+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Trend Officescan Vs Sophos in Technical; Hi Our Sophos licensing is due for renewal soon and we are looking at the options if we move (after ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trend Officescan Vs Sophos

Hi
    Our Sophos licensing is due for renewal soon and we are looking at the options if we move (after the damnation that is version 5)
    Trend is a favourite right now as it appears to only use about 20mb of ram.
    I was wondering if anyone else had made this move before and if so what issues/differences did they see including problems/limitations.
    Just got the trial version but it seems quite good so far.

Cheers

P.S. Does trend have the lovely licensing of Sophos which allows staff to get a copy too?

Thank Post

Re: Trend Officescan Vs Sophos

we use NOD32 here, and the support is excellent.

Thank Post

Used to use trend. when you install trend it searches for any old av you may have and removes it for you. This does this on the client machines as well.

The only issue i had with trend was the cost. I moved away from them this year and now use Grisoft Network edition with malware. 2 year licence at a qtr of the cost of trend

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    P.S. Does trend have the lovely licensing of Sophos which allows staff to get a copy too?
    Do they? Didn't know about this tell me more?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by everton4europe
    Used to use trend. when you install trend it searches for any old av you may have and removes it for you. This does this on the client machines as well.

The only issue i had with trend was the cost. I moved away from them this year and now use Grisoft Network edition with malware. 2 year licence at a qtr of the cost of trend
    Ahh thats AVG, dont really trust them since there free version is such a illusion of a working av

I will look up the exact details of sophos terms but yeh they say staff can get a copy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Rete i've been here before, and i'm afraid to say you will end up with Sophos again I suspect, or some other product.

My pricing for 3 years of Trend was about 3x the cost of Sophos! I think we paid about 8K for 3 years Anti Virus, Anti-Spam and email Anti-Virus (So thats Sophos client and Puremessage Anti-v & Anti-s) for 300 machines. Thats all inc of staff licences, 24x7 support, updates etc etc.

Now for Trend, I hope you are sitting down for this on a very sturdey seat! Trend does not include any major version updates as part of the standard pricing, thats extra unlike Sophos, nor does it include any real support, its all on top of the machine price. For the equivalent deal as above we were looking around 35-40K and that was with basic 9-5 support where as Sophos its 24x7, and to take Trend to that was just so ludicrous I didn't believe my eyes!

I loved the program and could cry for the fact that we don't use it but to say they want to make in-roads into schools and win business from Sophos they really really don't know how to try, they said they were being generous as well but they were far far from it!

Oh yeah and they wouldn't throw in teacher usage free, they would subsidise PC-Cillin there home user product for a set number, but they did say that would only be for sort of "semi-free gift" for us if we signed up for the works for 3 years minimum.

Needless to say we didn't go for it and are stuck with Sophos which I hate still. Its behaving but then god knows what it will do with the new updates to 6.5.

LEAs seem to get good pricing on both Trend and Sophos so I have seen so if your LEA has an LEA deal then you could be onto a winner but if your going it alone, you either have an amazing budget to be able to justify it, you have a much better partner sorting your deal out (you cannot buy direct from Trend as you can with Sophos, even as a school or business! its via resellers / partners only), or you haven't got anything better to spend money on.

Sorry to seem so negative in that last bit but it really did piss me off there lack of help from Trend I was working my backside off to get them a deal and for us to sign up but they were not for it at all.

Thank Post

When i used trend i found they used to give quite good discount rates. but it still worked out at about £13 per pc for the sme. But the move up to the enterprise edition was freightening. I found it cheaper not to go through my lea.

But if you go to a trend reseller and let slip what price sophos are offering they will drop the price to get the sale.

Download the trial of Grisoft network edition. It does work well, it did take alot of convincing to move from trend, after trialing it i liked it. Not as user friendly as trend.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

When i used trend i found they used to give quite good discount rates. but it still worked out at about £13 per pc for the sme. But the move up to the enterprise edition was freightening.
    Yeah, thats the product we were looking at as we needed it for the size of system and features it has over the basic one.

But if you go to a trend reseller and let slip what price sophos are offering they will drop the price to get the sale.
    Well they didn't last year I even emailed them the quote from Sophos, it went to the reseller and the bloke at Trend that was working with them so they could see it and see what was included etc in full and the quote then grew from Trend as they realised they were missing some bits that Sophos were including!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts

I'm just pricing up AV renewals as I need to include it in this years budget.

250 user licence of Sophos is £2250.00 and Nod32 is £2502.00 and that's with a 50% discount on Nod32.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    I'm just pricing up AV renewals as I need to include it in this years budget.

250 user licence of Sophos is £2250.00 and Nod32 is £2502.00 and that's with a 50% discount on Nod32.

Ben
    Does that allow staff to use it?
    Sounding nice

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread