+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Make using Truecrypt as easy as possible for teachers in Technical; So, I'm playing this weekend with encryption (as report season coming up and it seems like me/teacher/head will get shot ...

Thank Post

Make using Truecrypt as easy as possible for teachers

So, I'm playing this weekend with encryption (as report season coming up and it seems like me/teacher/head will get shot if class3's reports get lost on a bus and published in the Yorks Morning Pillar so ...
    I've 2 plans....

1 buy some hardware encrypted pendrives but I've no idea how they work and what's the easiest one to use so I'd welcome any info there

and
    2 preffered (as its cheaper) use truecrypt

Now I've only got to do about 7/school and I can autoit (or use the msi in the other thread) to get it installed on teacher's laptops/smartboard machines but I need for the teachers to able to use it as simply as possible (and I don't think clicking on automount inside the truecrypt program is easy enough!)

How are you using it?

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    mm - found the tray icon

Are people encrypting whole drive/partition or creating an encrypted file container?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    The Encrypted Pen Drives are the easiest way I've found Si You just plug it in the PC, it loads up the software asking for the password, you enter that and voilla it just works.

4. Thanks to john from:

SimpleSi (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    What sort are you using John?

Thank Post
    Safestick, well I'm using one of them, but that is what we are getting. We will be getting from from Proband as they are the cheapest place for them, as well as being a lovely sponsor on here They are very easy to work just like the Integral cheap ones but more secure.

7. Thanks to john from:

SimpleSi (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    We have a couple of the Integral Rubber ones and they seem to work a treat. 6 times of entering your password wrong and it wipes the drive, plus they are AES 256bit encryption.

9. Thanks to timbo343 from:

SimpleSi (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    We have a couple of the Integral Rubber ones and they seem to work a treat. 6 times of entering your password wrong and it wipes the drive, plus they are AES 256bit encryption.
    and the re-format works, as I gave that a try when I got mine

The Safesticks are more intelligent you can use software to control them, remotely reset them over the internet if they are lost so next time they see an internet connection they wipe themselves (a bit like a Win Mobile phone setup to Sync with the right version of Exchange) and have some other clever tools on the software.

11. Thanks to john from:

SimpleSi (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thansk for the feedback - I was thinking that the Truecrypt solution was too cheap (even more me )

But I still need as cheap as possible as I just want them as a backside covering item for school reports (not the most sensitive of data I'd hope we'd all agree) so I'm going to buy a an integral one to try out.

Now all my teacher laptops run as admin but will they work OK if the user doesn't have admin privleges? (as a head from a school I don't work at was asking about them for her school and I suspect their laptops are locked down)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    how much do these Safesticks cost? Ish?
    Do you need admin rights to run the .exe on the pen drive?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Thansk for the feedback - I was thinking that the Truecrypt solution was too cheap (even more me )

But I still need as cheap as possible as I just want them as a backside covering item for school reports (not the most sensitive of data I'd hope we'd all agree) so I'm going to buy a an integral one to try out.

Now all my teacher laptops run as admin but will they work OK if the user doesn't have admin privleges? (as a head from a school I don't work at was asking about them for her school and I suspect their laptops are locked down)

regards

Simon
    Si

I know that the intergral ones work fine just as long as you havent blocked any exes running from any local group policies. On our network we found a problem that we have created a software restriction on drive D: E: and F: etc to stop exes running from usb sticks. The only thing we had to do was just remove this and they work fine even with locked down accounts. They don't require you to install anything, it just works off the stick.

15. Thanks to timbo343 from:

SimpleSi (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    and the re-format works, as I gave that a try when I got mine

The Safesticks are more intelligent you can use software to control them, remotely reset them over the internet if they are lost so next time they see an internet connection they wipe themselves (a bit like a Win Mobile phone setup to Sync with the right version of Exchange) and have some other clever tools on the software.
    I think we looked at the safe stick option but decided it was going to cost too much, but we liked the management idea of it all.

Thank Post
    These Safesticks certainly sound good - I am interested in the price also if you are able to share.

I might grab one as a test unit to have a play - I notice a few sites offer an evaluation unit, not sure if I could put up with the additional sales calls though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I think we looked at the safe stick option but decided it was going to cost too much, but we liked the management idea of it all.
    Yeh they are costly things (pricing is on the Proband website so sign into your account if you are a member or PM them on here to sign up) they are the cheapest place for them as they got the big NHS contract for them and as a result of that buying power they got there price cannot be beaten.

The reason we will go for them is they are the only ones that seem to be recommended and approved by our dear friends Tim and its all about ticking boxes

Thank Post
    SafeStick's management software is certainly powerful, but we simply couldn't justify the cost - something like £750 for the console and £20/1GB stick. Encrypted drives (all types, not just SafeStick) also have the disadvantage that they take about 10 seconds from inserting to being usable, which I don't think is acceptable.

I'm about to get people using TrueCrypt - container folders, not whole drive encryption, with autorun files / right-click options to mount/dismount. Thanks in a huge way to Arthur for helping me with this.

Thank Post
    Well I've got an Integral Crypto drive.

Now I've "discovered" TTM (Truecrypt traveller mode) - there's not much difference in ease of use but the Integral screen is simpler (but non-standard so I'll need to show them how to use it) whereas the TTM uses standard windows dialog box (but has 5 unnecessay options!)

The Integral involves little setting up (just the password really) but TTM needs (a little bit more work)

The Integral makes the 1st autorun partition look like a CD ROM so I can enable CD-ROM autorun but still keep USB Autorun disabled so that's good.

I think on balance the Integrals win

regards
    Simon
    PS Now - what's the reality of long passwords/brute force attacks.

How long would it take the Yorks Morning Fence (employing a spotty faced youth) to find out the names of class 1 and how they did in literacy on a normal 2 year old laptop if the password was 6 chars?

Anyone here done that sort of thing (and is able to talk about it with killing me afterwards )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast