+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Provide Internet access to non-school laptops etc? in Technical; We have a project where governors are wanting to create a cafe with Internet access for Sixth formers. The build ...

Thank Post

Provide Internet access to non-school laptops etc?

We have a project where governors are wanting to create a cafe with Internet access for Sixth formers.

The build is about to commence and they want me to provide wireless internet access so that students can bring in their own laptops and mobile devices and access the net.

I have two problems. We have a good filtering solution as the proxy that requires domain credentials.

Whilst i am happy to instruct students how to set this up on a laptop, on trials every time you open a new browser window, it will ask for them again.

The next option is to use the RM safteynet filtering solution, which may be too restrictive for what the target audience 17-18 years olds in a relaxed social environment.

My other option is to bring in a seperate broadband connection purely to meet this need. I would then need to configure a software solution to audit and record all activity. Not something that i think is going to be cheap or easy.

Has anyone tackled a similar project, and how dod you manage it?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We also need to do this. the plan (so far) is to have the wireless on a separate VLAN network address range that connects to smoothwall.
    Smoothwall will then authenticate users for web access and firewall teh rest of the network. We will have no encryption on the wireless so it should be switch on and go.
    (hopefully)

Thank Post
    Could you install another proxy server which itself authenticates, so that students connect to that instead, with a simpler setup? Just another Squid box I guess. You could also use that to audit etc. As above with wireless on a seperate VLAN, but you shoudln't need a Smoothwall box too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread