+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Restrict Kids from Installing ANYTHING in Technical; @Geoff - Would I be right in assuming that the ADM template shown below will only disable the USB storage ...
    Thank Post

Re: Restrict Kids from Installing ANYTHING

@Geoff - Would I be right in assuming that the ADM template shown below will only disable the USB storage if it is already running? I looked on a PC that has never seen a USB stick and the registry keys are not there. In this instance the policy will have no effect. A user could install a USB key and use it until the PC was rebooted. I think you need to modify the permissions on USBSTOR.INF and USBSTOR.PNF to prevent installation in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    How about a GPO ADM template? Per Machine but meh..

1.) Take the following text, copy it, and paste it into a text document. Then, save it as USBSTOR.ADM.

Code:
    CLASS MACHINE
    CATEGORY "Custom Policies"
    KEYNAME "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor"
      POLICY "USB Mass Storage Installation"
       EXPLAIN "When this policy is enabled, USB mass storage device permissions can be changed by using the drop down box.

Selecting 'Grant Permission' will allow USB mass storage devices to be installed.  Selecting 'Deny Permission' will prohibit
    the installation of USB mass storage devices.

IF REMOVING THIS POLICY: Reset to original setting and let policy propegate before deleting policy."
         PART "Change Settings:" DROPDOWNLIST REQUIRED
           VALUENAME "Start"
           ITEMLIST
            NAME "Grant Permission" VALUE NUMERIC 3 DEFAULT
            NAME "Deny Permission" VALUE NUMERIC 4
           END ITEMLIST
         END PART
       END POLICY
    END CATEGORY
    2.) Open a group policy management console, and right click on "administrative templates" under "Computer Configuration". Select "Add/Remove Templates".

3.) Browse to the text document you just saved and click OK. You'll now see "Custom Policies" under "Administrative Templates". Right click on it, select "View", then select "Filtering". Uncheck the bottom box, labeled "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed".

4.) Click ok. Now you'll see the USB policy available for use under the custom policy heading. From there, you can enable or disable it just like any other policy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well no. Normal users can install drivers. At least here they can't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoyG
    It means that we don't have to have any restrictions on the workstations whatsoever.
    You still need all protection from the no 1 threat, that is access to sensitive data. This is the main reason for policy lock down. Destruction of the local PC is a concern, but I can't say i've ever really had a problem with that. My machines just get re-built as software sets change.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    we do by fact that we run rm here...

what they have done is allowed programs to run from program files with out a problem but students cant access program files dir etc...

then also if want to run exe outside of that addem to list of allowed files and paths..

russ
    This seems like the sanest approach. Let any program run on C:\ (say), but everything else is restricted. Then deny them access to browse the C:\ drive using group policy. (you could go tighter and allow only "c:\program files", but there's bound to be some piece of educational software written circa 1992 that you have to put in c:\ because it hates spaces in paths)

Obviously if you need to run apps from windows shares etc., you can just add them to the path rule in software restrictions, but just make sure they can't write to anywhere they can execute from.

Thank Post

Hmmm ... Isn't it a bit risky allowing execute from C:\.
    All the users temporary internet files are likely to be on C:\.
    The %temp% folder will be on C:\

Even denying access to browsing C:\ does not prevent a clever user who has found a way of getting a file into his/her temp folder from executing it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Hmmm ... Isn't it a bit risky allowing execute from C:\.
    All the users temporary internet files are likely to be on C:\.
    The %temp% folder will be on C:\

Even denying access to browsing C:\ does not prevent a clever user who has found a way of getting a file into his/her temp folder from executing it.
    I don't see the problem if all EXEs are restricted to running from Program Files and Windows and perhaps exceptions for other paths (as for the pre 1992 apps) thenn %temp% isn't issue.

Is there some way of using temp to graft a abitrary folder so that it appears to be path of the permitted paths?

Thank Post

@NetworkGeezer: I was really referring to sahmeepee's suggestion that any program be allowed to run from C:\ (and therefore anywhere on C: drive unless specifically exempt)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    @NetworkGeezer: I was really referring to sahmeepee's suggestion that any program be allowed to run from C:\ (and therefore anywhere on C: drive unless specifically exempt)
    Yeah, sorry if my post was a bit offhand. You'd obviously have to look very carefully at this. You could specifically disallow temp and your browser's cache folder or block everything on C:\ then open it back up folder-by-folder.

It definitely takes planning and testing, e.g. you may have problems with blocking shortcuts in the users' docs&settings (e.g. their own start menu) from running if you get it wrong.

Thank Post

Well, I'm new to software restriction policies, but I reckon it's better to start with a bucket with no holes and drill 'em where you need 'em rather that a leaky bucket which you hope you've fully patched.

I've blocked everything and excpeted the following list (I'll have to update this later when I get to work)

(REMOVED LIST FOR SECURITY REASONS) - If you want to see my list, PM me and I will send it...

So far I've not had any major problems. (actually that's a lie, I forget to include the path to the server shre where all managed software is installed from, and that caused the occasional error)
    If I get any apps which insist on running outside of Program Files, then it's a 2 minute job to add an extra path rule.

Maybe a WiKi on use of Software Restriction Policies is in order covering the set up and potential pitfalls.

Thank Post

Looks good.

In that scenario, can the user (a normal user) drag an exe file into their start menu and then run it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Users dont have write access to their Startmenus here.

Thank Post

I need to do more testing. I've been re-reading the SRP reference on technet and noticed the following things

1 - Avoid environment variables as they can be redefined to point to a different location

2 - If .LNK files can be excluded from the list of extensions which are checked, then the executable will still be subject to the SRP. This would mean that the user profile would not need to be exempt from the restriction.

Thank Post

OK, testing with SRP complete.

I tried removing LNK from the lsit of extensions in the SRP for students, but shortcuts still failed. It turns out there was a machine based SRP in effect. Now I did not set this up so I assume it is there as a local machine policy in XP. The machine based SRP extension list was taking priority which meant that LNK files were still being blocked. I created my own machine based SRP and applied to an OU which covers all PCs that students will use, and removed LNK files. Bingo

In summary then here's my setup...

1 - Machine based SRP with LNK removed from extension list (otherwise no changes to defaults)

2 - Users based SRP as follows...
    • Disallow all software by default
    • Remove LNK files from extension list
    • Default exemptions are sufficient to allow software installed under C:\Program Files to execute (limited users cannot write here)
    • Add exemptions for logon scripts \\(fqdn)\sysvol
    • Add exemptions for managed software installs \\(servername)\install
    • Add exemptions for network apps M:\
    • Add exemptions for an local apps not running from C:\Program Files (NB - Be as precise as possible!)

The only thing I have not done is a comprehensive analysis of the permissions on C:\WINDOWS to find any locations that limited users might have write access to e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP. If these exist, then they would need locking down with additional exemptions.

Thank Post

Good work AJ.

I assume for login script exemptions there is an entry for each DC hosting Active Directory.

Thank Post

This should cover that:

Add exemptions for logon scripts \\(fqdn)\sysvol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast