+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you prove you have been on-site? in Technical; Even a technical solution is trust based, as the school(s) would have to trust you not to edit the logs ...
    Thank Post
    Even a technical solution is trust based, as the school(s) would have to trust you not to edit the logs to say you'd been somewhere you hadn't. How about the regular visitors books at the schools? Cheap, already in place and completed by someone else so independently verifiable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Even a technical solution is trust based, as the school(s) would have to trust you not to edit the logs to say you'd been somewhere you hadn't. How about the regular visitors books at the schools? Cheap, already in place and completed by someone else so independently verifiable.
    I think this is the obvious method - after all, the receptionist or office staff usually see you and so can confirm that you were there. Simple and effective - if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Trust?
    Got it in one!

almost all methods you put in place, could be abused anyway, depending on the determination of the staff, to fraud when they were and weren't on site.

Thank Post
    If it is part of your job to write a report on the job, then it is done there and then. I'd rather make sure I have my reports done on site so it is fresh and accurate rather than "doing it later" and forgetting the details I need in order to have a successful knowledgebase for that establishment.
    I always ensure I speak to the appropriate people each visit so I'm known to be there - Office Staff / Bursar > Headteacher > Staff with the problem. Common courtesy to introduce yourself each time. It's a people problem not a technological one

Thank Post
    When BT came to change our internet connection they had to photography the equipment they'd installed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Tattoo a barcode on the forehead of each of your techs and have them scanned at reception?
    I suggested this idea for electronic registration of pupils...apparently this would not be allowed...some old tosh about "infringing human rights"...political correctness gone mad if you ask me...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I suggested this idea for electronic registration of pupils...apparently this would not be allowed...some old tosh about "infringing human rights"...political correctness gone mad if you ask me...
    This is where retinas are handy, they're life's little bar codes...

OT: I'd set up a basic help desk system if you can as mb2k01has suggested, using tickets to track jobs. When the techie completes the ticket, you could have it emailed to the schools head/office to confirm (although I'd probably go with a 'reply only if you disagree' method).

Thank Post
    Hi

Trust is the starting place but if you really do not trust them and have to put a tech solution in have a look at data track and install it in all company vehicles and then you can see where they are. The other way I have seen done is using pda like the stone engineers or delivery men do. I think tom tom have a system that links to the satnav.

Richard
    Last edited by ricki; 11th May 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Oooo I dream of the day we get a company vehicle. Luxury. No more regular expensive tire and cam belt changes.

All good replies here and totally common sense, I agree about the trust thing but I think my employers are worried about the SLA and the school possibly saying we broke the contract or something. I just don't want them to give me loads more paperwork cos they probably will. Let's just what happens first. I'll moan later

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Every school should be having every visitor and staff member sign in and out in some fashion, for fire safety etc.
    Here we use software called VeriCool Reception which runs on a touch-screen you have to sign in to before you can come through the main security door of the school http://www.vericool.co.uk/schoolreception.html It also prints out labels for visitors and is useful for fire drills (or the real thing!) too.

That coupled with trust and the fact that something was reported broken and now it isn't (ie you fixed it) should be enough to prove you were there!

Failing that, you could get the school to pull up the CCTV footage of you arriving and leaving, which is useful for showing how long you were there for as well
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 13th May 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

The school vistor book will time you in and out and they will watch that. I know I used to work in several schools. The big problem comes when you remotely repair computers and they cannot see you working. Most staff think you have not been and things just fix themselves.

If you use remote connections call the school before you start and after you finish to let them know what you are working on and educate them that you can fix things remotely and they get a lot better with you they also find some jobs get fixed a lot quicker and promote that.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    The big problem comes when you remotely repair computers and they cannot see you working. Most staff think you have not been and things just fix themselves.
    You get that even in single site - I had someone yesterday say "oh, my screen was fine this morning [after a screen resolution problem the previous day], so I don't know what that was". Could it be, perhaps, that I fixed it after you told me about it?!

Thank Post
    +1 for the school visitor book although we all know it isn't always signed.
    +1 for trust

How about agreeing that all techs ring your boss every time you arrive at a site "to tell him/her you arrived safely", equally you can ring when you leave to say you're on the way home. This puts the ball in their court, if you don't ring in then your boss needs to call your mobile and failing that the school "just to make sure your safe".

Also, if school are expecting you to arrive, surely they are going to ring your boss/office to find out where you are if you don't turn up???

Thank Post
    We basically do something similar to what mb2k01 said - we use an electronic job tracking suite (itdirect) ITDirect - Online IT Help Desk, Incident Management & Reporting which emails the requestor, and optionally, the principal on job updates and completion. It's relatively cheap, but not free. Otherwise, I would say school based email is an option, though trust would be the main goal. I did have a guy in our of our schools here that was forced to check in with the office & carry a radio while on site due to trust / disappearance issues; needless to say he's gone now and our new tech in that school doesn't have the issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12