+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, What do you do for an ICT Technician Practical Test? in Technical; Hi, We've got interviews for an ICT Technician tomorrow and need a half hour practical test, what would you suggest? ...
    Thank Post

What do you do for an ICT Technician Practical Test?

Hi,

We've got interviews for an ICT Technician tomorrow and need a half hour practical test, what would you suggest?

I was thinking dodgy RAM but the machines are Fujitsu-Siemens so all the case is non-standard and you need to dismantle loads to do the simple things.

I was thinking give them a disconnected PC and have them connect is up and find that there's no pictures (contrast turned down) but need a bit more than just that really?

Help!

Thank Post

Re: What do you do for an ICT Technician Practical Test?

2 computers (we use laptops), a length of wire, cable making tools, user has to complete a file transfer from one computer to the other, we usually use an ISO of office. Or if you don't want them to make a cable have two, a straight patch and a x patch, then they will just need to spot the difference.

They would then have to set up the IPs etc and share the folder and transfer the file. simple....

Thank Post

This one for a windows box - disable the NIC in device manager and tell them a user has reported it as not being able to logon to the domain. Give them a local user admin account and tell them to find what's wrong. Hopefully they should check the physical wiring, and you can confirm this is OK. They should see activity lights on the NIC (check this - some cheapy boards don't have them anymore!) and maybe do an IPCONFIG or look at the support information in the GUI. They won't of course be expecting that you "made" a fault by disabling something rather than doctoring some hardware, so it's good to see if people are as thorough as you expect. If they get to enable the board, and your network uses DHCP, see if they can then make the jump to pinging the domain name to see if they can enumerate a DC (ask them something like "how would you now prove that the user will be able to logonm without knowing their account details, but knowing the domain").

HTH

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Do you have any spare old PCs?

Put one fully assembled in front of them and ask them to strip it down to components and identify them (what it is, who makes it, its size/speed) and then put it all back together.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Do you have any spare old PCs?

Put one fully assembled in front of them and ask them to strip it down to components and identify them (what it is, who makes it, its size/speed) and then put it all back together.
    I have yr 7's in extended school classess that can do that, I'd want a bit more from a technician than being able to build a PC !

Thank Post

Computer:
    1. Plugged in but not switched on at the mains (plug not in plain site)
    2. Network cable not fully engaged
    3. Monitor brightness and contrast turned right down
    4. Keyboard and mouse plugged into wrong ports (PS2)
    5. Sound card disabled

Scenario:
    A teacher says that the sound was not working on the computer and a couple of pupils said that they could fix it. They seemed to be messing around for ages and now nothing works. Can you have a look and see what's wrong?

Leave a set of tools next to the computer, along with a spare monitor and sound card. If they're methodical and thinking clearly they should sort out the problems. If they go straight to taking the case off you know you've got problems.

Thank Post

ask them couple of questions on printer problems.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzard
    2 computers (we use laptops), a length of wire, cable making tools, user has to complete a file transfer from one computer to the other,
    Would use my initiative and use my USB Pen drive

Thank Post

Thanks guys, will piece something together.

Thank Post

I have two points;

First of all, your test needs to be based around the person specification for the job. You cannot really discriminate against one applicant that cannot build a PC from scratch if the person spec does not ask for it.

Secondly, try to base your tests around what the technician is likely to be doing day to day. It's no use employing someone who can solve some ingenious puzzle that you set up if they can't do the more menial stuff.

Having said that, one nast thing I have done in the past is to swap two keys on the keyboard around. One of the keys swapped should be for a letter of a password which the applicant should try to use.

Thank Post

Agree with AJ.

Combined sound/display/network faults and see how many they get.

If they get stuck (due to nerves or lack of knowledge - show them how to fix that step and then move onto another one)
    [EDIT]
    Tell them at beginning of interview (or in waiting room) what the test will basically be about in order to remove the nerves issue- the more relaxed they are - the better idea you'll get of their capabilities
    [/EDIT]

Try to make it as close as possible to real world scenario for the job you expect them to be doing.

regards
    Simon

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

You'd be supprised how few people who think they know about computers are unable to identify parts. Its a nice simple test that give you an idea of their background knowledge.

You should really include a printer problem, either lack of toner, wrong cartridge (but the right shaped cartridge a la HP deskjets) or something with a print server or print assignment script.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts

SYSMAN_MK exactly my words to webman before i read this thread. What i would be looking at is a person who has enthusiasm and a true love of IT, with a good personality, who is not frightened to get his/her hands dirty when asked to clean all the workstations in the school. All to often you will get a person who has quite a knowledge base of computers but will turn their nose up at a request to clean things IT related eh webman.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    but will turn their nose up at a request to clean things IT related eh webman.
    Too busy doing stuff you delegate to me to clean computers!! 8)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    Leave a set of tools next to the computer, along with a spare monitor and sound card. If they're methodical and thinking clearly they should sort out the problems. If they go straight to taking the case off you know you've got problems.
    I think you have to be fair here. People do things in an interview (especially practical) that they wouldn't normally do due to nerves. Plus they know someone is watching them and try to get the job done as fast as possible so no-one is waiting for them, therefore don't think straight.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    ask them couple of questions on printer problems.
    You EVIL person!

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK
    Would use my initiative and use my USB Pen drive
    Haha, do you think they'd be impressed (by, as you said, using your initative) or annoyed . I think there would be quite a few people who would actually be impressed with that, but they'd probably clarify the issue afterwards, haha.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast