+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Remove DeepFreeze in Technical; We've been gifted 60 machines from our local Council which appear to have had DeepFreeze installed on them. It looked ...

Thank Post

Remove DeepFreeze

We've been gifted 60 machines from our local Council which appear to have had DeepFreeze installed on them.

It looked to have been removed, in that when logging on locally, there was no evidence.

However, since popping the beasties on our Domain, when we log in a Deep Freeze message pops up ("Please note that DeepFreeze is in use on this machine!").

There doesn't appear to be a DeepFreeze option in the add/remove programs, nor anything in the Program Files directory.

The only answer on Google is very long winded and mentions booting the machine in 'thawed' mode (if I knew what that was I'd try it), so I'm a little stumped...

(posted on behalf of our 6th form 'assistant' who is currently trying to sort these machines out for DT)

Thank Post

Re: Remove DeepFreeze

We have deepfreeze, the way we remove deepfreeze is to set the client machines to thawed mode and then uninstall deepfreeze. However, we do both the thaw mode setting and uninstall from the deepfreeze server. I am not sure if it can be uninstalled without the DF server putting the client into a thawed state, and I would assume that you dont have the DF server too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think it uses a key which would mean you would need a server to allow this unless they've setup them all up with a permanent key? The easiest way of sorting it out though is to linux boot fdisk it then install XP back over the top lol not a pleasant prospect!

Wes

Thank Post

Well, I think we have sorted this out... I think the council had 'removed' DeepFreeze to the point that they had 'thawed' the machines and uninstalled it for us.

What remained, however, was the Prog Files directory, and a startup message. That wasn't obvious until I did some digging with the 6thformer...

I think - hope - that there should be no more references now (fingers crossed)

Thank Post

you need the password to thaw it
    and you need the password to uninstall it

if you dont know the password you can create a one time token, which will let you in.

if you contact faronics they should be able to help you out.

www.faronics.com
    ill see if i can find the uk phone number for them ive got it lying around somewhere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread