+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you prove you have been on-site? in Technical; My employer is looking for a way to check whether techs have visited their school by getting the school to ...
    Thank Post

How do you prove you have been on-site?

My employer is looking for a way to check whether techs have visited their school by getting the school to sign something. Can anybody recommend any digital solution for this? Obviously there is the signature on a piece of paper way of doing it but just interested to see how we can use technology to achieve this. Looking more toward a hand-held device application or similar.

Cheers all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Staff at my sites no I have been in if they see a bin full of empty RedBull Bottles

You may be overcomplicating it, if the records are for the school only then a sign in should be fine. In fact if they are following fire regulations they should have a sign in sheet for visitors anyway which could do double duty.

If the records need to be accessed by both the school and the managment company at any time then possibly one of the electronic class registration systems that uses RFID or barcodes at each site could act as a sign in/out system that would be accessable to both parties. Given your admin position though if this is for proving attendance the level of trust in this system would be low as you could change the records at any time. This would be an issue with almost any technical solution that you put in place as it would be editable.

If you wanted to get really technical about it you could have google Latitute on all staff mobiles and keep a track of the logs with some custom software to see how long they spent within the confines of the school. This may have privacy concerns and suffer from the same suspision as the above electronic solutions but it would be cool and zero hassle for the techs.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 7th May 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Haha I like your red bull comment

I'll look into Google latitude, sound promising. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    the body shape dent in my chair gets deeper!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Haha I like your red bull comment

I'll look into Google latitude, sound promising. Thanks.
    Of course, if any of your techs are particularly clued up and looking to skive off for the day, they could put their phones in to debug mode and enter a mock location... Not saying that they would, just that it's possible.

Thank Post
    Isnt there a mobile phone tracking system so parents can keep track of their kids?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tattoo a barcode on the forehead of each of your techs and have them scanned at reception?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the schools have static IP addresses, a web-based system could be set up where the tech accesses a "Check in" web page (perhaps with some form of PIN or ID). The resulting system should know which IP is assigned to which school in order to match check-ins for tech guys with schools.

Thank Post
    Trust?

Thank Post
    I agree with danrhodes. What ever happened to trust? Surely it is fairly straight forward to phone and check with a school if there is sufficient reason to doubt - e.g. following a complaint etc. Someone is presumably going to have to check these records and this makes extra work for someone. The New-Labour philosophy for education lives on!!

11. Thanks to fiendishlyclever from:

danrhodes (10th May 2010)

Thank Post
    In my previous job the company I worked for started issuing us with "job sheets", we'd basically write down what we had done while we were there along with the time we started and finished, the customer then signed this to say they were happy and we'd submit the sheets to the company as and when we returned to base along with any expense claims and petrol receipts. One customer also had me fill in a time sheet each time I visited to ensure they had their full allowance of hours out of the company.

you could probably setup the form as an online one and make the results availible to the customers then leave it up to them to raise any discrepancys.

I didn't mind doing this but I wouldn't be happy about being tracked by my employer, especially by something like lattitude - trust goes a long way.
    Last edited by Jamman960; 10th May 2010 at 09:01 PM.

rad
    Thank Post
    reply to an email on the schools email system.

I'd say trust is best

Thank Post
    If this really is just for the reason of "checking you have been there" and not job tracking / logging etc, then I agree with the above "trust" post.
    Failing that, surely you have to sign in and out at reception for each visit to adhere to visitor/fire regulations?

Thank Post
    apparently there has been an incident or two where schools are saying nobody turned up and the techs are saying they did but because of slackness with signing in there's no proof. It would seem that people should be just be made to sign in but my employer wants their own proof now as well. My main reason for wanting to use technology is to cut down on paperwork which depending on the school is normally a typed visit report. This is for primary schools having a few hours each - 2 schools per day. This isn't so bad if things tick over nicely but when something goes wrong and you need as much time as possible the last thing we want to do is having to worry about a visit report, if there's a quick easy way that does the job and satisfies the employer plus the school then jobs a good un. I can just forsee the current solution from my employer involving more paperwork is all.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure if this helps, but what I did/do was make use of our web helpdesk. While onsite I will create a ticket wich will list all of the required jobs and update it throughout the day. At the end of the day I complete the ticket, export as a PDF and email to the Primary Head. If anyone wanted to challenge me it would be timestamped and have their IP details!

If you don't have that kind of facility the easiest might just be paper-based? 10 minutes in Word or Publisher and 0.5p per copy in your reporpgraphics dept to get people off your back!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast