+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Resetting HP toner levels in Technical; The HP laser in the office will ask you to replace toner cartridges based on throughput, not on toner level. ...

Thank Post

Resetting HP toner levels

The HP laser in the office will ask you to replace toner cartridges based on throughput, not on toner level. Is there any way to reset the counter on the toner cartridge so that the printer thinks it's full?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Some details on the model would help?

Ben

Thank Post
    Hiyah ... Normally the toner level is dictated by a little chip which is part of the printer cartridge ... its that that gets counted down to zero and tells you that the cartridge is empty ... more often than not as you say there is toner left in the cartridge .... you can purchase a new chip and replace the old chip and the cartridge will show as full although its not !! I use the same part used chip when the next cartridge shows empty. Its a bit fiddly but easy when you get used to it ...You can get resettable chips for certain printers .... I buy new chips for my HP4005's and get extra mileage out of the cartridges

4. Thanks to Brpilot99 from:

fafster (27th May 2010)

Thank Post
    It's a CP3505n printer, uses the same toner cartridges as the 3800. (CMYK - Q7581A, Q7582A, Q7583A, Q6470A)

Where would I get these chips from?

Thank Post
    Some printers have override in them. For instance, the P3005 and 5550 both have "diagnostic" menus where you can "disable cartridge check" and therefore the printer ignores any chip based info from the cartridge and prints from it until you replace.

Likewise, the 2600n series have an "override" option which is slightly different to the above but does the same thing. I'd frst check the printer menus first to see if you can force the printer to ignore chip info before spending time and mone on a new chip.

Not sure about your model though i'd say look very closely as HP have a habit of hiding these menus deep so that you don't find out about them!

7. Thanks to dgsmith from:

fafster (27th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Right, just enabled diagnostic mode. Unfortunately once you disable cartridge check you can't come out of diagnostic mode, otherwise it resets.

Thank Post
    Really? I have disable cart check running right now on our 5550 and we can just press the "stop" button to come out of it; it may take a while to sort itself out but it goes back to the state it was before cart check was enabled. Same with our P3005n, although you don't need to go into diag mode to disable cart check for that.

I suppose anything is better than faffing (no pun intended ) around with changing chips etc.

Thank Post
    We've got 3 of those printers and they will still print when it thinks the toner is empty. All you need to do is enable the printer override setting which will give 500+ extra prints.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    We've got 3 of those printers and they will still print when it thinks the toner is empty. All you need to do is enable the printer override setting which will give 500+ extra prints.
    You can increase the number above 500 too so that you can get as much out of the cartridge as you need to. I think I increased mine to about 2000 although a couple have reached this limit, the colour cartridges tend to need to be replaced before then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread