+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Rolling replacement of projectors - just dont know where to start... in Technical; We have 21 classroom projectors in dire need of replacement. They are 4+ years old and pretty poorly maintained. Seeing ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Rolling replacement of projectors - just dont know where to start...

We have 21 classroom projectors in dire need of replacement. They are 4+ years old and pretty poorly maintained.

Seeing my definate budget today, there is no way on earth i can replace all 21 at once....even with a buy now pay over 3 years type thing.

But i really dont want to buy anymore bulbs for them. Especially as a lot of them come with bulb warrantys now.

But because they are all in such a bad state (some worse then others) i dont know where to start, but something needs to happen...

Any opinions or recommendations?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    I would prioritise which ones need replacing first. And when they are make sure they are correctly maintained, filters [ if they have them ] are cleaned and the bulbs put in Eco mode and they are powered off at the end of the day.
    You may have to explain to the staff why you have just replaced those [ budget restraints etc ] and at least then you have some of the older ones you can keep as spares until you get your next lot of money in.
    I know it's hard but if you are nice to the teachers and keep them in the loop as to what's going on with your plan on projector replacement they will hopefully understand.......
    Not a great method I know but a way to slowly replace the projectors say over a year or so.
    It's either that or beg, steal, and borrow money from elsewhere - can't you get the money out of capital if it's over a certain amount ?

3. Thanks to mattx from:

Little-Miss (8th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well i was thinking about approaching our PTA about it. They've just paid for our AV install in the hall....

Capital - possibly...

Thank Post
    Perhaps look at the worst in each subject area - to ensure no department feels left out.

Or ask subject areas to match the funding - go 50/50 on the replacement costs (assuming subject areas get money).

6. Thanks to steve from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Perhaps look at the worst in each subject area - to ensure no department feels left out.

Or ask subject areas to match the funding - go 50/50 on the replacement costs (assuming subject areas get money).
    We do this as well, that way they feel they get best value and feel appreciated (even if it does suck up some of their budget)

8. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    poop, should mention i'm Primary! sorry guys..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,861 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My method of doing it is to replace the ones which are not functional (ie. ones with terrible image quality etc...). I also replace any that get through more than 1 bulb in a year, and work back from there. Make sure you take a look at the Casio projectors, due to their longer life, lower maintenance cost etc... We will be using them from now on!

I don't go by age with projectors, as some of our oldest models are the best performing ones in the school. Its the younger ones that seem to be the worst!
    Last edited by localzuk; 8th June 2010 at 08:25 PM.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    We have 21 classroom projectors in dire need of replacement.
    You'll simply have to replace as many as you can afford, prioratising by need / likelyhood of failure. One option might be to sell the old projectors on eBay - they might not do for front-of-class any more, but you might be able to get 50 - 100 each for them for someone's home cinema. Be very sure to explain they are somewhat secondhand and will have a limited lifespan, obviously.

--
    David Hicks

13. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My method of doing it is to replace the ones which are not functional (ie. ones with terrible image quality etc...). I also replace any that get through more than 1 bulb in a year, and work back from there. Make sure you take a look at the Casio projectors, due to their longer life, lower maintenance cost etc... We will be using them from now on!

I don't go by age with projectors, as some of our oldest models are the best performing ones in the school. Its the younger ones that seem to be the worst!
    I agree with this and also I try to get the new projectors spread out across the school so that one year group doesn't feel left out. As was said, if you replace working ones (after the non-working or worst ones) at least you will have them as spares to use when bulbs go - until you can afford to replace them all.
    We have NECs in the primary- I went for these because in my other school they have never gone wrong or the bulbs blown, even though some have filters I can't get to and have therefore never been cleaned!
    If you prepare a document showing the likely cost of new projectors versus the old ones with bulbs etc, the SLT may see that there is a problem. Anyway, the cost of a new bulb is probably not that far off the cost of a new projector!

15. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, so i basically need to go around and do an audit and find the really appaling ones and work from there. cool...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Work out how many you need, then get some quotes (see if they do discounts for bulk purchases over a certain number), work out how many you can afford then go to the PTA explain that you can afford to replace X but really should be replacing all (Y) of the projects... (explain benefits to kids etc etc)

18. Thanks to p858snake from:

Little-Miss (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Don't forget about the mounts. Are they universal? Will they need replacing aswell?

20. Thanks to sippo from:

Little-Miss (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Don't forget not just wether the mounts will fit the new projectors but wether they are in the correct place due to the throw of the replacement projectors, you may need an av firm to move them etc...

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Eugh, our projectors were fitted so badly last time they're at all sort of angles...so all of the above has been taken into account

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,861 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Eugh, our projectors were fitted so badly last time they're at all sort of angles...so all of the above has been taken into account
    Another reason I like the Casio models - so long as you can get a bracket to stick em on the end of the existing pole, they have a huge throw range so can use existing poles most of the time. Saved us about 200 in one of our rooms.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast