

1. Calcs
    cacls "07STUDENTFOLDERNAME\CCEA Control" /e /d 07STUDENTNAME
    2. dsquery group
    dsquery group "OU=School Administration,OU=Administration,dc=YOURDOMAIN,dc= YOURDOMAIN,dc=local" -name "Deny Internet Access" | dsmod group -addmbr "cn=test,ou=2006,ou=Students,ou=Users,ou=Schoo l Resources,dc=YOUR DC ,dc=YOURDOMAIN,dc=local"
    Also dsquery group with the -rmmbr ( As opposed to the -addmbr above)

Obviously your ou paths will have a different structure

Kili

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kili View Post
    Apeo I only set the permissions once at the start of the year and then forget it. All permissions are assigned using calcs via a batch file which is scheduled to run at certain times of the day.

So no work involved set and forget

I'm for an easy life
    Yeah i get that, what i meant was the script will be assigning permission on each folder/subfolder/file which will be variable. Instead the script could just add and remove members into a security group, which is probably slightly less processing and potential for error. Is just another way of doing the same thing.

Thank Post
    Yes but it still requires two accounts per student which just creates additional work. Access to a controlled exam folder placed in the users existing home folder makes much more sense and there's no need for additional accounts for each student
    Indeed it does. But for us this is working the best. And it doesn't take 2mins to make a group of another user accounts from a CSV file.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxcidius View Post
    We use something very similar to Alan-d. All of our students have their own laptops with their own screen readers etc. so we must let them use their own laptops.
    We have a mandatory profile called exam which every student uses and logs in with.
    Everything is locked down on it including internet, applications except Notepad, Wordpad and Word (we kill spelling & Grammar on this app) and the screen readers and access to any drives except the use of pen drives.
    The pen drives themsleves are heavily guarded by our exam officers and wiped every time they are used.
    We change the desktop wallpaper so they know they are in exams.
    We use a .vbs script to add the app links to the desktop so that we can lock down as much as possible in the start menu etc.
    So far, this has worked exceedingly well as the exam officers have their own laptop hooked up to a printer in the exam room and when the student is finished they hand over the pen drive, exam officer prints it out and after confirming all is there, lets the student go.
    This way from our point of view we only have to worry about one AD account and we are not tied to any scheduling. in fact I think for the last set of exams I didn't have to lift a finger....cool!!
    This is the way we plan on doing it, takes all the worry out of it. The only concern then is the collation of the data as it is stored on memory sticks. All this creation of new accounts and folders for storage seems over the top but hats off to those that have the time for this.

Thank Post
    We use something very similar to Alan-d.
    We have now changed the way we do things See APEO posts. Basically our only involvment is to create duplicate accounts using their exam number as a login and set up an OU with the correct GPO to control access to the various options. The teaching staff do the rest by selecting the students names, start and finish times and tell the students to use the exam login. The staff have read only access to the folders.

The initial setup may take a bit of effort, apeo can testify to that but the end result means that the staff can pick and choose to enable and disable the controlled assessment accounts as they wish without waiting for us to do it for them. Especially helpful if they have a student that was out of school during the assessment and needs to catch up.

Thank Post
    Yeah i get that, what i meant was the script will be assigning permission on each folder/subfolder/file which will be variable. Instead the script could just add and remove members into a security group, which is probably slightly less processing and potential for error. Is just another way of doing the same thing.
    No it's not the same, using a security group will not work. I don't want to assign group access to an individuals folder hence the reason for assigning permissions to the individuals folder and not a group.

Thank Post
    No it's not the same, using a security group will not work. I don't want to assign group access to an individuals folder hence the reason for assigning permissions to the individuals folder and not a group.
    I was more thinking along the lines of assigning the group permissions with deny permission i.e. if you setup 2 security groups and both only has deny permissions so depending on which one you belong to you're denied access to the folder the group is on. The groups dont grant access, it just means that if you're a member you dont have access.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrust View Post

To control this easily and with minimal administrative input, we have a forms-based automation application called UMRA (from Identity und Access management Lsungen, User Management, Password Management, SSO, RBAC, audit, compliance, licenced per-user account in AD) and I wrote a simple application in that that allowed a nominated user - such as the exams officer, or invigilator -to add the students to the exam group, and take them out again afterwards, but you could do it just as easily yourself with AD Users and Computers.

you can knock something up do this in c# / asp.net quite easily

Thank Post
    I was more thinking along the lines of assigning the group permissions with deny permission i.e. if you setup 2 security groups and both only has deny permissions so depending on which one you belong to you're denied access to the folder the group is on. The groups dont grant access, it just means that if you're a member you dont have access.
    Yes that may work for groups. Where not assigning access to groups but individuals.

Thank Post
    Yes that may work for groups. Where not assigning access to groups but individuals.
    Yes you keep the user (individual) permissions the same but you add and remove said user to appropriate security group to deny permissios to appropriate folders/files.

Thank Post
    Yes you keep the user (individual) permissions the same but you add and remove said user to appropriate security group to deny permissios to appropriate folders/files.
    What your implying is that all users of a security group have access to a common group folder which is not the case for our setup. All users have a folder within their home folder so permissions are set on a single folder, there are no additional security groups needed or required as the destination is their home folder not the creation of additional folders and security groups.

Go read my original post

Thank Post
    Nope not implying that at all. I'll pm you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the code which may or may not be pure genius as I'm not a coder I couldn't say.
    However as I understand it this requires the creation of another account per student distinct from their existing user account , is that the case?
    re-reading the thread I realise I made it sound more complicated that it is.
    For the record it requires only ONE active directory account to function.
    Last edited by browolf; 3rd December 2010 at 11:40 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast