+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Recording from Sky/4OD/IPlayer etc. in Technical; Is it possible to perminantly record programs from Sky Player/I Player etc onto PC. When I looked at I player ...

Thank Post

Recording from Sky/4OD/IPlayer etc.

Is it possible to perminantly record programs from Sky Player/I Player etc onto PC.
    When I looked at I player is seems to be that the rights manamgement will only let you watch it a certain number of times for a certain lenght of time. It is possible without "getting some software"?

I ask as one of the teachers keeps repeatedly telling me that Sky+ has made DVD's obsolete and they can't keep any important documentaries. I did point out DVD's had made video's obsolete and that a (HDD) DVD recorder would solve the problem but that argument doesn't seem to have sunk in.

Second question, can you hook a PC up to a DVD recorder? Do I need a posh DVD recorder to do it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect that there's no legal way of downloading any of the streaming media which is normally DRMed

You can download iPlayer stuff using po-ru.com: iPlayer Downloader - basically, it pretends to be an iPhone and collects the MP4 stream.

Not sure what you want to do by hooking up the PC to the DVD recorder - if you've got an MP4 (or any other file) then you can just make a video DVD and burn it on the PC.

If the programmes you want to keep are on Freeview or Freesat then buying a Sagem box (Sagemcom Digital - Range of Freesat and FreeView Set Top Boxes for BBC and ITV) might be a possibility. I've got the Freeview 67320 version which was just under 100 from Asda. It records the transport stream (basically MPG2) to the internal hard disc but has a USB socket so you can plug in a USB drive and export the video on to that.

Thank Post
    Although it is technically possible to record the content it is in breach of the iplayer terms and conditions, particularly sections 5 and 12

I know that because I was asked to do the exact same thing recently (and declined)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Second question, can you hook a PC up to a DVD recorder? Do I need a posh DVD recorder to do it?
    Yes you can, no you don't.

I can stream stuff from my Liteon HDD/DVD recorder via SCART to the composite video in on my PC and use the Cyberlink software that came with the PC to capture the stream. If the thing still recorded on to DVD I wouldn't bother, though. Far quicker to take a recorded disc to the PC and rip it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Not sure what you want to do by hooking up the PC to the DVD recorder - if you've got an MP4 (or any other file) then you can just make a video DVD and burn it on the PC.
    Play the I player straight out through the DVD recorder and record it. Thouh judging by Kipling's post that may something I am not doing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    straight out through the DVD recorder and record it
    Of course, asking about recording in that direction would make more sense than the way I assumed .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread