+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Thinking of an overhaul of the way things work... in Technical; I'm after completely redoing the way we respond to issues in the office, at the moment there are some major ...
    Thank Post

Thinking of an overhaul of the way things work...

I'm after completely redoing the way we respond to issues in the office, at the moment there are some major flaws in the way everything happens in our office, nothing is logged and jobs get missed off or forgotten on occasion during busy times, and as everyone has there own way of doing things (sometimes swaying away from the standard way of working) i want to implement something to control this...

We are using spiceworks helpdesk but don't like it and it is rarely used, most jobs come to the door or over the phone so the first step is to rework that into going through a more accessible helpdesk.

What steps have you all gone through in order to cut down phone calls and students turning up at the door? I'm after information on everything from getting support from SMT right down to getting the kids knowing exactly what to do if they have a technical issue, ideas of software i can implement etc

I really don't know where to start with this, and right now im feeling quite hyped up on caffeine my minds going a mile a minute trying to think of stuff

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few different things you can try.

1 - No matter where the jobs come in from, or the size of the job, log it onto your support desk software and make sure it can email out updates and closures. Even if you have a password change then the students and staff should be used to getting a followup email saying the password has been changed. If you have ongoing tickets then try to use the support desk software to keep a track of all communication.

2 - Make sure you have a knowledgebase within your support desk system. Not only will it help people to associate the site with logging issues but they will also use it as a first port of call for fault finding.

3 - Training videos. If you can also have short training videos and tutorials on there it is yet another reason to go there.

3. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

mrbios (19th May 2010)

Thank Post
    1. i need helpdesk software then where by i can enter a ticket for someone else yes? So if teacher smith sends little billy down to change his password rather than logging it, i then need to create a ticket under smiths name so that he gets the update on what has happened and that it logs it as being fixed for him, which helpdesk software will allow me to do this?

2. I like the idea of that, the problem is i can't see many teachers using it unless it's drilled into their brain that it's there to use, any suggestions on how to go about this?

3. I like this idea, didn't think of that, no problems i can think with it, will be especially usefull for helping people get used to windows 7 / office 2010 in september if i can get it sorted by then

I was thinking of allowing students to send support requests, possibly walking into a mine field with this idea though, is there any helpdesk software whereby i can block access to specific users, so if it is abused it can be blocked? Then i have the issue of kids jumping on there mates account to abuse it so i would need a way around that too....hmm

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    We use Spiceworks and just set the creators email to the person who phoned / came to the door so they get the emails thanking them for logging the fault etc, it makes life a lot easier for us and works well, and helps encourage them to use the system, could you not do that?

Thank Post
    Possibly but i don't like spiceworks, i find it a bit bloated and being an all-in-one system it doesn't have the customisability that i would like, i'd prefer a system that's hosted directly in IIS or something

Thank Post
    OP SmartDesk?

http://opsoftware.co.uk/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    A few different things you can try.

1 - No matter where the jobs come in from, or the size of the job, log it onto your support desk software and make sure it can email out updates and closures. Even if you have a password change then the students and staff should be used to getting a followup email saying the password has been changed. If you have ongoing tickets then try to use the support desk software to keep a track of all communication.
    I have to disagree here. Logging down every little thing will be an utter waste of time. For things like password changes you will be logging it when you could be doing something else. It will be just quicker to change the password there and then and send the student on his way. If someone phones up and for example they need help setting up outlook, you remote in and get them sorted while they are on the phone. Logging that is another waste of time.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 19th May 2010 at 11:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If someone phones up and for example they need help setting up outlook, you remote in and get them sorted while they are on the phone. Logging that is another waste of time.
    Its not a waste of time in that instance as it may help highlight an area for staff training / a new informational video etc to reduce those calls in future. If you write the ticket well you document what you do in it, if its something end user repeatable such as setting up Outlook, so they could also use it as a Knowledgeable.

I use our helpdesk to look at trends in calls, problem PCs and problem users and bring them to my line managers attention, especially when one or two are causing a large number of tickets that way it can be factored in that they do need more CPD or they can be "ushered" onto relivant internal CPD sessions to try to improve them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry still dont agree.

Any bigger jobs that cant get done on the spot are e-mailed to a shared inbox. We mark our own colour categories next to the job to indicate who is dealing with it and flag it when its completed. Does the job for us.

Having had our team cut from 5 to 2 in a month we simply dont have enough time in the day to log simple stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    We have a mailbox setup in exchange which only accepts emails from external (we have software licensing sent to here as members of staff leave and updates don't get sent through whereas generic address is always where), staff and sixthformers. it it then collected via fetchmail and put into Request Tracker There is an option on the homepage for quick ticket create which can be done and then just stick in the email address of the member of staff who requested it and then it can send a customized you ticket has been closed response etc. It also has a function whereby you can put articles in etc for how to do things although you need a login to access this.

toby

Thank Post
    Sorry still dont agree.

Any bigger jobs that cant get done on the spot are e-mailed to a shared inbox. We mark our own colour categories next to the job to indicate who is dealing with it and flag it when its completed. Does the job for us.

Having had our team cut from 5 to 2 in a month we simply dont have enough time in the day to log simple stuff.
    i know exactly where your coming from, and i actually agree, but due to certain reasons i won't go in to it needs to be done, i'll PM you as to why as i would prefer not to say here

Thank Post
    We use my little helpdesk, works fairly well most of the time. We do try to log all jobs that come in via other mediums (I'm probably the worst at this).

Also if used properly you can keep notes with the job, which is handy if the job get elevated or you come back to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    We use my little helpdesk, works fairly well most of the time. We do try to log all jobs that come in via other mediums (I'm probably the worst at this).

Also if used properly you can keep notes with the job, which is handy if the job get elevated or you come back to it.
    my little helpdesk is the other name for what is now opsmartdesk isn't it? or am i thinking of something else? that's the one we were thinking of buying

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry still dont agree.

*Seriously* don't agree with you. If you can't log it you can't quantify it. It is not about being a jobsworth about it ... it is about problem management. If you are not logging frequent password changes from an individual then you might miss something. It could be technical, it could be a student avoiding a class ... if you don't log user error calls then how can you work out what areas need more user training?

If nothing is going to be done with the information anyway why even bother with a support desk system? Dry wipe board would work just as well.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

john (20th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    my little helpdesk is the other name for what is now opsmartdesk isn't it? or am i thinking of something else? that's the one we were thinking of buying
    My Little Helpdesk has changed. More information available in the following thread. FITS Compliant Web Based Helpdesk - ** RELEASED **

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast