Poll: Workstation or Laptop

+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, SIMS electronic registration - Laptop or Workstation? in Technical; I just want something i can show to my LM and Head when it comes to deciding where this should ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SIMS electronic registration - Laptop or Workstation?

I just want something i can show to my LM and Head when it comes to deciding where this should be installed for Staff in the Classrooms.

I want it on the workstations personally, less hassle. Even just to begin with. But from your experience which do you recommened?

A reason why would be nice too?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've read around here people going for the latter (Workstations), just from the point of view that:
    * Teacher's can't forget to bring them in
    * "Always" there (eg: teachers can't walk off with them if someone else is taking a class)
    * Standardization of all the machines (For example, compared to say laptops on a workgroup compared to a domain (topic for another thread really))
    * Ease of use for other things (For example if you bring projectors into the mix)

3. Thanks to p858snake from:

Little-Miss (26th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I've read around here people going for the latter (Workstations), just from the point of view that:
    * Teacher's can't forget to bring them in
    * "Always" there (eg: teachers can't walk off with them if someone else is taking a class)
    * Standardization of all the machines (For example, compared to say laptops on a workgroup compared to a domain (topic for another thread really))
    * Ease of use for other things (For example if you bring projectors into the mix)
    What he said!
    Definitely good for connections to whiteboard and projector - no more complaints about can't get whiteboard connection coz they've taken out the cable. You need to lock the cables though else they will be detaching them to 'show something that is on my laptop'
    Works best with domain log ons/offline syncing for all - then they can access their docs from any machine.
    Only problem I can see is that they will continually disconnect the network cable of the pc to attach to their laptop - or else they will forget and files wont synchronise and then their work WONT be on the network

5. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    We have a dedicated terminal server and a thinstation box in each classroom. For the purposes of your poll that'll count as "workstation".

But we don't care how they register, so long as they get it done.

7. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    Same reasons as the others for us. We did have a scenario where we used laptops up until about 12 months ago. We've now gone down the workstation route and we're having so few problems in comparison.

The main issue though, which I don't think has been mentioned, is that we don't have any problems with Sims.net being able to find the shared drive it requires. With the laptops option, when a user unplugs their network cable to go to another room when they plug back in, the correct drive wouldn't become available until the user manually accessed the drive prior to opening up sims.net (unless of course you have full site coverage of wireless then this wouldn't ever be a problem).

9. Thanks to Iain.Faulkner from:

Thank Post
    We are using workstation since three years and it is working perfect with no hassle. Each class room have dedicated workstation connected with network. System have VGA splitters for two output one go to monitor and one go to projector. If they don't want to use projector just turn it off. They can access SIMS for registration and access their home folders and departmental shares around the school.

11. Thanks to ICT_Pro from:

Thank Post
    The Lesson Monitor / dot Net parts can work from an UNC path, it's just the mankier bits that can't cope without a mapped drive.

13. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    The decision to use laptops for registration at my school was made before I joined, however I have been supporting it for almost 7 years. All teaching staff were issued with laptops & we have had a rolling program of replacements since.

The issues are much the same as with any other staff laptop situation. At the beginning all laptops used network cables to connect to the network, and as you might imagine we got plenty of problems with calls saying SIMS.net wasn't working, mostly because the staff didn't associate the 'internet' cable was needed for SIMS too.

In the last three years we have implemented a site-wide managed wireless network as a result of which network connectivity for SIMS.net is no longer a problem.

We did have a couple of rooms where desktop PCs were installed for staff to use instead, we probably spent more time sorting out the cables on these (after the rooms have been used by staff with laptops) than we currently do sorting out laptop related SIMS.net problems

15. Thanks to broc from:

Thank Post
    Do your teachers only ever use the same classroom? Do they register their tutor group in a different room from where they teach?

We had issues with the above as teachers would set up for their first lesson in a morning on their laptop in their teaching room and then go to their tutor room, log that user off before logging on themselves to access SIMS. They'd then return to their teaching room to discover someone had returned the favour. (There were a multitude of reasons from the teachers as to why they couldn't carry their laptops around site first thing in a morning to wherever required - some I agree were valid, others were pure laziness or "not my job syndrome").

Teachers also complained that they had to set up their laptops in a morning and lock them away securely at night. This seemed massively ironic as most of these same teachers complained that they wanted a laptop so that they could do work at home yet once they received said laptop it either never left the school premises or they thought it was purely for use at home (including partner running business, teenage son playing games, etc).

We are therefore now in the final stages of reverting to how it used to be - a workstation in the classroom. The difference is that it is only for those who don't take their laptop home and if they want a workstation then they can't have a laptop as well. There isn't enough money for both and I want to ensure that those who do want a laptop to use at home have the newest (therefore fastest & lightest) model I can provide them with.

17. Thanks to 36Degrees from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do electronic registration at one school with laptops which does for the most part work well (primary school, two attendance checks/day). The reason it works is that there is very solid managment buyin and the teachers are expected to have their laptops with them every single day and/or have the sense to logon to one of the classroom workstations if nessisary.

So in the event that your SMT is willing to push the "you will have your laptop here everyday" and the "you will learn how to plug your laptop in" requirements then laptops can be a good way to go. If not as in another of the schools I deal with then workstations are the only sensible answer.

Workstations also save on the my computer can't get on the internet......... Because its network lead was removed for the laptop. Type issues that always seem to crop up especially after two week term holidays which seem to consist of two solid weeks of mind wipeing to clean out any training they may have accidentally absorbed over the course of the term (not all staff only a 'select' few)

19. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use desktops becuase of the reasons people have said.

If you was going to use Laptops what i would personally do i buy ones with docking stations. Set the Docking station to the projector, board etc and then teachers only have to dock and undock. Saves them messing arround with cables.

21. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Desktops is by far the easiest way imho, I just find laptops are a pain the in the backside and are alot more expensive to purchase a lesser spec machine in the first place.

Thank Post
    My own personal opinion would be the workstation route. Our staff all have laptops, but as a lot of staff don't 'own' a room and may teach in a number of bases across a day it was felt packing, unpacking, packing, unpacking the laptops a) wasn;t the best use of teacher time and b) more chance of damage with the staff carrying them all over school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread