+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, What do I need to do ... in Technical; A pupil has brought in a file with an odp extension. I realise this is an Open Office presentation file ...
    Thank Post

What do I need to do ...

A pupil has brought in a file with an odp extension. I realise this is an Open Office presentation file but I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to open the file without having Open Office installed. Is there a converter for PowerPoint, or Smart Notebook or anything Please?

Thank Post
    Am I missing something here, can't you just download Openoffice or even openoffice portable to open the file? then save as a .ppt
    Last edited by rush_tech; 14th April 2010 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could use the ODF viewer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech View Post
    Am I missing something here, can't you just download Openoffice or even openoffice portable to open the file? then save as a .ppt
    I could do this but I am attempting to avoid having a non standard piece of software on a workstation. That's non-standard to the school you understand - the school uses MS Office.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Thank Post
    Open office can export MS Office files. If you determined not to install open office on your own machine then tell the kid to go home and export it as a powerpoint file.

We get asked for the convert OpenOffice files about once a month, so I have open office on my PC for this purpose.

6. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

leco (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Can't Office 2007 natively open these files? - handy to have a copy installed somewhere (as it is Open Office I guess)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    Can't Office 2007 natively open these files? - handy to have a copy installed somewhere (as it is Open Office I guess)
    Yes I think 2007 does but currently school has Office 2003, will have a play on my home machine which is 2007. However, moving across to 2007 is in the school summer schedule.

Thank Post
    I've always had OO installed on my machine for such requests. I've also found it better at recovering corrupted files that MS office couldn't open.

Thank Post
    I put OO on our student machine image to save this kind of hassle

Thank Post
    I had the same question asked to me this week. A staff member was sent an email from another staff member with an ODP file attached to it. We still run Office 2003 so it was either install OO or find another alternative. A google search turned up this >> Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office . It installs a toolbar into Word, Powerpoint, etc.. with two buttons to either import an OO document or export an Office document into an OO compatibile document. When you run it for the first time it will open your web browser and nag about registering. I just closed the window and it never asked after further uses of the plugin.

Thank Post
    Surely there is little difference between installing a converter and actually installing OpenOffice? (both are currently non-standard for your workstation build)

OpenOffice can be easily pushed out by GPO or other methods and it's nice to give people the choice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Surely there is little difference between installing a converter and actually installing OpenOffice? (both are currently non-standard for your workstation build)

OpenOffice can be easily pushed out by GPO or other methods and it's nice to give people the choice.
    Very true. New images I create include Open Office along with Microsoft Office, however in the instance above it made more sense for me to install a convertor versus another productivity suite.

Thank Post
    Zamzar? I used that today to quickly convert a word processing document from OpenOffice to 2003......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im sure i have seen something you can push out that works like the Office 2007 compatibility pack. I just cant find it.

PS: I think the thread should be renamed and moved into the Office Software board.

Thank Post
    I did, in the end resort to installing OpenOffice on my own workstation, converted the files and put them back into the pupil's own folders.

Just to fill out the environment - my users are confused enough about the software that they currently use without bombarding them with more choices. Yes I know it's a case of education and training but right now they wouldn't welcome either. There will possibly be a mountain for them to climb after the "upgrade" to Windows 7 and Office 2010. What I don't want at this stage is to set up potential barriers to their reception of the new ways of working that will inevitably bring.

FN-GM: I am happy for the thread to be moved - it just seemed appropriate at the time to post it in How do you when that's what I was asking. As the thread has progressed however, it has turned more into a discussion of the merits and de-merits of the various options.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, my issue has now been resolved.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information